Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Potential New Outlander Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Default Potential New Outlander Owner

I'm looking to replace our aging, well used 07 grand caravan with something a bit more fun, easier on fuel, and fitting for our lifestyle.
Popped into the local dealership (opened a year or so ago) and took a look at a 2012 Outlander xls.
Originally I was going in to look at the RVR, but the sales guy and wife steered the conversation over to the Outlander.

So... here I am, looking for some insight from current or previous owners of the Outlander.
What are common issues with this vehicle?
What do you really like about it?
What do you really hate about it?
How are these vehicles with everything computer controled?
For the awd system, when down in the dirt (or snow), will it engage more then one wheel in the front/back (i.e say I'm hung up, will it spin only one wheel at either end)?
Are there any specifics I should watch out for if I was to sign on the dotted line for one?
If you where to buy another, would it be an Outlander?

Here is the requirements I have for our household utility vehicle;
Daily commute for work is 160km round trip of 90% hwy (mostly 2-lane, 90-100kmph average speed). That's 41600km a year for work along.
Have a wife and two young boys (1 and 3 years old).
Live in Northern Ontario Canada, so half the year is winter driving (my fwd was perfectly fine in the snow)
Morning drive to work is in the dark (evening is dark during the winter months).
Need to be able to transport kayaks, mtn bikes and handle mild off-roading (expecting better then the van if awd)

Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Northern Mike
I'm looking to replace our aging, well used 07 grand caravan with something a bit more fun, easier on fuel, and fitting for our lifestyle.
Popped into the local dealership (opened a year or so ago) and took a look at a 2012 Outlander xls.
Originally I was going in to look at the RVR, but the sales guy and wife steered the conversation over to the Outlander.

So... here I am, looking for some insight from current or previous owners of the Outlander.
What are common issues with this vehicle?
What do you really like about it?
What do you really hate about it?
How are these vehicles with everything computer controled?
For the awd system, when down in the dirt (or snow), will it engage more then one wheel in the front/back (i.e say I'm hung up, will it spin only one wheel at either end)?
Are there any specifics I should watch out for if I was to sign on the dotted line for one?
If you where to buy another, would it be an Outlander?

Here is the requirements I have for our household utility vehicle;
Daily commute for work is 160km round trip of 90% hwy (mostly 2-lane, 90-100kmph average speed). That's 41600km a year for work along.
Have a wife and two young boys (1 and 3 years old).
Live in Northern Ontario Canada, so half the year is winter driving (my fwd was perfectly fine in the snow)
Morning drive to work is in the dark (evening is dark during the winter months).
Need to be able to transport kayaks, mtn bikes and handle mild off-roading (expecting better then the van if awd)

Hey there,

I'll give you my opinion from what I have experienced..

I have a 2009 V6 4wd. I have the LS (mid range model with 16" tires).
I really like it. With a good set of winter tires on it, the thing is an absolute TANK in the snow. We live in NS.
I do alot of mountain biking, camping, etc, so I have the thing packed up alot - and the rear tailgate is a great place to put on your golf shoes before a round as well

I have heard alot of people with the XLS complain about the stock tires.

Handling on mine even with a 70 aspect ratio tire was great for a CUV.

Gas mileage - meh. Highway is great. City will kill you (in my experience)

I have 80000km on it and nothing really wrong yet. My seat was a bit loose but that was all.

One thing I DO NOT like is the service. I find it horrible. I had a mazda prior to the outlander and the service wasn't even in the same league- way better.

I bought some thule roof racks for it - but haven't used it yet. I think the weight limit for the roof is 100lbs (including the crossbars)

All in all, it's my first CUV/SUV and I really do like it. I'm sure the XLS with the enhanced 4wd is even better than what I have....

I haven't gone off roading in it except for a few mountain roads in the rockies and I never got stuck (not even in snow).....

Hope that helps!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM

I've owned my Outlander for 45 months since buying new in June of 2008 and have not had any issues with it. Consumer Reports rates them above average on reliability. I like the handling of the vehicle. The seats are very comfortable on long trips and the cargo space in the back is among the best for its class. I have 2WD and live in a warm weather area, so I can't speak to how it handles in snow, but others on this forum can. Would I buy another Outlander, yes I would..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Hey there,

I'll give you my opinion from what I have experienced..

I have a 2009 V6 4wd. I have the LS (mid range model with 16" tires).
I really like it. With a good set of winter tires on it, the thing is an absolute TANK in the snow. We live in NS.
I do alot of mountain biking, camping, etc, so I have the thing packed up alot - and the rear tailgate is a great place to put on your golf shoes before a round as well

I have heard alot of people with the XLS complain about the stock tires.

Handling on mine even with a 70 aspect ratio tire was great for a CUV.

Gas mileage - meh. Highway is great. City will kill you (in my experience)

I have 80000km on it and nothing really wrong yet. My seat was a bit loose but that was all.

One thing I DO NOT like is the service. I find it horrible. I had a mazda prior to the outlander and the service wasn't even in the same league- way better.

I bought some thule roof racks for it - but haven't used it yet. I think the weight limit for the roof is 100lbs (including the crossbars)

All in all, it's my first CUV/SUV and I really do like it. I'm sure the XLS with the enhanced 4wd is even better than what I have....

I haven't gone off roading in it except for a few mountain roads in the rockies and I never got stuck (not even in snow).....

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the feedback. Our environments are fairly similar and I'll probably have it out a half dozen times or so in Sydney Mines NS (inlaws are out there).
In regards to the roof limits, 100lb is more then enough. My bigger kayak is ~45lb and the smaller one is if 40lb.
I am definately not a van of the larger tires on the XLS model. with this probably being mostly a hwy queen, I'm going to go through more rubber and 18's getting pricy (compared to 16's).

I'm assuming the roof rack you went with was aftermarket? When I asked about the cross bars (for the kayaks) it was somewhere around $600 for them (better be gold plated).
With the LS awd system, can you control it by selecting 2 wheel drove or 4?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
I've owned my Outlander for 45 months since buying new in June of 2008 and have not had any issues with it. Consumer Reports rates them above average on reliability. I like the handling of the vehicle. The seats are very comfortable on long trips and the cargo space in the back is among the best for its class. I have 2WD and live in a warm weather area, so I can't speak to how it handles in snow, but others on this forum can. Would I buy another Outlander, yes I would..
Thanks for the info. I spend about an hour and a half a day in the car/van with my commute to work, so comfortable seats are nice to have. I did find that the Outlander we test drove last night was much more comfortable then our van (and definately more then my Caliber SRT we drove there). I would imagine that if I had sent a few minutes getting everything adjusted (not just front to back so I could reach the peddles correctly), it would have been even better.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Mike
Thanks for the feedback. Our environments are fairly similar and I'll probably have it out a half dozen times or so in Sydney Mines NS (inlaws are out there).
In regards to the roof limits, 100lb is more then enough. My bigger kayak is ~45lb and the smaller one is if 40lb.
I am definately not a van of the larger tires on the XLS model. with this probably being mostly a hwy queen, I'm going to go through more rubber and 18's getting pricy (compared to 16's).

I'm assuming the roof rack you went with was aftermarket? When I asked about the cross bars (for the kayaks) it was somewhere around $600 for them (better be gold plated).
With the LS awd system, can you control it by selecting 2 wheel drove or 4?
Yeah, the crossbars and locks and everything I got used for $150 - new it would have been over $400.
and yes, we have the 2wd/4wd/4wd lock selector. like I said, throw it in 4wd lock with snow tires and the thing is unstoppable. We took the 1A up to Lake Louise from Banff in March of 2010 (which had TONS of snow on it) and 0 problems whatsoever in 4wdlock.

It's funny, when we moved back to NS from Alberta (there for 3 years) the car carrier with our outlander on it broke down in Thunder Bay for a week during January lol

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Yeah, the crossbars and locks and everything I got used for $150 - new it would have been over $400.
and yes, we have the 2wd/4wd/4wd lock selector. like I said, throw it in 4wd lock with snow tires and the thing is unstoppable. We took the 1A up to Lake Louise from Banff in March of 2010 (which had TONS of snow on it) and 0 problems whatsoever in 4wdlock.

It's funny, when we moved back to NS from Alberta (there for 3 years) the car carrier with our outlander on it broke down in Thunder Bay for a week during January lol

I'm actually in NoelVille now (Just outside of Sudbury). You probably drove through here on your way across.

Back on topic... The awd selection you have is what I am use too. This computer deciding what I should have is something I may have to get use to. My concern with the arrangement in the higher model is if you get stuck, your screwed. With the setup you have, go in with 2wd, and if it gets bad, kick it into 4wd. At least with this option, you know your boundaries.

I may consider looking at the lower model as it's starting to look more and more like what I want.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM

The XLS S-AWC work differently.
There is no 2WD just AWD with various percentage of front and rear bias.

Tarmac
is for hard surface biased something like 65% front 35% rear.

Snow for slick stuff biased around 55% - 45%.

Both of the above vary left to right on the front as it has an electronically controlled differential.

Lock is for the deep stuff and all diff are locked front /rear and left/right.
The diff in the back is open.

Since the Canadian XLS is the same as the US GT, have a look at this PowerPoint presentation. It cover a lot including the GT S-AWC.

Mitsubishi Motors Newsroom

That said and not tried I think in the worst case you will have 2 front wheels and one back running.

Also this thread https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...eaction-41264/

Some nice Video posted by Vadimus

Last edited by Claude_A; 03-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Thank you for all the info.
After doing a lot of reading and watching some you tube videos of a bunch of Russians abusing their CUV/SUVs, the Outlander is starting to look more and more like the perfect fit. It has all the features and creature comforts for moving the family, and from what I can see, with decent tires, will be solid enough for the offroading I am looking for.
Out of the vehicles I have looked at that are comparable, the Subaru Forester and Outback are probably the closest I have found for about the same price. They come with less hp/tq for the price, but do have a manual gear box in a higher model (both the wife and I would rather a manual if we could get it).

Anyway, so far I think I am sold on the Outlander (GT or the Canadian equiviant).
What do you guys not like about your Outlander and or what has caused you problems?

Also, being an owner of an SRT, mods are always of interest. Although I doubt I'll do much to this vehicle, is there much of an aftermarket for these?