Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander's needed for data collection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
JMC
Default RE: Outlander's needed for data collection.

Well...if anybody goes...get some info.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

I am just wondering why they are needing to see how often the car is running diagnostics. If it is not functioning properly, shouldn't that throw a code? AArrrrggh Mitsubishi.
If a failure occurs that would cause emissions to increase beyond the applicable standards, the operator of the vehicle needs to be made aware of the failure (through illumination of the check engine light) in the shortest time possible, so that repairs can be made and the vehicle will stop emitting excessive amounts of harmful gases. The more frequent a diagnostic runs, the less emissions will be emitted before the operator is made aware of the failure. Frequent monitoring also helps the the service industry too, since it is much quicker to verify emission related repairs. Frequent running of the diagnostics also gives consumers peace of mind in knowing that when they take their vehicle in for a smog check they can be nearly certain that their vehicle will pass tailpipe emissions and I/M readiness.

To answer the second part of your question, let me begin by saying that the OBDII system is very complex. So complex in fact, that 50% of the information inside the ECM is dedicated to OBDII functions, and that percentage will only grow as the regulations become even more stringent. With that said, no manufacturer has found a way to ensure that every diagnostic will run under every possible variable. Therefore, lighting the MIL for infrequent monitoring would punish the consumer for his/her unique driving style, patterns or conditions. Fortunately, CARB doesn't expect every diagnostic to meet a minimum frequency on 100% of the new vehicles sold in California. They realize that some drivers, conditions and/or other variables simply will not allow certain diagnostics to run with ample frequency. However, they do expect most of the vehicles to meet a minimum frequency for most of the diagnostics. This program simply lets CARB know that most of the vehicles sold in California are meeting the requirements. Please keep in mind that this is not something that only Mitsubishi is required to do, but all manufacturers who sell vehicles in California.

huh? Do you mean anyone within 50 miles?
The vehicle must be a 2006 and must have at least 500 miles. The owner must be within a 50 mile radius of our facility or be willing to meet with one of our technicians within a 50 mile radius.

Please feel free to call or email our main office with any questions that you may have. I will also respond to any further questions here on the forum.

Thank you for your interest.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:58 PM

hmmm, this is a new 2006 regualtion? It sounds like we may or may not get a CEL depending on the root of the problem. Is this a test that is required to be outsourced to maintain integrity or is it simply easier to handle it with specialized companies such as yours? Do not misconstrue these questions as challenging your expertise or anything of the sort, I just like to know what's new on the horizon when an opportunity presents itself.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 PM

It sounds like we may or may not get a CEL depending on the root of the problem.
Lack of diagnostic frequency will not set the CEL under any circumstances.

hmmm, this is a new 2006 regualtion?
This regulation began in MY2005 with approximately a third of all vehicles having to comply with this regulation. For MY2006 two-thirds of a manufacturers vehicles must comply. Full compliance across all vehicle lines begins in MY07.

Is this a test that is required to be outsourced to maintain integrity or is it simply easier to handle it with specialized companies such as yours?
Compliance for this regulation is not required to be completed by an outside contractor, however several manufacturers have chosen to do so for a variety of reasons.

Do not misconstrue these questions as challenging your expertise or anything of the sort, I just like to know what's new on the horizon when an opportunity presents itself.
Please feel free to ask any and all questions that you wish. I will be happy to answer them.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Chris BE

It sounds like we may or may not get a CEL depending on the root of the problem.
Lack of diagnostic frequency will not set the CEL under any circumstances.
I was implying that if a problem exists and a diagnostic is not running on an appropriate schedule, we may not get the CEL. This is the scope of your study, correct? To identify that the diagnostics are being done in accordance with regulations. Sooo, the older vehicles may not be throwing a CEL when indeed needed due to an infrequent diagnostic as preset by the manufacturer.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:57 PM

Sooo, the older vehicles may not be throwing a CEL when indeed needed due to an infrequent diagnostic as preset by the manufacturer.
That is correct.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 PM

Good news. Are you aware if the results are to be made public? Doesn't really seem like something they would want the general population to know about, but I'm interested to know the frequency of the diagnostic checks and if they are actually happening per schedule.