Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Paddle Shift Mode ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Default Paddle Shift Mode ?

When using the paddle shifters, are they supposed to engage when depressed or only when the gear shift is moved into the manual shift mode?

The reason i'm asking is that i accidentally bumpedthe paddleand it went from "D" to "5" and i didn't notice it for while. Then as i was going up hill i realized it wasn't downshifting and i saw that it was in paddle shift mode. This seems kind of odd that you can switch it over accidentally like that and possibly end up making it bounce off the rev limiter for long periods without being aware of it. This seems counterintuitive and kind of hard on the tranny. Also the only way to get back to "D" is to move the gear shift over and back.

I alsotested out what itdoes whenyou don't downshift before stopping. Once stopped itgoes into 1st, but then will not upshift unless you hit the paddle. I realize the paddles are for manual shifting, but it shouldn't be that easy to get into manual mode. My wife is gonna tear up the tranny if that's case.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Default RE: Paddle Shift Mode ?

If you hold the right paddle for a few seconds, it will go back to automatic.

My experience is that if the stick is on D (automatic) and you touch the paddles to go into manual, it will automatically switch back to D (Automatic) if I come to a complete stop.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM

I'll have to check that again. Mine seemed to stay in the number mode.

I wasn't aware that holding the right paddle caused it to go back to "D". Thanx for the info. The manual leaves a little to be desired on the paddle shift and AWD system.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Well first off, the 07-08 outtie isnt AWD, its a 4WD system. Second, like chenarm said, if you hold the right paddle down for longer than 1 second AND you are in "D" the manual control is deactivated. The right paddle shifter says "+/off"....

I dont see the paddle shifters being in the way where I'm always accidently bumping it into manual mode. The tranny was obviously designed to take mistakes though, so no worries there. There is a rev-limiter.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM

Having owned several 4x4's and AWD's (Subarus) I can tell you the Outtie is much more an AWD than a 4x4 no matter what Mitsuwants to call it. I'm not complaining,I love AWD and unless you are towing something heavy into and out of the woods or water who needs adedicated 4x4.

The paddles aren't in the way, i reallydon't know how it bumped it. Maybe reaching for the dash buttons or playing with the turn signal stalk.

Being that i've only driven the car twice so far (the wife gets it during the week since I havecompany car)I didn't realizethe paddles said+/OFF or -/ON. It was dark when I bought it and dark when i drove it last. I'll have to play with it more this weekend.

Thanx for the info though.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

Having owned several 4x4's and AWD's (Subarus) I can tell you the Outtie is much more an AWD than a 4x4 no matter what Mitsuwants to call it.
Well technically its a 4WD system. I would agree that in 4WD Auto it acts more like an AWD system though. Just think of it as a bass ackward 4WD since it is a FWD vehicle and usually 4WD vehicles are RWD...

Old 01-28-2008, 04:53 PM

4WD isAWD by definition. The Outie uses a computer-controlled variable AWD. A very advanced system that varies traction from front to rear depending on selected mode and demand.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 PM

Actually AWD is 4WD by definition...

Four-Wheel Drive: a drive system in which engine power is transmitted to all four wheels for improved traction. http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...0wheel%20drive

All-Wheel Drive: a type of four wheel drive system that is similar to permanent four wheel drive but does not offer low range 4x4 capabilities for off road conditions. http://trucks.about.com/cs/4x4offroa...wheeldrive.htm

Outlander is a 4WD system. It does have the characteristics of AWD, but is in fact 4WD. Also, the Outtie has a system that transfers TORQUE from front to rear depending on the selected mode. Not "traction".

Otherwise Mitsubishi likes false advertisement since the back of the Outlander says "4WD", not "AWD", and they publish things like this: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...0&mime=ASC

Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM

Picky picky picky!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM

U guys make me laugh . It's all relative these days with companies using new terminology to say the same thing about an old product to make it sound more cool or modern. Like the saying goes "If it aint broke don't fix it".

Well, whatever they want to call it...I like it.[8D]

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift Mode ?