Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Storage Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Default Outlander Storage Options

Hey all, long time mitsu-driver (Starion, 1st gen Eclipse, now Outlander), first time needing additional storage.

I have an 04 Outlander with the factory-installed side rails. I'm taking the family on a long trip out of state (12 hour one-way) for a vacation first week of November. We have 2 kids, taking the dog, and then there's me and the wife. This leaves very little room for "stuff."

Unfortunately I do not have the cross bars, which seem ridiculously expensive (Thule or Yakima). I see there are some other crossbars that claim to fit the Outlander, but my assumption is these are actually for the 07 model or whatever.

I would ideally only want to spend around 100-200 for my entire storage solution. Wondering what other people have found that works for them.

My wife has been looking into these "roof bags" that just attach to the side bars. This seems like it could flap around and damage the paint on top (also have moon roof, but I imagine this bag would go toward the back anyway). Also afraid the bag could tear as there would be tremendous tension on the front two tie-down/straps as the wind shoves the bag backwards. I've read that this can happen but obviously quality can vary.

The most obvious solution, as mentioned above, is crossbars + a hard top carrier or something.

Then there's the "hitch mounted cargo carrier" solutions. Again, kind of hard to find the right fit for the price as the Outie has the 1.25 inch receiver on the hidden hitch. And I'd still need to buy a weatherproof bag, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I sure appreciate it.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Well I went ahead and ordered this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-X...Q5fAccessories

hopefully it actually works. It claims it does.

And thinking of getting this to go along with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Rola-59100-Pla...N%3DB000E7YP82

Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Smile

Hope these work well. Please report back when you test them out.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

This is the bag I have. Works great. I have taken it from Ohio to Florida twice now (and back), and have survived some pretty big storms. I have also used it to move several totes full of stuff across a few hundred miles.

Its only $30, and free shipping. It rated really high on amazon.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:53 PM

thanks for the link to the bag.
well i was really skeptical about the roof rails, but i gotta say they are working well so far. i drove about an hour so far with them, while testing speeds up to 75 mph, in rather high winds (northern IL is getting blasted with wind right now). there is nothing in the sears brand xcargo that i am borrowing from a coworker yet. but that seems to be staying up well.

one of the rails had a stripped washer area for the cylinder that threads through a mounting plate, so i took it all the way out and used a washer to keep the allen-wrench adjustable area from sinking all the way into the unit (thus allowing for the tightening of the inside mount plate -- which creates the necessary pinching action to hold the rails on).

i was a bit upset at this flaw but for $60 and my super cheap solution, i think this will work well. i'm gonna be driving for like 24 hours in the next week, so i brought some extra washers in case this happens to more of the hardware. but i think it will be ok. i'll report back after my trip on how it went.

if it works, definitely a bargain for $60 on the roof rails!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Update: The rails worked great. I borrowed your standard Sears X-Cargo hard box and that mounted well. I checked the rails and all mounting almost every time we stopped, and everything was solid as a rock. I recommend these rails.

P.S. this was 1,600 miles, through mountains, a little rain, and some relatively high winds.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Default Roof Rack

Originally Posted by GhostToast
Update: The rails worked great. I borrowed your standard Sears X-Cargo hard box and that mounted well. I checked the rails and all mounting almost every time we stopped, and everything was solid as a rock. I recommend these rails.

P.S. this was 1,600 miles, through mountains, a little rain, and some relatively high winds.
Will this roof rack fit on a 2009 Outlander with roof rails...

Old 11-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Well, according to the product page where this is information to plugin what vehicle you have, it says yes that it will.

However, I will say I had a much easier time finding other roof rails for the newer Outlanders than my old first-gen one with the gigantic siderails. Not sure if you can beat that price.