Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Question for those who change their own oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM

I was thinking about covering the starter with some plastic garbage bag, but rag and/or aluminum foil sounds pretty good too.

Good to hear about those push clips. I didn't feel like removing them, but was afraid that I wouldn't have enough room.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Bummer...

I changed the oil, but I couldn't remove the oil filter with my hand. And out of four (4!) oil filter wrenches that I have none fit (all my wrenches were too big)

My crush wrench couldn't do the job either. I also tried the rubber grip wrench, but it was too bulky and couldn't clear the oil spout.

Question: with new oil now in the engine, can I easily change the oil filter without dumping out most of the new oil? I am going wrench hunting now.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM

if you don't find a wrench, in the past, my dad has just run a large screwdriver through the filter and spun it off that way. sure it destroyed the filter, but it was bad anyway. I don't think it is the greatest idea, but I've seen it done and it worked.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ruski
Bummer...

I changed the oil, but I couldn't remove the oil filter with my hand. And out of four (4!) oil filter wrenches that I have none fit (all my wrenches were too big)

My crush wrench couldn't do the job either. I also tried the rubber grip wrench, but it was too bulky and couldn't clear the oil spout.

Question: with new oil now in the engine, can I easily change the oil filter without dumping out most of the new oil? I am going wrench hunting now.
It is tough with a strap wrench. I was able to take the slack out of the wrench enough and turn it slightly to get the filter started, then turned it off by hand. At least in comparison to my other cars I've owned the Outlander filter access pretty much sucks. If you don't remove the plastic under cover, you have to wedge your arm in between the cover and the frame. I will try the aluminum foil trick, but I expect there will always be opportunity to dump some oil on the starter. If there was an opportunity to get access from above by removing the air cleaner box or battery (?) I definitely would.

Couple other things for people reading this thread who haven't done the job yet:

- Drain plug requires a 17 mm wrench / socket.
- The distance between the crankcase drain and where the filter drains is pretty long, so you'll be better off using two separate basins.
- You'll need a funnel to fill the crankcase because the opening is quite recessed (apt to spill oil otherwise).

Ruski - I don't think there is a way to swap the filter without dumping most of the oil.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM

I just did my first oil change...didn't do the filter yet. (only 1k miles)

Anyway...the oil drain plug was waaay tight! Did anyone else notice this?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
if you don't find a wrench, in the past, my dad has just run a large screwdriver through the filter and spun it off that way. sure it destroyed the filter, but it was bad anyway. I don't think it is the greatest idea, but I've seen it done and it worked.
Done that before on other vehicles. Contemplating doing it with the Outlander's filter, but most of the filter is shielded by the spout, so I am not sure this would work.

Originally Posted by Wheeldog
It is tough with a strap wrench. I was able to take the slack out of the wrench enough and turn it slightly to get the filter started, then turned it off by hand. At least in comparison to my other cars I've owned the Outlander filter access pretty much sucks. If you don't remove the plastic under cover, you have to wedge your arm in between the cover and the frame. I will try the aluminum foil trick, but I expect there will always be opportunity to dump some oil on the starter. If there was an opportunity to get access from above by removing the air cleaner box or battery (?) I definitely would.

Couple other things for people reading this thread who haven't done the job yet:

- Drain plug requires a 17 mm wrench / socket.
- The distance between the crankcase drain and where the filter drains is pretty long, so you'll be better off using two separate basins.
- You'll need a funnel to fill the crankcase because the opening is quite recessed (apt to spill oil otherwise).

Ruski - I don't think there is a way to swap the filter without dumping most of the oil.
Even though the filter is so high up?

Good call about 17mm. It took me a few trips back to the socket set before I found the matching socket

Originally Posted by joe603

My drain plug was not tight, I just tapped with my palm on the wrench and it turned.
But is there supposed to be a rubber washer on the drain plug? I didn't find any washer on mine. (This other website that shows how to change Mitsubishi engine oil shows exactly the same plug and mentions the washer)

I am pissed about the filter wrench. I went today to Wal-Mart and to Advanced auto parts and bought two cup wrenches (one 65mm, another 65-67mm)
I actually tested them against a variety of replacement oil filters for 2008 Mitsu Outlander in the store and they fit nicely.
Came home, climbed under the Outie and tried to put them on the OEM filter - no go!!!
What kind of wrench size is the OEM filter?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM

By the way my replacement filter is K&N, at least it seems to be the same height as the OEM filter.

Mobil1 is pretty good size too.

FRAM is way too short (I never use FRAM on any of my cars anyway)

Some other replacement filters are way too short too.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe603

The thing I noticed is that the crush washer was not installed. The Mitsu service manual shows a crush washer for the plug, and mitsupartsman sent me one with the filter I ordered, so I used it. It seems weird that the Outlander doesn't come with one installed from the factory.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM

^^^
about that washer:

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/oil/index-gs.htm

Items / Tools Required
-Oil Filter - Part No : MD360935
-New Sump Plug Washer - Part No : MD050317
-Engine Flush (optional)
-4.5 Litres Oil
-Oil Filter Tool
-17mm Socket
-Old Rags / Cardboard
-Gloves
-Old Bowl / Oil Container
-Jack and Axle Stands

Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
I am pissed about the filter wrench. I went today to Wal-Mart and to Advanced auto parts and bought two cup wrenches (one 65mm, another 65-67mm)
I actually tested them against a variety of replacement oil filters for 2008 Mitsu Outlander in the store and they fit nicely.
Came home, climbed under the Outie and tried to put them on the OEM filter - no go!!!
What kind of wrench size is the OEM filter?

The oil filter cup wrench size is 68mm (14 flats).

Quick Reply: Question for those who change their own oil