Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Paint chips on rear dog legs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Default Paint chips on rear dog legs

I have a 2012 Outlander and one of my few gripes is that I seem to get chips in the paint seemingly very easily. Specifically on the leading edge of the rear dog legs, right on the wheel arch where it meets the door. I initially thought that maybe the dog had chipped it up getting into and out of the car but it's happening on both sides and way too severe and frequent to be from the dog. It has to be stone chips so I put mud flaps on the front, but the difference was negligible at best. I touch it up at least once annually but it's gotten to the point that the entire leading edge is almost entirely bare metal.

I'm going to have the car at the body shop for something completely different in the next month or so. If the cost is fair I'll have them re-paint the dog-legs too. But, if I'm going to go through the trouble of getting it fixed, I'd like to prevent the damage from occurring again as well. Has anybody else seen this issue? Does anybody have any remedies for prevention?