Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander front cross member recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 PM
Default Outlander front cross member recall

Curious if anyone has actually had their cross member replaced under the recall. Or did dealer just put some rust protectant on it.
Service advisor told me they test it by trying to punch through it with a hammer and punch in a certain spot.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Mine is scheduled to be replaced when the part arrive at the dealer. 2010 with only 35200 km.
They said a "small hole in it"

Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 PM

I had my 08 in to the dealer in April of 2017 (w/ about 122,000 miles at the time). The cross-member did not need to be replaced so they just put the anti-rust agent on.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 PM

All they did was slap some goop on it.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:45 AM

Came across this detailed page with how dealer should be inspecting the crossmember for replacement and applying the rust prevention.

https://mitsubishi.oemdtc.com/99/sr-...013-mitsubishi

PDF: https://mitsubishi.oemdtc.com/Recall...6V458-0792.pdf

Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Default 2008 Outlander

We had our 2008 Outlander inspected under the 2016 recall and it was deemed to be ok. They applied the coating agent at that time. Yesterday our car was at the dealer and there is now a 1" hole in the crossmember and it needs to be replaced. I contacted Mitsubishi Canada and they said the car was out of warranty now and they would not fix it. I contacted Transport Canada who indicated that the repair was require regardless of the warranty since it was a safety recall. They have opened a file and will be contacting Mitsubishi Canada directly. If you are faced with this issue in Canada:
1) Contact Transport Canada - you will need the km of the vehicle and VIN number for the report
2) I have started a forum on Twitter for Mitsubishi vehicles with corrosion @MitsubishiCorr1 to provide stories from other owners facing the same issue.
Hopefully if enough people provide documentation to Transport Canada they will issue another recall

Old 03-20-2020, 05:24 PM
Default Outlander 2009 Crossmember

We've just had to replace our front cross member for our 2009 Outlander. From what I understand, there was a recall for the front cross members but only for 6 cylinders which makes absolutely no sense the only difference between the 4 and 6 cylinders is the engine. The problem is that Mitsu manufactured the Outlander so that when the air conditioning is turned on, the water condensation that comes from the AC collects directly on the cross member so it rusts WAY before it should. It's infuriating that the 6 cylinder was recalled and the 4 cylinder was not. They are literally the same car except for the engines. There has to be some sort of class action suit here.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 AM

I have a 2009 outlander and had the front cross member checked under the recall in 2016 and told it was fine they just put the goop on it and sent me on my way
well 3 years later (2019) there were rust holes thru it big enough to put your fist thru
luckily being a loyal costumer the dealership got Mitsubishi to cover 99% of the cost of the repair
but I would recommend anyone who had the recall done and was told it was fine at the time to get it checked again

Old 12-14-2020, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger01
I have a 2009 outlander and had the front cross member checked under the recall in 2016 and told it was fine they just put the goop on it and sent me on my way
well 3 years later (2019) there were rust holes thru it big enough to put your fist thru
luckily being a loyal costumer the dealership got Mitsubishi to cover 99% of the cost of the repair
but I would recommend anyone who had the recall done and was told it was fine at the time to get it checked again
Had they only replace the crossmember only? I got a quote that the all parts linked on the crossmember have to be replaced. Are they necessary? There is no driving issue but only the rusted crossmember so far. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by jshi08
Had they only replace the crossmember only? I got a quote that the all parts linked on the crossmember have to be replaced. Are they necessary? There is no driving issue but only the rusted crossmember so far. Thanks.
they only had to replaced the crossmember the other parts were ok

Quick Reply: Outlander front cross member recall