Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Gen 2 Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Default Outlander Gen 2 Transmission Cooler

I have a NA-Spec 2007 Outlander LS with the 3.0 V6. I am looking to tow at the max capacity of 3500 lbs. From what I can tell, it does not have the "tow package" but does have a transmission cooler. From looking at Mitsubishi parts diagrams, it looks like there are two sizes of transmission coolers with different parts numbers, mine being the smaller one. Should I look at replacing my stock trans cooler, leave it alone, or something else. Thanks. Wes

Old 02-18-2016, 09:40 AM

I didn't know there were different size transmission coolers. The 4cylinder wasn't offered in 2007, what are the part numbers?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Nevermind i looked it up 2920A024, and it appears it needs different mounting brackets as well.

If you plan on maxing out your tow capacity, i would get the larger cooler, or buy an aftermarket cooler and mount it out front.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Nevermind i looked it up 2920A024, and it appears it needs different mounting brackets as well.

If you plan on maxing out your tow capacity, i would get the larger cooler, or buy an aftermarket cooler and mount it out front.
Thanks. I plan to see if it has room to replace the stock cooler with a larger aftermarket one, if not then I'll look at putting it in front of the radiator.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:13 AM

Luckily, since it already has an external cooler, the lines are already there which makes things very simple.

Just buy longer lines and figure out how to mount the new cooler.

Make sure you use the correct transmission fluid, mitsubishi diaqueen j2. Very few shelf brand fluids are compatible even though they say for imports.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 AM

I took a good look last night. The mounting hardware does not match up with the diagrams for either of the trans coolers pictured. I roughly measured the existing cooler and it was about 8x12 which is about the same size as the aftermarket cooler I was going to install. So, I plan to leave it alone for now. I don't have fog lights so I cut out the fog light hole covers and that should let some more air through. The covers looked bad anyway.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:26 AM

Ok, this is sort of related, I had the dealer do the first trans fluid change as I didn't have a garage at the time and working on cars in the street really sucks, anyway, they didn't use new clips to put the fender well lining back and it got chewed up by the wheel a few months later. So I ordered an aftermarket liner and added extra slits to it, so the air has better flow on the back side of the cooler. This also means I pressure wash it from the front and back regularly, especially after driving in the country.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by binzd
Ok, this is sort of related, I had the dealer do the first trans fluid change as I didn't have a garage at the time and working on cars in the street really sucks, anyway, they didn't use new clips to put the fender well lining back and it got chewed up by the wheel a few months later. So I ordered an aftermarket liner and added extra slits to it, so the air has better flow on the back side of the cooler. This also means I pressure wash it from the front and back regularly, especially after driving in the country.
Sounds like a good idea to increase airflow. Be careful not to bend the fins with the pressure washer. What are the dimensions of your cooler? It looks like they came in two sizes and I am trying to figure out which one I have.

On another note, I tried to install Firestone airbags, gave up after about 2 hours and will have a mechanic do it. Might require removal of the coil springs.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:14 PM

If you're towing an RV, i hope you're using a Hensley Cub or Propride hitch with the outlander. They come down in price alot over the years.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 PM

If you're towing an RV, i hope you're using a Hensley Cub or Propride hitch with the outlander. They come down in price alot over the years.
I'll probably just pull a boat (surge brakes) or a smaller U-Haul so I don't antipate needing a WD hitch. Thanks for the tip however.

Quick Reply: Outlander Gen 2 Transmission Cooler