Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander owner from Down Under

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Default RE: Outlander owner from Down Under

ORIGINAL: vrx26

Hi there,

It's imported from Japan. Mitsubishi Australia only build Mitsubishi 380's (Galant in other countries) in Adelaide. All other models like Triton, Pajero, Grandis and Lancer are also all imported from Japan.
Triton is not imported from Japan. It's built in exclusively in Thailand, exported worldwide.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 AM

Heya peeps. Just ordered my VRX in Melbourne. Was dismayed to hear about the tinting issues with the front windows, as Aussie summers can be brutal, esp if you head into the more northern parts of the country. I'm hoping that the felt trick is doable by a local tint professional.

Did any of the aussies visiting this forum get tinting? I had two dealers say that it would void warranty and a 3rd dealer offering to install it for me. I almost went with the third dealer so I could get them to fix it if motor's burnt out or anything stupid

Old 08-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Hi Mate,

I haven't got my front windows tinted (yet?). My dealer offered to tint it as part of a paint protection and interior protection package butI guess it's just another way of adding cost to your ownership.

You're right it's a nuisance especially during summer and even during the past few days where the sun was out it's glaring in your eyes even up to the second row seats and alsohinders your vision of the console display.

I'm having second thoughts of tinting it since it might void the warranty andunsure to do DYI tinting becauseI might just wreck it and also the same warranty issues.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Hmm well if I can find a quiet few minutes during lunch or something I might ring around some tinting places. I'd recon that there's bound to be one that would do it and support their work with a guarantee of some kind. It seems that the outie owners from the rest of the world dont' seem to have probs with the felt mod.

I drove mine down the Great Ocean Road the other day. there's a whistling from the left somewhere.. I'm assuming the left mirror... so hoping that's an easy fix the dealer can do as per other posts on the forum.

Will keep you posted if I get anywhere with the tinting.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:31 AM

Great to see a fellow Ozzie on this board. I am the proud owner of 00UTY, which is a 2003 LS Outlander.
I have managed to make it a bit of an offroad beast, and am always looking for likeminded folks.

If you are looking to protect you asset, I believe that the guys who made my bullbar make one for the Gen 2 Outtie.

If you want to see just how great the Gen 1 Outtie is, check my webpage at www.tinmansplace.multiply.com

I have 235000K on mine now, and still going strong, so if the Gen 2 is as strongly built, you have a car for life now!
The only thing that Mitsi has missed with the new one is the 2.2L diesel! Bring it on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/F65F1F67EE1D4A3D8059BF26C15934A9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/1D3727F234DD45F192658B831C25F6E4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/17412A38E5A04BBCAA04AAA6A841D1B3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Yeah g'day bud. I was checking out your site earlier.. not bad You're a bit keener in the 4WD department than I, but I have photo's of me doing river crossings (allright, let's call it a stream and navigating 4WD tracks (can't seem to capture the steep/rough terrain in my photos, going to work on that) in my RAV and I'm sure my outtie will only do the job better. I already have factory fitted nudge bar and hella driving lights. So won't be slapping a bullbar on the thing in the near future.

I am looking forward to getting out and about this spring/summer, but as I use the car around town (Melbourne) for work most of my k's will be done on the tarmac I like exercising my 4WD options though and regularly go camping/driving at my favourite camping spot, Sheepyard Flats. If you're ever back in Melbourne we should catch up

Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Bit of an update. The Tint Professor (company in melb) will tint the car for $275 I think (all windows) or $55 a window. They mentioned how they had to apply some felt to the front windows for the outtie 2007's without any prompting from me, so they know about it. they say that if there is any damage to motor's or anything it's all covered by their guarantee if mitsubishi won't cover it under warranty.

I get my car tinted Friday. . Maybe I'll organise some pics after then

EDIT: Just read the guarnantee / warranty information on their site. Seems that they do not warrant damage caused by window seals. I'm guessing he's only saying that it will be covered by their 30 day money back guarantee... less impressive, but ahh well. can't live without tint

EDIT 2: I rang them back. He's saying unconditionally warranted on the outtie for any damage relating to the tint. It ain't in writing, but it's good enough for me.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 AM

I have yet to figure out how window tint will void your warranty? My dealer said that to get the frontwindows tinted as the back has privacy glass and the front clear windows look dicky if they arent tinted. The only thing thetinting will do is help the aircon when the temp hits 44 deg C (110 approx F) It wont affect the car in any other way. I can tell you now if Mitsu Aust try to void the warranty it will be on!
I believe the bluetooth in the states is acessable via the steering wheel, here it is in an awkward place just below the ignition key near which means you have to reach down around the steering wheel to get it. The high beam indicator light is too bright and the car has a few blind spots. Other than that its a beauty! 29.5 MPG (9.6L/100Km) is great for my little 4 cylinder. Ride comfort is great and the road noise minimal.
Great car!
mulder
NSW Hunter Valley Region

Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 AM

I think the premise is that with the extra drag caused by the tint (as shown by the scratching of the tint from the tight fit) the motor could potentially burn out. *shrugs* Either or. I haven't used high beam yet, so no comment. I agree with the bluetooth buttons are in an awkward position, but I have an O2 Atom and it doesn't seem to work quite the same way as other people have mentioned. I certainly get no audio prompts when pressing the call button. I have paired the devices but have to use the phone to dial/answer whilst the audio from the hands free kit works fine (mutes the stereo, and talk through mic/speakers). The pick up hang up buttons appear to do nothing. Also when I answer an incoming call I have to manually switch the phone to handsfree mode for it to work.

Will look into these issues sometime next week. they aren't so importan to me, it's kinda working which is good enough hehehe.

I have the V6, not quite enjoying the same economy but enjoying the extra power from my old RAV4

Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Hi mate,

Thanks for the info, I'm also interested in tinting my front windows because it's really a nuisance especially when it's sunny, I can barely see the panel display. I'll wait for your posthow you'd go about your tinting.I am hoping that there won't be any problems (i.e. motor burning) sincemy Dealer offered me to tint it in the first place, I just didn'tgetit since they wanna package it w/ paint/rust and interior protection w/ccost a lot.

I also agree with the non-ergonomic placement of the bluetooth handsfree buttons, though my phone (a Nokia, what else) pairs well with th system. Sometimes, I accidentally press the ASC on/off or the reverse sensor button instead.

Quick Reply: Outlander owner from Down Under