Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Problems with 2011 Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Question Problems with 2011 Outlander Sport

I am a new owner of a 2011 Outlander Sport SE. I currently have 2500 miles on it and have been experiencing issues with this vehicle since 1500 miles. I have a terrible "rattling" noise coming from the passenger rear wheel when driving over rough roads/bumps. I took it in for inspection to my dealer and was told that it was "normal" noise and that it was coming from the strut plate. The tech advised me that they drove 2 other Outlander Sports and they made the same "noise". I am not happy about this probelm. Just yesterday, the noise seems to go away when I apply the brake when driving over bumps/rough roads. I personally think this is coming from somewhere in the wheel assembly (ie brake calipers).

Has anyone experienced this problem and what have you done about it? I love my car but this noise is driving me nuts!!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM

Ask that idiot of a dealer if Mitsubishi paid an engineer to design something so it rattles and makes noise.

Then tell the idiot to FIX it. Anything connected with steering and suspension is not supposed to rattle.

Is your idiot dealer in Green Bay? Sounds like the one I bought mine from.

Total IDIOTS.

I will drive 30 miles to another dealer before I darken the door at Van's Honda-Mitsubishi again.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:11 AM

I know what you are saying. I purchased mine at Ron Marhofer Mitsubishi and think that their service is rediculous. Any tech that would tell you their is a problem with the strut plate and in the same sentence say the probelm is "normal" is below par. I dont beleive it is in the strut...its coming from the caliper I think. I am going to take the car back and make them fix it! Thanks for your comment.

Last edited by Racerock; 09-24-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 PM

It sound like the pads are rattling in the caliper.

I had that problem with a Dodge Intrepid (many common design with Mitsu)
after a brake job. It turned out the anti rattle clip was miss-installed on one side of the car.

The proof is it goes away when you brake.

2 others with the same noise only mean a batch problem on multiple car.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
2 others with the same noise only mean a batch problem on multiple car.
Is it enough argument? I was complaining on driver's seat being loose longitudinally unless set front at topmost back at bottom.
I was told that that's OK as the dealer's demo has the same issue

However, after almost 1 year with this seat slack I've seen MM3Canuck's Outlander completely not having that issue!

So I will see if "batch problem on multiple car, fix it" mantra has any influence on them.
Mitsu, I'm coming!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 PM

I have reviewed the replies for the noise concern and i am disgusted with a few of them. First did you inform the service department that the noise went away while applying the brakes. Also there might be a common problem with the vehicle but what is the tech supposed to do, engineer and machine new parts. The best resolution the dealer can offer is to attempt to isolate the noise to a specific component and escalate the issue to mitsu. Be patient if the dealer is doing their job and escalating it to mitsu, mitsu is likely looking into a fix.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 PM

Only "problem" we've had with ours so far is a buzzing/rattling sound that has started to come from the steering wheel column cover when driving over certain types of rough pavement. Just curious if anyone has noticed this issue on their 2011 RVR/Outlander Sport. I've got a service appointment this week so I'm going to mention it to them when I take it in. Hopefully it's just a little loose and they can fix the issue becaues it's driving me nuts. Other than that one minor issue it's been trouble free so far (10,000km on the odometer).

Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM

RaceRock,
Is your Outie Sport an AWD by chance? Just wondering... A bad strut plate will make the rattling noise you suggested, but so will may other things ( bad control arm bushings will do the same), I've seen many strange things during my years as a body and warranty tech. But yes, the noise going away when you brake would lead me to believe it is brake related. A bad strut plate can make a rattling noise, but most I've heard will make a noise when you turn the wheel (if its in the front) or a popping or clunking noise in the rear (as if something's loose). I saw older stratus's that had an aluminum bushing completely disintegrate to where the strut came up into the trunk (funny thing that Chrysler engineers forgot what happens when aluminum and steel meet).

Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Default @grumpyrom, Same here

Originally Posted by grumpyrom
Only "problem" we've had with ours so far is a buzzing/rattling sound that has started to come from the steering wheel column cover when driving over certain types of rough pavement. Just curious if anyone has noticed this issue on their 2011 RVR/Outlander Sport. I've got a service appointment this week so I....
I see the same thing, around 10k miles too. As soon as I move the steering wheel column a little bit up or down it goes away for a while. something is loose in there. Please let me know if they fix yours, I'll do the same, thanks.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM
ndj

I you assume that every member of staff at your Mitsubishi dealer has the IQ of a vegetable, doesn't care a bean if your car is faulty, nor gets repaired, and loses not one minute of sleep worrying about your disappointment with "the second largest financial commitment in your life" (after your house)......

.....you are likely to develop an attitude that will get your problem fixed a lot quicker.

Believe nothing, question everything, escalate always.....

....or buy a BMW instead

(Factually based) rant over

Quick Reply: Problems with 2011 Outlander Sport