Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Remote start range

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Default Remote start range

Am I the only one with really lousy range on their remote start systems?
The remote start on my 2011 Outlander Sport is pretty pathetic.
It works fine from the front door or from one of the windows at the front of the house but that's about it.

It's really be nice if I could start it from farther away on the days when I work. This thingh won't even work from the edge of he parking lot

Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 AM

Err... is it a Mitsubishi brand remote starter? Where is the remote starter antenna mounted? Also, who installed it?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Err... is it a Mitsubishi brand remote starter? Where is the remote starter antenna mounted? Also, who installed it?
It's the factory installed Mitsubishi remote start.
There's a mesh on the windshield that looks like it might be an antenna

BTW I have the Outlander Sport.
The Sport supposedly uses a different type of remote start than the regular Outlander

Last edited by jadawin; 01-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 AM

The remote start antenna I believe is inside the drivers side A-pillar from the install guide I saw. I have an aftermarket remote starter (Viper 5301) and I can start my car from the far side of the inside of my college campus buildings and then walk ~1/4 mile to the back of the parking lot where I park.

You can probably move the antenna to the windshield for better reception, I'd start with that.

Here is a PDF of the installation guide that your technician should have followed or referenced. You can see where the antenna is located, and figure out a better location for it. I'd assume the top center of the windshield is best, but IDK how you would go about extending the cord.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Insta...LANDER_PG1.pdf

Last edited by Burtonrider10022; 01-26-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
The remote start antenna I believe is inside the drivers side A-pillar from the install guide I saw. I have an aftermarket remote starter (Viper 5301) and I can start my car from the far side of the inside of my college campus buildings and then walk ~1/4 mile to the back of the parking lot where I park.

You can probably move the antenna to the windshield for better reception, I'd start with that.

Here is a PDF of the installation guide that your technician should have followed or referenced. You can see where the antenna is located, and figure out a better location for it. I'd assume the top center of the windshield is best, but IDK how you would go about extending the cord.

http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Insta...LANDER_PG1.pdf
Thanks a lot!
I saw on another forum where some guy with a different vehicle spliced some speaker cable (!) into his antenna and increased his range to a few blocks.
Now that I know where Mitsubishi hides the antenna I know where to start.
If I can get at the antenna without triggering the airbag.

I wonder if it might not be simpler to install an after market remote start with better range?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220CA65...52.html?tp=149

Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 AM

Hmm....
It looks like the antenna cable is pretty thick. I'm not sure that'd want to try to splice anything into that.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 AM

I'm just going to say, an aftermarket system will be a much different install than the OEM and I'd recommend professional installation as you will also need a module to bypass the CANBUS system.

I had mine installed for $85, CANBUS was $60, and starter system was $75, for a grand total of about $220. It has great range, it's 2-way so I actually know whether or not the car actually turned on or not, and is much less cumbersome than the large Mitsu OEM remote. Not to mention HALF the price!

If you do go aftermarket, keep in mind that you can sell that OEM system on eBay for probably $400 or so...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM

If I can find something that cheap I will definitely go after market.

I really hate that Mitsubishi put the emote start and the keyless entry on different fibs.
It would be nice to have both functions on one remote.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM

CANBUS Module: $60
Amazon.com: Fortin EVO-CAN Can-Bus Immobilizer Bypass Key and Door Locks Module Kit with 2 Way Data Link Port: Electronics Amazon.com: Fortin EVO-CAN Can-Bus Immobilizer Bypass Key and Door Locks Module Kit with 2 Way Data Link Port: Electronics

Viper 3203 2-way remote starter with 2,000 foot range (that's well over a quarter of a mile) $110
Amazon.com: Viper 3203 2-Way Responder LE Security System [Electronics]: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Viper 3203 2-Way Responder LE Security System [Electronics]: Car Electronics

Then get it installed and sell the old OEM system and you'll damn near break even. Keep in mind this was about 5 minutes worth of searching so if you shop around you can probably beat these prices.