Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2011 GT opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Thumbs up Outlander 2011 GT opinion

Hi everybody,
This is my first post ever and I am starting with my mini dilemma....
Me and my wife are hunting for small decent SUV. We are kind of in the middle between Honda CRV 2012 and Outlander 2011 GT AWD. I test drove both cars and I am in love with the Outlander. The Honda also has its own thing, however my heart says Outlander buy my brain somehow says CRV . I am saying that because I did research on both vehicles and there very small info on the Outlander also the dependability rate and value rating are kind a low compared to the CRV ( according to JD power and automobilemag).
I would like to find out what is the reliability of the Outlander what should I expect from it. The cars that we looked were Outlander 2011 GT AWD no Navi, it had 45k miles it was 18000$ on the sticker (see the link) I guess I can knock them down with 1500$ and 2012 CRV LX AWD with 41k miles goes for 19k$. I am not aware if the Outlander is still under warranty however I am willing to pay for 3rd party extended warranty if the factory is expired as I am not mechanic and I do very few things on cars. Any advice and info on that dilemma and common problems on that vehicle is HUGELY appreciated!
Regards and have a LOOOOONG weekend!

Last edited by ichko; 02-17-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM

Mitsu's full warranty is 60K miles and drivetrain warranty is 100K miles.

Very decent 230HP V6, great 6-speed AT, best in class AWD.
Otherwise then possibly a bit better mileage I do not see how CRV can be a choice.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 AM

More room. Cooler features on the gt. Plenty if power. Paddle shifters. Rockford fosgate with 10" sub! Common man! The crv is so plain. The s-awc rocks dude. You really notice it in the snow. Maybe with it you might learn to do a thing or two on cars. You csn buy the japan parts to make the upper glove box heated and cooled!

As for reliability CR gave the newer mitsubishis good ratings. The short time chrysler owned mitsubishi seemed to be when there were alot of issues...especially in the rclipse. But then again. ...it's chrysler. ****ty pentistar.

Dont get me wrong, hondas make excellent everything. But the outlander gt rocks. ..... and you picked a bias forum lol

Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by boogunoogun
hondas make excellent everything.
Excellent Pilot. Excellent S2000. Excellent Fit.
CRV? Not that much.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM

Well engine wise. I've never heard bad things about their engines. bikes, lawn mowers ect. jets, haha. What do you have against the crv? I'm not a huge fan of the crv, but they seem reliable.

In fact I hated the fit. for the money great car, but the suspension is awful! At least a couple years ago when my fiancé test drove one.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 PM

We looked at the CRV when we were looking for ours. We didn't have a crazy amount of money and the Mitsu looked great on paper. We test drove the CRV and it was just a wee bit small. Test drove the Outie and it was a great vehicle. We got it with 30k on the clock and it has been a great vehicle. Past the necessary maintenance (fluids & belts), the only issues I've had were the following:
  • wheel liners would come unsnapped and allow the liner to fall into the wheel, burning it away.
  • rear wheel sensor went out at 45k miles...sent the vehicle into limp home mode
  • Rear output differential seal started leaking on driver's side. $5 seal and maybe an hour labor. upon inspection of the cv shaft, the shaft was a bit worn at 105k miles.
  • The Outie is sensitive to the tire you put on it. OEM for me was Geolanders...I never had an issue with them and got good mileage. Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires are light truck tires and performed great, but dropped gas mileage by 4mpg. Bridgestone Ecopia tires brought gas mileage up again, but felt spongy...they do decent in snow.

Like any vehicle, keep the fluids and whatnot maintained and you'll have a great car. with 45k on the clock, you'll likely be looking at changing out the tranny fluid, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. Unless you go with Amsoil fluid, transmission fluid is dealer only. They also only do a drain & fill, which I'm not a fan of and the '07 service manual states fluid is changed by flushing it.

Ours has been great. I think the wife is pushing 140k by now and it is doing great. I am getting some light tapping from my lifters, but that is not really an issue.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the great input, I just spoke with Mitsubishi dealer and they confirmed that the 10 years drive train warranty is available to the first owner only. If somebody enter more common issues that will be great!
Thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM

dealer's right the 10yr/100k mile warranty is only for first owner. Used warranty is 5yr/60k mile...so you still have some warranty left.