Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Radar detector wiring - fuse box layout

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Default Radar detector wiring - fuse box layout

I've been attempting to wire up my Valentine One radar detector in my new Outlander XLS 4WD.

In the past, I have usually found a fuse for some non-vital system (for the Outlander, I chose the 20 ampere sunroof fuse #15), remove the fuse, wrap the positive power wire of the radar detector around one of the two fuse leads, and reinstall the fuse allowing the positive lead wire to be making contact with the one of the two contacts on the fuse female openings.

And the negative wire attached to any ground on the vehicle body.

I thought I had it working until I turned off the ignition and the radar detector stayed on! Not sure why, since the sunroof presumably has no power unless the ignition is on.

I know this is a crude method - but maybe someone with more electrical background why the detector stays powered with the ignition off. (The positive wire is in the lower opening of the 20A sunroof fuse.)

Now if someone knew a specific wire near the fuse box that has power only with the ignition on, I could put one of those special clamps over the wire to make contact and connect the positive wire to that.

Anyone know any good secrets in general on how to wire a radar detector so it is out of the way and relatively unseen?

Bud H

Old 04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Default RE: Radar detector wiring - fuse box layout

Easiest way to do it is to get wire testers. Test the fuse spots and see what has 12vs when the vehicle is on and reads 0 when turned off. I would not trust wrapping a wire around the fuse and smashing it into the spot. get a wire crimp end kit and take a male end. Soder the wire to this male adpt. and grind down the other end that goes in the fuse box to the same size of the rest of the fuses. Also put an inline fuse on the power line. I thinkI used a 10 amp on myradar detector.I have been doing it this way for 6 years now and have never had a bad experience.

I havent looked in my fuse box yet but im assuming that they left open spots like in other cars. If not another way is to cut away the top of a fuse the plastic covering. Then soder your wire to the exposed metal part inside the fuse.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM

Actually if you had just scrolled to page 2.. rdenis had an excellent write on up replacing your OEM mirror, that would be exactly what you are looking for.

Just replace the mirror with radar detector and you are done.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_129406/tm.htm

Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 PM

Budh:
Go to your local auto store and ask for a Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap System. Works on the same principle you are using now. You get an adapter that looks like a black fuse, but, it has to sockets for 2 fuses and a wire. Connect you Valentine wire to the wire in the Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap System and put 2 fuses in the respective sockets. After that, plug the whole Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap System to the empty fuse socket in your fuse box.
It's very clean, you Valentine has a separate fuse for it, and dissasembly is a snap in case you have to go to the dealer for service and you don't want them to see youve been messing with the electrical system. I can't live without my Valentine one. Hope this helps. I have a pic of the item but I don't know how to post it.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM

The lights on mine come on every time I open the door so I dont think that would work. I think it would supply power everytime the lights would come on.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 PM
JMC

I wonder if you could mount the radar in the center storage and feed the wires through if you drilled a small hole...?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Are you refering to putting it in the box? If so it wont work too well being hidden. The performance wont be there if at all.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 PM
JMC

gotcha....I was just thinking of a good place to mount it...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:19 PM

mount it up high close to the rearview.. best performance.
also, run the wires down the A-pillar, see the post about the homelink rearview mirror install, it should give you the location of everything u need to wire it to the fuse box...

Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
JMC

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

mount it up high close to the rearview.. best performance.
also, run the wires down the A-pillar, see the post about the homelink rearview mirror install, it should give you the location of everything u need to wire it to the fuse box...
That sounds like the best bet...thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Radar detector wiring - fuse box layout