Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Post your 08' MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Post your 08' MPG

I just got back from a trip where I averaged 33.6 mpg. I have a picture to prove it if anyone's interested. I've got the 3.0 v6. It's the highest I've ever seen.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM

OMG...

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM

If I get on the highway and reset the mpg reading to zero, and drive 55 mph with no abrupt acceleration, no hills, etc. I will get a reading of somewhere around 27 mpg. But that is in no way indicative of normal driving. Plus, I don't rely on the gauge. I manually record the gallons to fill, and the miles driven. Last 2 tanks 20.1 mpg and 19.3 mpg. More highway on the first tank, more city on the second. It would be great if you guys would register at www.fueleconomy.gov and record your mpg there. More real-life statistics for us all to go by.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM

Somebody have make test to try
2wd MPG
4WD MPG and
4WD lock MPG
see if it realy have a difference

Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

I just got back from a 1k mileround trip excursion this weekend and have some interesting results on mileage to share. In passing the time, I used the MMCS trip/lap function to calculate economy on particularly interesting legs, so this is the basis for my numbers. I also calculated mpg on refuels and it turns out that the computer is fairly accurate. More on this later.

First of all, as several have mentioned, there are MANY MANY variables in play when discussing economy, and it appears from my results that the Outlander is still very sensitive to wind, hills, and speed. This could probably be due to the engine/tranny combo which is very efficient in road conditions, but any extra torque has a high cost. Also keep in mind that all of these numbers are with a 2WD Outlander. Finally, I think I have a very light foot, so no sudden accelerations unless necessary. I have noticed thatthese fast starts played a huge role in economy.

The best mileage that I got on this trip was 28.9 mpg - this was on a short (~15 mi) stretch when I was following a large truck on the interstate at about 65 mph. Didn't ride his bumper or anything, just casual following. Also, there were rolling hills involved, so I would lose the draft every now and then as our speeds varied. This was with A/C running, and mild outside temps (below 90 degF).

Now, same conditions, NOT following the truck, I averaged about 27.5-28 mpg (1-1.5 mpg worse). This appeared to be a very repeatable number at 65-70 mph with no wind and few hills, A/C running with outside temps at or below 90 degF. Attached is an examplerecord of these legs.

After this, the speed limit increased to 80 mph, and this really killed mileage. Went down to about 24 mpg (3-4 mpg worse), which is what I typically get in city conditions. I also had a little bit of side wind that affected me.

On the return trip, the Texas summer startedtaking its toll; 20+ mph sustained wind and A/C compensating for 100+ degF outside temp reallyaffects economy. Add to this the increased traffic on 2 lane roads that I had to deal with in the afternoon, and the long term highway economy ended up somewhere around 25 mpg. This closely matched my "at-the-pump" calculations, which were 24.7-25 mpg.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14839/104CA5F2ACF84B97B2275B8F70B8C4FF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14839/6B077DB3DDA24E589DD2CE9AA969039B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Idon't get these numbers because they seem to be unrealistic. Can you tell what how many miles do you get on a tank for your daily/normal driving? I get about 210 miles on a tank (which is 15 gallons) before I need to fill up again which is equivalent to 14 mpg. I drive 50 hwy/ 50 freeway. I do have a heavy foot and there is a lot of stop and go.

I went a camping trip last weekendand got 300 miles out of this thing which is equivalent to 20 mpg. I was going mostly 60-80 the whole trip.

To get those claimed 33 mpg you must've been driving downthe hill half the time and your speed was about55 mph which is not going to be your daily commute.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: klas

I get about 210 miles on a tank (which is 15 gallons) before I need to fill up again which is equivalent to 14 mpg.
I went a camping trip last weekendand got 300 miles out of this thing which is equivalent to 20 mpg. I was going mostly 60-80 the whole trip.
Generally you don't use all 15 gallons in your tank before refueling--even when the light comes on there could be 3 or more gallons left, so this would influence your numbers a bit. Gotta check out exactly how much you put in the tank. 300 miles is definately in the ballpark of what I get on a tank, but I will only put back in 11-12 gals on refuel (25-27 mpg).

Just curious, what does the MPG computer say you average in normal commute?

I drive 50 hwy/ 50 freeway. I do have a heavy foot and there is a lot of stop and go.
Driving habits play a very large role in economy, as do MANY other factors--also makes it very hard to compare. Stop and go is generally the worst because you are getting 0 mpg every second you are stopped. That being said, on my Toyota Corolla, which is already a very efficient car, I have been able to increase mileage from 34 to 38.5 mpg in city driving for my commute just via driving habit changes--using cruise control at posted speed limits, no tailgating, slowing down well before stopping, and in general trying to coast and not use brake until necessary. A lot of my commute is 40-45mph between stop lights, which is the optimum speed for economy if you can time the lights right or never really come to a stop. But one really bad traffic jam can screw up economy for a while.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM

you are right, I've consistently refuled with 12 gallons at 200 miles mark which is 200/12 = 16 mpg which is exactly what MPG computer says.

and when I drove on freeway I got 300 miles also refuled 12 gallons which is 25 mpg.

I did get claimed 33 mpg when I was driving on a flat hwy on a cruise at 60 miles/hour for a few mins

With that said, I think just like any other SUV Outlander sucks for daily city commute, I prefer carpool in our other car which is 08 Sentra.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM

Still, 16 mpg is pretty low from what I've seen.

Even though the Outlander doesn't quite hit the sedan numbers, it is definately one of the highest of SUVs available here in US.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Yup,

We must remember that a 07 XLS 4WD weighs nearly 4000 lbs.

In Hawaii, I can average 17/20 City , 20/23 Combo and 23+ Hwy.
Daily, I average about 22 MPG using synthetic engine oil.

"She" seems to have the best MPG below 60 MPH, with the RPM kept low/under 2,000 in 6th gear/OD.

I suspect that better MPG is possible with:
-Synthetic fluids in the engine, trans and differential,
-A performance air filter and exhaust system,
-Reducing the load/drag from the alternator with LED/HID lighting,
-Installing the "Plasma" spark plugs and
-Performance rims (light weight racing) with tires.

But this is suspect and needs to be shown,
although some performance magazines have proven that
horsepower has been increased
with these modifications.

E

Quick Reply: Post your 08' MPG