Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Default Outlander Reliability

As a first time Mitsu owner, I am receiving a lot of crap from my friends about purchasing a "rice burner". They tell me that Mitsu's reliability is crap and it'll cost me lots of money to fix it because it's a foreign auto.

I have a 2007 Outlander XLS (sun/sound/luxury/navi). The vehicle seems solid to me, but I was wondering what others felt.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Default RE: Outlander Reliability

Sounds like the statement of somebody who knows nothing about the company. And it sounds like FUD more than anything else. Reliability is one of the reasons why I bought a Mitsubishi, having owned a 1992 Lancer which never had any engine problem until now, and that car has survived several floods and and extreme heat in the tropical climate of the Philippines. I've read from other forums that the crappy built Mitsubishi's are not the imported ones, but the ones built in the US, especially those during the days under the Daimler Chrysler partnership.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM

same sentiments here...
i just recently moved to the states andalso came from the Philippines
i left my 93 lancer behind with 450,000 kms on it last December 06...and from what my bro tells me, its still rolling away
Mitsubishi is a truly global company...though i still feel it has to do something to get the "tickle" of the the NA market
the reviews that are circulating around dont really exactly give due credit to their cars and their design
threre's a lot of personal opinion into them and double standards being used IMHO

BUT reliability wise, you should be good, esp on the outlanders
Mitsu is slowly re-establishi their presence in NA....so that would mean better cars in the coming years

Old 12-05-2007, 11:43 AM

Ok, I had a 2005 outie, reason to jump to 07 was 4WD, Anti lock and all the extras.. I had a FWD and standard brakes etc.. Nothing fancy. I had 0 problems with the 05.

I looked at Suzuki XL-7, Hyundai, Pacifica.

XL-7 was a bigger truck and had that GM feel (Made in Canada same base as Equinox). 3rd row bigger, but man the rear view was long away.
Hyandai dealer was a jerk..
No 4wd on the Pacifica anywhere.

But having good results and all the nice toys (might be last new car for me) I had to go with the 07 XLS.. It out everything.

And so far, love it, Switch to 4WD and away I went..

The Nav unit is a mitsu, from the electric division.. They designed the CAN system to great extent. Its a car on a network..Sun roof and all control..

I think the original Datsun where junk..

Its your choice, Japan, Korean, American, or Chinese

Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

You know, its funny. If Jap cars are such pieces of ****, then why do sooo many car companies rate them above everything else?

Not to mention, the only time a Jap car company ends up with a crappy car, is when they are built right here in the US. Take the 1990-1999 Eclipses for example... possibly one of the least reliable cars ever built by Mitsubishi. Guess where they were built, thats right, HERE. Chicago IL.

I heard a story, my brothers friend deals with the manufacture of electric motors for cars, like the windows, wipers etc... So they have to send their product off to be tested by the manufacturer. They sent them to Honda and Mitsubishi, they both failed. They then proceeded to send them to GM, who accepted them.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Default Mitsubishi Reliability

I would buy a Mitsubishi because they built one of the best carEngine the
Saturn Engine and built planes during WW2. The Mitsubishi Zero or meat *****.

Crappy car whatever brand, if built in Detroit will come out piece of cr__p.

I had 2 Mitsu cars and all built in Japan. I evendrove on of them without any brake pads leftat the front just the rotors and plate grinding together and car still stop with no accident. It was the day that my heart was pounding hard. but my Mitsu Mirage never let me down, I was able to reach my Tech with no brake pads.

That's Mitsubishi. I rather have 3 Diamond Logo than having an Olympic Logo like the Audi

Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Banned
Default RE: Mitsubishi Reliability

Your insane for saying you rather have a Mitsu than an Audi.

Best Mitsu bluck has to be the 4G63. Maybe the new 4b11 (i think) EVO engine will be better.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 AM

ah the Saturn engines...theyre really not that bad (at all)
these old school engines made Mitsu famous during the late 70s to 80s (if i remember correctly)
if im not mistaken, these were the engines that powered the popular Mitsu Lancer "box-types", in my region of the globe (southeast asia)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

I never understood the term 'Rice Burners'..I thinkall cars are Camel Dung Burners

Frankly, if it wasn't for people buying Japanese Cars, we'd be driving Pintos and Pacers. Competition is good

If it's worth anything...Consumer Reports gave the Outtie the highest marks for reliability..their general ratings are arguable since it's subjective, but the reliability numbers are more scientific.

The only issue I've had is a minor adjustment of the 3rd seat lockdown latch..and the few TSBs issues that aren't major enough for a dealer visit..not bad for a brand new engine and vehicle

As far as differences between American and Japanese..you can't say blanket statements any longer that Japanese are more reliable than American. Buicks have been near the top for years, and Hondas and Toyotas are having their share of recalls.

I wouldn't worry about costs either..you've gove a killer warranty.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM

All cars are only as good as their owners. They all must be taken care of.

Quick Reply: Outlander Reliability