Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Photo sensor on the 07 XLS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Default RE: Photo sensor on the 07 XLS?

Ha! It looks different so you must have the photo sensor. No Outlander has Auto ON headlights (only OFF) so it is not functional (at least not for the lights). Why is there, I have no idea. Perhaps if you get a stalk, it could be enabled. This option is available on other markets (Euro for example) so the parts are out there.

2008 Japanese Accessories Catalogue, p.20 (p/n MZ590789)

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/support/accessory/catalog/pdf/OUTLANDER_AC_07- 10.pdf

Old 10-25-2007, 11:32 PM

Exactly. I don't know what the push button is though, but you could see the Auto position for the head lights. They have it in Europe so I guess I could find a way to source it from there (LHD).

Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 PM

The photo sensor on the XLS is active. It does not switch on the headlights, but it does switch on the dash lights. You can see this if you drive into a dark garage or if the weather is bad....the dash lights will automatically come on.

I have heard a rumor that you can get a dealership to program your headlights to automatically come on also...though I have not confirmed this.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: chowc

The photo sensor on the XLS is active. It does not switch on the headlights, but it does switch on the dash lights. You can see this if you drive into a dark garage or if the weather is bad....the dash lights will automatically come on.

I have heard a rumor that you can get a dealership to program your headlights to automatically come on also...though I have not confirmed this.
I have yet to verify your statement, although at this point I'm skeptical. I have never seen my dash light turn "ON" when it turns dark. Not unless I turn the light stalk to low or high beam of course.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:55 AM
ash

I have the Sensor on my UK Warrior version. It just operates the lights when the stalk is in auto. I leave the lights in the auto position most of the time and it does save you having to remember to turn them on and off. During daylight however the lights will sometimes come on when driving under trees and not come on when driving in fog.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 AM

The UK models have Auto ON/OFF headlights feature listed as a feature so it is expected to work as described by ASH. This is how it works on my Mazda3 (and many North American cars).
What I'm trying to determine is if I can enable - with the appropriate mods, this feature on my Outie.
I already asked Mitsu Canada if this is possible and their answer was NO. After that I dropped the idea of exploring this possibility, until few days ago when I accidentally came across that section in the manual which says that the XLS has a photo sensor and than the stalk in the Japanese catalogue. This gave me hope that the mod is possible. I'm more and more confident that the wiring is there and it only needs the required components - sensor, stalk.

Ash: would you be able to post a picture of your photo sensor for comparison with what we have in North America (rcpax picture)? Thanks.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:17 AM
ash

The sensor on my car looks exactly the same as the one in the photo posted by rcpax.

But here's a photo of it anyway

[IMG]local://upfiles/12284/A5E4934335DB4A5B9BE55B8E649E86A8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM

+1 That's the first thing I notice when I got my XLS this summer when you drive in a dark garage or bad weather the dash light come on On my Canadian XLS so the photo Sensor does work for me to !

Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM

Great! Thanks Ash.

Roach: do you have the Navi on your Canadian XLS? The reason I'masking is that somebuttons seem to work differently between the Navi and non-Navi models. One example is the steering wheel up/down buttons functionality. Justcovering the bases.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 AM

You need at least another stalk with the Auto position for the lights before anything else. I too believe it's possible. Maybe we can get some inside info from our Mitsu techs members.

Quick Reply: Photo sensor on the 07 XLS?