Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Radio controls on steering wheel (Aust. Model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Default Radio controls on steering wheel (Aust. Model)

Hi Guys - I'm from Perth, Australia and very recently purchased an 07 Outlander VRX (built in July 07 according to the compliance plate). I'm extremely happy with it, although I must admit, we are still getting to know one another .

One thing that I'm a little perplexed with (and I'm not sure if this will be the same for non-Aussie models, so maybe some of the Aussie readers can help me out...) which I haven't found any reference to in these fine forums: With the radio/cd player controls on the steering wheel, when the input is set to Radio the buttons which act as the channel select control (or the skip track if in CD mode) causes the radio to scan for the next station, rather than scroll through my programmed stations as I would expect it to (and as happens in any other car I've ever had with audio controls on the steering wheel!). Is there anyway to change this? It's so annoying because you have to keep tuning through three or four stations you don't want before getting to your final destination - it's actually much simpler to reach over and just press the preset station on the radio unit itself!

Great forums - I look forward to furthering my knowledge!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Radio controls on steering wheel (Aust. Model)

Same in the US/Canada models. No known solution for this issue. I was wondering the same thing a while back, but it seems like there is no way to change that. I thought that some re-programming might be possible, but no luck so far.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 AM

I live in the US and my steering wheel controls go through my present radio stations. I bought my outlander Jan 31 07. I can check build date today.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Could you please check if it's not a coincidence? I mean if you have to consecutive stations on MEM1 and MEM2 therefore when you perform the SEEK function while on MEM1 station it jumps to the next one which it happens to be the station on MEM2. I secifically looked in the manual for information, but it only mentions the SEEK function.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 AM

Now lets be clear what radio unit we have here. I have the MMCS, US build, and the ^ and v buttons goes through the preset stations while on RADIO mode. Maybe the 6-CD radio (non-Nav) units are the ones doing the scan using the ^ v buttons?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. In response to rcpax - I have the Rockford Fosgate 6 stacker CD radio unit, no nav (this is the standard unit in the top-of-the-line Australian model!). And Dodo2, it's definitely not a coincidence - If I start at my first preset station, then press the UP function on the steering wheel, it just scans upwards in the band until it hits the next station, which is not my preset 2 station. Basically these buttons are useless as you have to keep looking over at the radio display anyway to see which station it's tuned in to - much easier to reach over and press the presets! So I assume this is by design?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM

Claytonm: Sorry, my reply was addressed to Antlip. I agree with you that it makes more sense for those buttons to move between the preset stations. This is how I would like it too and this is how it works in my other car. The only time when those buttons would be useful for me is when I travel outside of my area and I have to browse through the local radio stations.

Rcpax: Is there a menu option on the MMCS to change the operation mode for those buttons? If yes, this would give me a hope that it can be done on the other models via reprogramming at the dealership.

I have the Canadian LS 4WD w/Convenience Package (Jan-07 build) with the base radio, single-CD.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 AM

I don't think there is. I can't recall of a setting to allow it to jump to preset stations. On your next visit to the dealer just ask, they might be able to change it.

But what I wanted was: let it jump the presets on short single press, but I also want it to scan if I press and hold on the ^ an v buttons. Much like the CD player controls on my portable radio. Would have been cool if it worked that way.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Rcpax: I already asked the tech at the dealership, but he gave me the anticipated answer, without even blinking (trying): it cannot be done. There is much more knowledge on this forum than most of the dealerships can offer.

I'll look through the service manual to see if I can find any reference.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM

US model w/ MMCS (nav) and steering wheel up and down buttons on radio setting switches the presets. Does not scan. Must be a programming error for the 6-disc player.

Quick Reply: Radio controls on steering wheel (Aust. Model)