Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2016 Air Compression Clutch sounds

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 AM
Default Outlander 2016 Air Compression Clutch sounds

Hello all Mitsubishi fellows. As the new outlander 2016 owner. I am very pleased with this new car by all meanings. However, the one problem that always triggers me is the air compression clutch sounds. it keep on and on. i am seeking advice to reduce or eliminate it. Since i am in love with this car. Your help will keep me from "Divorcing" this baby. Appreciate your helps

Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Why not have the dealer deal with it ? Is this a normal noise?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 PM

You shouldn't hear the clutch with the windows up. Or it shouldn't be going on and off so frequenty to bother you. A clutch that goes on and off frequently is usually a sign of improper refrigerant charge.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 PM

I also have a 2016 Outlander. Please describe the noise issue better. Is it just the clicking on and off of the clutch? Or is there some other noise?

Normally, the sound of the clutch going on and off in an Outlander is not any louder than that of most other cars. And the newer Outlanders have pretty good sound deadening insulation as compared to older ones. I dont find anything with mine that is out of the ordinary. Perhaps you have something wrong and need to ask the dealer. They will know right away if the sound is normal or not.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM

Centerline's comment is most interesting, his car is new too. It proves it may not be normal despite being a new car.
It sounds like it came slightly low of freon... That causes
the compressor to activate the low safety switch(suction side, big cold pipe) . As soon as it shuts off, the presure rises until it sucks down below threshold again. If you hear it "short cycling" it is low on freon or not particularly hot outside. (most cars don't cycle at all. GM does this, others use a txv valve, some only use an fixed orifice) All this is designed to prevent freezing up the evaparator and/or to save fuel. If it cycles more than every 10 or 20 seconds, take it in... It could have a orifice restriction, shutting it on the high side which is bad for the compressor unit. Hope this helps folks who have these symptoms. Same for all cars & some land based systems too.. Stay cool ya'll. �� Ciao

Old 08-05-2016, 10:43 PM

I don't think I have this occurring in my 2016. Maybe take the car in to be inspected?

Old 08-06-2016, 07:32 AM

The factory pretty much puts in the bare minimum of everything. Compressor might need more freon perhaps. Plausible for sure. Or could just be a defective compressor. It happens. Should be under warranty. So, no big deal. Just the time it takes to go to the dealer. Mitsu tends to take good care of customers. (my horror stories are Honda... dont/wont own Honda anymore).