Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

REDNECK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Default REDNECK CAI

This was made from a CAI pipe I had for my 2002 trailblazer that I bought on Ebay and didn't fit, so I modified it and cut the air sensor and it's pipe on either side for the factory air box. I had to buy a cone filter and an adapter, but that was only $30. now the test will be if I messed up anything.
Next on my list is a Ralliart ground wire system with voltage regulator, should receive within the next few days. Will post new pics of that too for all the people who don't have serious mods and big bucks to sink into their cars. No offense Wicked.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6001/AC87C83843E740C0A2B838B3F956155C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6001/919E147E7ADA4CB6B21D5960F220274F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Default RE: REDNECK CAI

sorry, second pic is duplicate.....DUH[:@]

Old 02-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Props on the creativity, but you're probably hurting the performance of your car by having your intake like that. First of all, the purpose of an intake is to get rid of the restrictive factory accordion pipe and restrictive paper filter. You need to get rid of the black flex tube for maximum gains.

second, the way it is right now, you are probably losing power because your filter is so close to the exhaust manifold. This negates the purpose of the intake because now you are sucking in hot hot air.

Theres nothing wrong with a homemade intake, but try to position that filter behind the battery and get rid of the flex pipe. Also, reset the ecu so that it can relearn the air to fuel ratios.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:06 AM

and FYI, reset is done by removing the a terminal from the battery for 1 hour

Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM

I had worries about sucking hot air in from the manifold, but wasn't sure if stuffing it behind the battery was a good option either. I figured I could always cut the pipe after, but if I did it that way first I would need a new section if it wasn't optimum. After running the car for a short time- a 15 min test run, I realized that this was going to happen. On my agenda for today is either cutting the pipe or completely removing it( from filter to air sensor). The pipe tends to retain a portion of the heat from the engine bay also, so I will likely just have the filter right off the air sensor, which would provide optimum placement behind the battery. The computer was reset. Do we need to specifically wait one hour for the reset to occur and why?
I looked at the flex tubing, but didn't have anything to replace with at the time, so I am attempting that portion today as well.
Thanks for the honesty, I had concerns when I did the switch, now I know they are valid. Appreciate the input!

Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 PM

the time off the power tricks the computer (i think) so when it does get rebooted. it recalibrates the airsensor for your new intake

you may want to PM JMC or outlancer, I think they have modded CAIs

Old 02-03-2006, 09:36 PM

I'm still working on the transition at the flex pipe at the manifold. I need to find out what the feed into the intake tube right off of the top of the engine is, its the big black plastic thing. Forgive all my technical jargon...

Old 02-04-2006, 12:59 PM

i'll brb with some pics of my own homemade intake....gotta go find the digi cam.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:31 PM

here are some pics i just took. i know its not the mivec engine, but its practically the same setup.. I made this intake in about 2 hours in my shop. just make sure you brace the intake (like I did) somwhere so its sturdy and wont move around. Mass Air Flow sensors are sensitive to vibrations and can blow out if the element inside breaks.

lemme know what you think...

Old 02-04-2006, 11:43 PM

There is no heat shield on the exhaust manifolds from the factory, or do you have a header? I am grossly unfamiliar with fereign engines, this is my first time tinkering a little bit. looks aftermarket though by the gauge of the metal. In any case, I have that same ground wire set and am not sure where all the wires are SUPPOSED to go. I could find a place, but where did yours ground at?
Is the intake PVC pipe?

Quick Reply: REDNECK CAI