Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Question for those who change their own oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Default Question for those who change their own oil

I'm going to be doing my first oil change on the Outlander this weekend. I was taking a look at things and I'm wondering about this engine under-cover plastic piece. Questions:

1) Do you find it much easier to take the under-cover off when you change the oil?
2) Are the plastic retainer clips pretty easy to take out or is it easy to break them?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM
tcp
Default RE: Question for those who change their own oil

In the four oil changes i've done, i pulled the plastic only the first time. It's a bit of a pain and not really all that helpful. I makes things a bit easier to remove and replace the oil filter but not as much as you might think. There is a mixture of retaining clips and screws and there are a LOT of them. Too much effort for what you get, in my opinion.

The oil filter can be reached through the gaps in the plastic and with the correct oil filter wrench (i use a cap style one that fits the oil filter properly), it's not too bad. The only real issue is that the oil that is still in the filter has a tendency to run down the side of the engine at that point and dribble onto the starter which is directly under it. There is a drip guide between the two, but it doesn't get all the oil away from the starter and I always end up with drips there anyway. Maybe stuff a disposable rag between the drip guide and the starter to catch most of the extra.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Hey tcp,

Thanks for the response. That's good to know, and Iprobably will not remove that plastic piece if it's not really necessary.

I always use a strap-type filter wrench on my other vehicle, so maybe I'll have to pick up a cap filter wrench if the access is tight on the Outlander.

I was going through the current TSBs the other day and I found that there is actually a TSB that changes the oil change instructions in the manual, and tells the tech to cover the starter with a rag (just the problem that you had described).

Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM

follow up question about this subject: do we really need to use the oem filter, if not, what filter do you use and where do you get it?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 PM
tcp

Use the OEM filter. You have a 10 year warranty on drivetrain stuff. If you use a substandard filter or there is some lubrication problem, that's the easiest point of contention for them to refuse warranty work. It's not much more than an aftermarket filter and will never cause problems. I think they're $6-7 here in Canada...less in the States, i'm sure.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Here is a little something I do when I change the oil filter, I utilize a folded piece of aluminum foil, in the shape of a u,
about3 inches wide and 12 inches long and tape it to the underside of the metal funnel which is just below the filter.
This way the oil has a path to follow right down to you drain pan, no oil on the starter, and it removes easily for a quick
clean up !!! Works for me, try it.
Good Luck,
Russ

Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
tcp

I actually use a narrow mouthed funnel that fits over the spout and up against the block. Unfortunately, thespout seems to have some holes where it is attached to the block and I get spills anyway. I'll try the rag/foil method and see if that helps.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 AM

ORIGINAL: 05SUBTECINT

Here is a little something I do when I change the oil filter, I utilize a folded piece of aluminum foil, in the shape of a u,
about3 inches wide and 12 inches long and tape it to the underside of the metal funnel which is just below the filter.
This way the oil has a path to follow right down to you drain pan, no oil on the starter, and it removes easily for a quick
clean up !!! Works for me, try it.
Good Luck,
Russ
this is very creative and simple. lol. kicking myself in the head for not think of that on my previous vehicles when i did my own oil changes.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Thanx BrodyGuy,
I've used this method for years on any vehicle I've owned including my motorcycles
where the filter is attached to the block horizontally. Works great.
Sometimes the simple things in life are the one's that are most difficult to imagine !!! )

Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 AM

Is the filter in the same place in both the 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. Outlander?In my wife's 6 cyl. Camry, the filter is horizontal, and it is in the front of the engine, just below the exhaust manifold, whereas the 4 cyl.Camry has the filter vertical and is off to the front passenger side of the engine.

Quick Reply: Question for those who change their own oil