Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Sport Painted, Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Default Outlander Sport Painted, Photos

I had the front bumper painted black like I said I was going to. Just picked it up. Cost me $150.

I was going to vacuum bag it in carbon fiber, but that all being one piece in the front was going to make it a pain in the butt for me to do over a weekend. I also would have had to get the vacuum bag wrapped around the entire huge bumper cover, or I would have had unsmooth carbon surface without the vacuum. A big hassle. So I chose black paint instead.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Looks great!

Just like older brother Outlander.

I wish we don't have front license plates here neither...

Old 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM

I hope that the next generation Outlander will get some of the styling cues from Outlander Sport. The front is just so much better designed and just flows with the entire body of Outlander Sport. In 2010-UP Outlanders, that new front just looks like a hack job, maybe if they would lower it a bit more in the front it would look better. Anyway, very nice looking car and post more pictures after you are done with all of your projects. And how do you like Outlander Sport so far?

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 01-07-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
And how do you like Outlander Sport so far?
I have come from cars used to having power. This car does not have enough power. That is my only complaint. The rest of the car, I love. It is perfect. Ergonomics are good, but could use some lumbar seat support. In long drives, my back gets stiff.

Those are really the only two things I request at this point, and the more important one is power. This car NEEDS the Evo turbo transplant to become the vehicle it should be. However, I'm glad mine did not arrive with it, because I am using an even larger turbo install. My goal is 350 flywheel HP.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_M
I have come from cars used to having power. This car does not have enough power. That is my only complaint. The rest of the car, I love. It is perfect. Ergonomics are good, but could use some lumbar seat support. In long drives, my back gets stiff.

Those are really the only two things I request at this point, and the more important one is power. This car NEEDS the Evo turbo transplant to become the vehicle it should be. However, I'm glad mine did not arrive with it, because I am using an even larger turbo install. My goal is 350 flywheel HP.
Can the drive train even handle it? I have heard that that is the weak point stopping some people from doing this. Also is it the same drive train in the Sport as the Canadian XLS?

Last edited by bigrroberto; 01-07-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by bigrroberto
Can the drive train even handle it? I have heard that that is the weak point stopping some people from doing this. Also is it the same drive train in the Sport as the Canadian XLS?
No way. Sport (RVR) has a CVT, and Outlander XLS has 6 speed auto. Though I doubt the latter is capable of handling 350 flywheel hp.
One will need Lancer's TC SST...

Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 PM

I had the front bumper painted black like I said I was going to. Just picked it up. Cost me $150.
Matt_M, thanks for the pictures, great job, i love it, that's what i'm gonna do to my Outie too. What area are you in? Did you let the paint shop match the color for your? What is the "black" code you used?

At the beginning, I was going to get this from the UK, but as I stated in my other thread, just can't get it from overseas, and no one could help so far....

The UK foil cost £26.99 before VAT, not bad actually, and maybe someday you wanna get it back to the original colors......

Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
No way. Sport (RVR) has a CVT, and Outlander XLS has 6 speed auto. Though I doubt the latter is capable of handling 350 flywheel hp.
One will need Lancer's TC SST...
Exactly. The limiting factor here is the CVT in the Outlander Sport. I have spoke with some performance shops, and it's no secret that the CVT cannot handle power. It breaks down quickly once any power is thrown at it. It's too bad, because the Outlander Sport is a vehicle with amazing potential with its weight and engine. The engine bay configuration provides large space for a turbo install with its rear exhaust manifold.

So the Outlander Sport needs the twin clutch SST tranny. Lets start by saying that. The big problem is, this is a vehicle with a computer woven into its transmission, and the Evo and Outlander Sport are two totally different vehicles when speaking about their computers. The Outlander computer is setup for its sensors and dash readout, and it's CVT, not the Evo's TC-SST. So doing an SST swap would presumably be a hassle. The electronics would need to be figured out so that the correct readout is communicated from the SST transmission and displayed on the dash.

I don't know enough about these vehicles to have any bit of understanding towards what sort of modification this would involve, other than assuming it's not a simple plug and play.

It would be nice for some minds to come together who know the inner workings of these things to figure out what would have to be done for the tranny swap. I would love to pursue the project if I could have any idea as to what I was getting into.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by fiestataz
Matt_M, thanks for the pictures, great job, i love it, that's what i'm gonna do to my Outie too. What area are you in? Did you let the paint shop match the color for your? What is the "black" code you used?

At the beginning, I was going to get this from the UK, but as I stated in my other thread, just can't get it from overseas, and no one could help so far....

The UK foil cost £26.99 before VAT, not bad actually, and maybe someday you wanna get it back to the original colors......
They just mixed up a black that got close to matching the black plastic. No specific color code.

And that foil, I'm confused about. The whole front cover appears different in that photo, not just the grill piece.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:35 PM

They just mixed up a black that got close to matching the black plastic. No specific color code.

And that foil, I'm confused about. The whole front cover appears different in that photo, not just the grill piece.
I see, the plastic looks like light charcoal to me...

as for the foil, there may be some light reflection makes it not matching the grill color, but i notice the it does not cover the entire piece, left the top and side cures uncover....the final look effect just has a little feel of the audi, of course, audi's chrome wrapping...