Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Possible to disable Icy conditions warning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Default RE: Possible to disable Icy conditions warning?

ORIGINAL: tcp

Mr Brews:
The problem is less with it happening once, it is part of a whole series of warnings and effects that can drive you crazy. Here's an example:

You start the car, have winter wheels/tires without the TPMS and get the tire pressure error.
Wait until it allows you to reset the error by holding the button for a few seconds. Errors disappear. Pull out of the garage, cold weather warning goes off. wait. Now the tire pressure sensor warning comes on again. wait and hold button to reset again. get to the end of the street where there is a bit of ice under one wheel, triggering the ABS. Uh oh, the TPMS has to be reset again. Now the temperature is around 3C and as you go up in elevation it goes above 3C, then as you descend into a valley, below 3C triggering the warning again...then you get to do the TPMS again...etc.

The fact that you can't disable the warnings causes steady display issues. I usually leave the TPMS warning and don't reset it. Makes the display useless during winter months...quite a "feature", eh?
you can blame american idiots for the tire pressure sensors. Had your average twit actually ever checked their own tires, the whole firestone fiasco wouldnt have happened, thereby not requiring the government to babysit for yet another reason in our moronic society.
Having said that, you bought the car knowing full well that modifying it would cause issues. Cant blame the car for that. Blame our litigious society and the lawyers.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 PM

Lol .
I like you Manybrews

Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Has anyone seriously thought: "Oh, thank goodness the 37 degree alarm just went off. Otherwise I could have gotten into trouble."

I mean, honestly. No s**t it's cold outside. Deal with it. If you need your car to tell you that...I'm not whining, it's just completely unnecessary. The people who don't mind it are probably those who don't live in a cold climate.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:18 AM

i live in the rocky mountians and i find the warning quite nice actually. kind of a friendly reminder that everyone on the road is now driving like a dumbass

Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM

I actually like the ice warning. That's because we live in an area where it snows in one city and not in the next. This is the time of the year when 20 miles away the weather conditions are different. It's crazy when its 40C and you see people driving with a pile of snow on top of their cars. So it's nice to remind the driver that conditions has changed and there could actually be ice on the road.

Now, the question about having the ability to disable it is another question. I guess Mitsubishi has gone the extra mile to make their cars safer, so we now have this warning and the TPMS, seatbelts, etc. I guess we just have to live with it.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: MadisonMini

Has anyone seriously thought: "Oh, thank goodness the 37 degree alarm just went off. Otherwise I could have gotten into trouble."

I mean, honestly. No s**t it's cold outside. Deal with it. If you need your car to tell you that...I'm not whining, it's just completely unnecessary. The people who don't mind it are probably those who don't live in a cold climate.
its MUCH more useful than the tire pressure sensor.
you have no idea the outside temp if you drive for a while. It will often be over 40 during the day, but drop to 30 at night.. That makes for nice, black ice.

just letting people know its below freezing is a simple and effective way to keep them from sliding off the road.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

I actually like the ice warning. That's because we live in an area where it snows in one city and not in the next. This is the time of the year when 20 miles away the weather conditions are different. It's crazy when its 40C and you see people driving with a pile of snow on top of their cars. So it's nice to remind the driver that conditions has changed and there could actually be ice on the road.

Now, the question about having the ability to disable it is another question. I guess Mitsubishi has gone the extra mile to make their cars safer, so we now have this warning and the TPMS, seatbelts, etc. I guess we just have to live with it.
keep in mind that MOST of the safety items on your car are required by federal law.
That includes the tire sensors, the seatbelt warning, etc.

By the way, all those things make your car better and safer for the average person.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 AM

It is a minor annoyance though when you can look out your window see three feet of snow, know the temp is -30 and your getting beeps because there "may" be slippery conditions. We had an 05 Sentra before this and all it did was show a small warning by the odometer, no annoying beeps.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 AM

if it pisses you off that much, blow it up, claim the insurance, and buy a new vehicle that does not have an audible alarm. problem solved.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: brynm

It is a minor annoyance though when you can look out your window see three feet of snow, know the temp is -30 and your getting beeps because there "may" be slippery conditions. We had an 05 Sentra before this and all it did was show a small warning by the odometer, no annoying beeps.
yeah, but you see it doesnt go from 50 degrees above to 30 below. There are a few degrees in between. And unfortunatly, you cant tell when the moisture on the damp road freezes because you cant SEE the difference between 33 and 31 degrees. So it is in fact a good warning.
Its obviously not meant to warn people when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground. Use some common sense.

Quick Reply: Possible to disable Icy conditions warning?