Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Sport lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 PM

There are parts coming soon.

I spoke with a performance shop who currently makes a lot of stuff for the Lancer, and they informed me that a lot of performance parts can easily be tweaked by them to work on the Sport.

They are going to be releasing an air intake that is under $250, and some very nice exhaust headers that are around $500.

All it took was my email. They hadn't even realized the Sport was so similar to the Lancer. By all means, provide a heads-up to shops that are making Lancer parts, because a lot of them can easily modify their manufacturing processes to bring new parts available for this vehicle.

The lowering springs are a definite easy make for spring makers. I am working on getting a set produced by someone.

I did speak with a performance shop about spring chopping. They informed me that it's not a far-out idea at all. They said that they have done it to many vehicles and track tested some to see no negative impacts on handling performance. What they said is that there are a few important factors that determine whether or not it can be done. The first factor is the spring design. It must NOT have square ends. This means the spring is bent at the end, so the coil meets at a 90 degree angle to the resting point. Basically it wraps around almost meeting the previous coil where it would run into itself, instead of contining to spiral away. Hence the square end terminology. The other spring type the will not work is a pigtail end. This is a common spring in vehicles with struts, where the spring reduces diameter at it ends and coils inward. So without those types being able to be chopped, the only type of spring which can be cut is one that has a standard coil pattern. This is where the spring would basically look the same no matter where you cut it at. Other factors are the factory rate and stiffness of the springs, and the weight of the vehicle, both of which will determine how drastic the positive or negative handling outcome will be.

With that being said, that limits a lot of vehicles from being able to have their springs cut. I haven't even got a chance yet to crawl under the Sport and look at its springs, but I just assume it probably does not have the correct design, as that design is mostly used in older vehicles. Though, I have faith that somebody will be releasing some (average priced) lowering springs for the Sport sometime soon.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 PM

My comments are based on assuming the Sport suspension design is the same as the larger wheelbase Outlander. When I first purchased my 07 Outlander, I spent time looking for suspension lowering options and found that KW makes a set of coil overs for the Outie that are expensive but probably the best way to go. The rear suspension in particular does not have much travel. Cutting the springs will reduce this suspension travel even more. I know this would not be acceptable trade off for the kind of driving I do on secondary roads in NJ and PA. For the same reason, I don't think the Colt Speed lowering springs would be a good choice unless I drove 90% of the time on smooth pavement. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has actually installed the KWs and can report on them? Too expensive for me now but this is the mod I want to do eventually.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM

First of all, definitely do not cut your springs. I would look first toward parts for the Lancer to fit your Outlander or Outlander Sport... Also, as I have had severe lowering springs/race springs (>1.75"-2" drop) on several other rides before, and I would highly recommend against it as it will destroy your ride quality... It will also probably blow your shocks if you don't upgrade those as well. Trust me, you will hate it and regret it within a month.

Instead you should consider a more mild drop (1.25"-1.5") with some larger wheels and tires (~20" plus up one size tire, perhaps 235/45/20 or 245/45/20 depending on the width of the wheel) to fill out the wheel-wells more and you will be satisfied with both the ride and the look (since I'm assuming that's all you want the lowering springs for anyway). Tire rack has several sets of Eibach springs for the Lancer that are reasonably priced.

IMO, the best way to go really low and still have some semblance of a decent ride that doesn't feel like a straight race car is to go with coil-overs or even air bags. At that point though you are talking some serious $$$, definitely into the thousands.. You gotta pay to play... Good luck and let us know whichever route you choose.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mda185
My comments are based on assuming the Sport suspension design is the same as the larger wheelbase Outlander. When I first purchased my 07 Outlander, I spent time looking for suspension lowering options and found that KW makes a set of coil overs for the Outie that are expensive but probably the best way to go. The rear suspension in particular does not have much travel. Cutting the springs will reduce this suspension travel even more. I know this would not be acceptable trade off for the kind of driving I do on secondary roads in NJ and PA. For the same reason, I don't think the Colt Speed lowering springs would be a good choice unless I drove 90% of the time on smooth pavement. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has actually installed the KWs and can report on them? Too expensive for me now but this is the mod I want to do eventually.
I also want to know if anyone is running the kw v2 coilovers? I will be purchasing them for the outlander I am picking up this week but would really love to see pics of a outlander lowered. I had coilovers on every car I owned besides my most recent explorer so I know what to expect as far as ride quality just wan to see how the outlander looks dropped. I owned kw coilovers on a vw jetta I had and I was impressed at how smooth the drove, I just never lowered a truck before. Also the kw's are dampening adjustable so u can set the ride comfort to your liking.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_M
There are parts coming soon.

I spoke with a performance shop who currently makes a lot of stuff for the Lancer, and they informed me that a lot of performance parts can easily be tweaked by them to work on the Sport.

They are going to be releasing an air intake that is under $250, and some very nice exhaust headers that are around $500.

All it took was my email. They hadn't even realized the Sport was so similar to the Lancer. By all means, provide a heads-up to shops that are making Lancer parts, because a lot of them can easily modify their manufacturing processes to bring new parts available for this vehicle.

The lowering springs are a definite easy make for spring makers. I am working on getting a set produced by someone.

I did speak with a performance shop about spring chopping. They informed me that it's not a far-out idea at all. They said that they have done it to many vehicles and track tested some to see no negative impacts on handling performance. What they said is that there are a few important factors that determine whether or not it can be done. The first factor is the spring design. It must NOT have square ends. This means the spring is bent at the end, so the coil meets at a 90 degree angle to the resting point. Basically it wraps around almost meeting the previous coil where it would run into itself, instead of contining to spiral away. Hence the square end terminology. The other spring type the will not work is a pigtail end. This is a common spring in vehicles with struts, where the spring reduces diameter at it ends and coils inward. So without those types being able to be chopped, the only type of spring which can be cut is one that has a standard coil pattern. This is where the spring would basically look the same no matter where you cut it at. Other factors are the factory rate and stiffness of the springs, and the weight of the vehicle, both of which will determine how drastic the positive or negative handling outcome will be.

With that being said, that limits a lot of vehicles from being able to have their springs cut. I haven't even got a chance yet to crawl under the Sport and look at its springs, but I just assume it probably does not have the correct design, as that design is mostly used in older vehicles. Though, I have faith that somebody will be releasing some (average priced) lowering springs for the Sport sometime soon.
Matt, Not to change topics, but I have to ask lol. I would be interested on the air intake. Where can I get some information on this?

Thanks

Felix

Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM

i think moving towards making companies aware of the lancer similarities is the way to go. I am coming from the Subaru world, 3 in total, last one was a Forester XT Sports. I know that most parts were interchangeable across the impreza, wrx, sti, and forester. once people and companies realized this many parts were remarketed or modified to fit all models.

as far as the drop, i would not so severe. i agree with firstorbit. I had STi sedan springs on my Forester. it looked great and dropped it more that 2.5 inches. .... yeah the ride height became a hassle. i damaged the struts and eventually the oil pan. there was a decent improvement in cornering, but as a daily driver it sucked.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 AM

I know im late with this but just wanna share this one. I hope this would help i just recently bought a lowering kit in my lancer and it works fine. I wonder if you are still looking for lowering kit? I just want to share an aftermarket to you they sell really cheap. Or if your friends are looking for it too just pm me.

Last edited by harakiriboy; 02-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Even if the OP doesn't need them anymore, if anyone else is looking for a set, RRM has them for $279 Outlander Lowering Springs [Outlander Lowering Springs] - $279.00 : Road Race Motorsports, Mitsubishi Suzuki Fiat Hyundia Performance Parts

Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM

would the air intake and/or headers work for an 09 outlander SE?.. are suspension upgrades possible through some tweaking for this vehicle as well?

Currently i've been looking for a set.. but deciding on going with a set of these for http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...trol_Pro/11526

Last edited by xOutlanderFiendx; 09-17-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM

are the suspensions in the 2009 mitsubishi outlander SE and XL model the same?

Quick Reply: Outlander Sport lowering kit