Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

paint coming off

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Unhappy paint coming off

I purchased a 2008 outlander in December of 2008. As soon as I drove it off the dealers lot it began losing paint along the rocker panels and at the leading edgo of the rear fender. It is 6 months old now and the damage is quite severe. Mitsubushi says this is not covered by the warranty as it is being caused by road debris. I say this is very unuasual and should be covered by the warranty as there is something wrong with either the body shape design, the paint or both. I am happy with every other aspect of the car except this but had I known then what I know now I would have bought a Honda or Toyota.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM

With whom did you speak with at the dealership? The best way to get a definitive answer to your claim is to talk to a rep from mmc america. They normally send a rep to oversee warranty claims at dealerships on a scheduled interval. You may want to call the head company to inquire the schedule of the rep that goes to your dealer and go on that day.

I was told by my dealer in huntington beach about this as I had an item I wanted them to look at before.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 PM

you are not the only one with that problem stust me. I have for 750 $ of paint to fix on mine.
i install 2 step bar ( 360 $ ) to help protect the paint, did not fix the paint yet.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Greetings. It is a guarantee case. The Moscow representatives paint it free of charge. At Mittsubisi initially bad painting.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Mitsu paint sucks...

A bunch of us over at another lancer forums are planning on all calling in and complaining on the same day
coming up in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by LaNcErEVOLUTION

I know we all have bad paint on out lancers. I am the one that wrote the letter that many of us sent last year.
This time we are all going to call. If we all call on June 12th, and flood there phone lines, it might set off a
light bulb in someones head. So on June 12th please call Mitsubishi at 1-888-648-7820. I will be posting this on
every Mitsubishi forum I can think of.

And here is my paint looks like on my 09 Lancer GTS

-- complete BS. my brand new car is already screwed up... They need to do something about it. I would hope
everyone calls in and complains on the 12th

Name:  Blackedout005.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  379.0 KB

Last edited by Alpha7; 05-18-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Default bad MMC paint

Yes Alpha7...
This is exactly what is happening to my new Outlander and I am as mad as hell!
I have an appointment at the dealers this morning re that brake recall and will bring the subject of bad paint up forcefully.
I have already cost them one sale that I know of. A woman at my work was interested in Outlander and had had a test drive at the same dealership. I told her what was happening and now she is looking at CRV.
If they do not fix my car it will cost them in sales and maintenance. I'll have all my maintenance done at my local garage instead of their shop. This plus I will tell everyone I know not to even consider Mitsubishi!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Default dealer visit

I just took my Outlander down to the dealer to have the brake recall done and while there ripped a strip off them about the paint. I got sympathy but no committments other than a meeting with the corporate guy for May 29.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Default =*(

just little stuff to share.

i have 2 problems i got really upset about. i own a 2008 xls btw.

1. u know the place where you put the jack?? some how.. they placed it incorrectly and by around like 8 months after... there's acutally 2 bumps sticking out from the bakc fender.... (hope you guys know what i'm talking about).... and i went back.. and we argure for sooooo long and end up still not under warranty but then my sales guy just took out whatever amount and ask one of the dent guy to come fix it... so watch out guys.. make sure the jack is in place ....

2. samething..for the paint part.. is like the gap between the back bumper and the back fender... the paint just came off... and i went back and i even purchase the dealer extended warranty and told me it's not under that too.. WTF..... and i had to use those touch up paint to just fixed it... ... WTF....

yeah.. that's pretty much my complaints.. hope you guys will look into that too...

Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Angry Bad Paint

Hi All:

I have a 2007 XLS with a problem by the gas door....It is a white crescent around where the gas cap cover meets the car body...

I showed to to my dealer and he said that it is not a Mitsu problem....

I called Mitsu and they said it was up to the dealer...

Any ideas as to what to do now.....

Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Just an FYI for some of the newer members. Last year there was a similiar thread regarding the paint chipping on Outlanders. If I remember correctly for some reason it was worse on red Outlanders. Not sure if that thread would still be on this forum, but it might be worth searching for it to see what resolution, if any, members got from mitsu or the dealer.

I own a diamond white pearl outtie (bought June 2008) and so far I haven't had any issues with the paint. However, I do live in an area where it doesn't snow so I don't have the problem of salt, sand, and other grit on the road during winter.

Quick Reply: paint coming off