Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

outlander sport concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Default outlander sport concerns

New here and to outlander sports. Looking to get my son an outlander sport for his first car, found one he likes and I'm concerned about how long (all used cars) it will last.? Its a 2011 with 122K miles car is clean has had a couple of owners. the service history is good seems on schedule no obvious issues or trends. Its all a crap shot with used cars but at what point do I expect issues?

So good buy or keep looking?

we would upgrade the air intake to give it a little more juice outside of that not really sure if there is anything else to do?

your thoughts?

Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 AM

It's only a good buy based on many factors. Top priority, I think, is if you can tell it's been cared for. Has the maintenance been done as scheduled? Is it clean and free of major body imperfections? If a car is well cared for, then you can expect it to keep going with maintenance to 200k or beyond. If it's not being maintained, then no. Things do wear out even if they are maintained, so you could expect to be replacing worn parts on a car of that mileage in the coming years. Radiators, suspension parts, exhaust if it's been driven in a salty state.

I have a 2007 Outlander that I bought with 30k miles and it's been very reliable. Outside regular maintenance, I've had to replace the radiator, shocks and struts, blower fan, and some exhaust parts, but that's about it. It's at 153k miles now. Mine has the V6 and 6-speed auto, which is different from the Sport's 4-cylinder with CVT transmission, but if you poke around this group, you'll notice there does not seem to be a lot of issues raised with the Sport.

Finally, if the car is priced at or below market value and it's been cared for, then it's probably a good deal. Mitsubishis don't hold their value well compared to other Japanese brands, so it could be a great buy.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM

My advice is to run a Carfax and Autocheck on it, if everything comes back clean pay an mechanic to inspect it, if everything is in good condition move forward. A well cared for Mitsubishi can last a long time if it is well maintained and accident free.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:00 PM

The auto facts reports show early on got the service was done on schedule. last 3 years show evey 10k miles /every 10 months service schedule but that could mean they were using synthetic not really sure.

There was an inspection done when it went to the dealer prior to going on the market but not really sure what that inspection entailed I'm wondering if that was the 120 K inspection but there's no record or paperwork on what was actually inspected and the dealership that did the inspection has now closed.

Other than intake upgrade what else can give the car little more power

Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 AM

You can take it into a Pepboys. Or Firestone and have them do an inspection before buying it.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:34 PM

so we got it ... and it has a 6-month warranty that covers the transmission and engine, so that helps my concerns. thanks for your input

Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 AM

A warranty is good peace of mind. Hope it's good for you, and you can always look for advice here.