Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Question about Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Default RE: Question about Oil Change

I found some ENEOS online, but it's $15/quart.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 PM

It's not all in vain, you made me do a bit of research on Mitsubishi. Although all the companies are under one umbrella, they are all independent, meaning that they have no implied business relationship, in fact some of them even compete against each other. The second thing is they don't all use the Three-Diamond mark, the Nippon Oil corp. is one that does not use the mark, it has it's own. So what ever is in the jug with the three-diamond on it, could be made by anybody and it is re-branded Mitsubishi Motors Corp.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

I found some ENEOS online, but it's $15/quart.
As I mentioned before you can buy a box of 6 bottles for $36, at least that's what google gave me. If you go to the ENEOS USA website they have a local dealer guide. In my area there is only one and they don't have it in stock. ENEOS also has an online store, so you can order some from their US website.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM

If ENEOS oil is supposed to be so good, why is Mitsubishi Motorsports sponsered by Repsol?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/mot...r_release.html

Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: mitsupartsman.com

If ENEOS oil is supposed to be so good, why is Mitsubishi Motorsports sponsered by Repsol?

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/mot...r_release.html
That question is like saying "Coke is better than Pepsi because they sponsor the Olympics". The only reason "why" is because money talks... Repsol is a very well known brand in Europe and they sponsor almost every event in Portugal and Spain (some in France too). The Iberian peninsula is their home base so it is only logical to sponsor the 7 year Dakar winner. From a marketing point of view it would not be logical to allow Shell to sponsor the winner in their home turf that would be insulting...

It's not really a question if Mobil, Repsol or ENEOS is better than the other. My point was that ENEOS was rated as the best oil for imports and just happens to be one of Mitsubishi companies. Then again when I was in Europe I used Repsol all the time because that was the brand that was available everywhere. When I was in South America I used Castrol and Shell. In the USA I used mainly Mobil and Agip. In Canada I used Quaker State and Mopar (Mopar was included in the price of my ex-van's checks, so I never complained). While I was in Japan it just happened to be both ENEOS and Castrol.

My dad has worked for Volvo and Toyota and he swears by Castrol and ENEOS, then again Mitsubishi may have a contract with Mobil hence why most dealerships in North America only provide Mobil as a standard part. In Europe I could see Mitsubishi siding with Repsol since it is available everywhere...

That's all... it's not that it is better than any other oil I was just pointing out the fact that ENEOS was the former "Mitsubishi Oil Company".

P.s. - Since ENEOS is still part of Mitsubishi I don't think it would be good company policy to spend more money of their own in sponsorships. Since they already provide the car, etc. (I don't think Mitsubishi's own Ralli-Art provide much into the Dakar race car since they could allow other companies to shell out money to sponsor the suspension system and other things)

BTW: Valeo has a contest right now on their website, they are giving away 5 iPods , just in case anybody is interested since we are in the motor oil / parts topic...lol...

Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM

Marc,
I don't know if they do manufacture oil or not. your probably correct that they don't.. but I bet they have oil built their specifications from the oil manufacture. That's not uncommon.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 AM

opps.. read page one of 3, and replied... I guess my reply is kind of out dated!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 PM

5w30 is fine..your engine won't self destruct...it's not that much thicker..I actuallyused it in my last oil change.5w20 would give you a few percent better MPGs (which is like a half MPG) If you want you can mix it half and half over 2 changes if you have some 5w30 you're wanting to get rid of

BTW..Advance Auto has a deal with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $30!! You can't buy the oil for that!