Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Replacing the horns on 2007 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Default Replacing the horns on 2007 Outlander

Replacing the horns on my 2007 Outlander wasn’t trivial so I thought I’d document the pitfalls here\ to save anyone else some time. The whole front plastic bumper “cover” of the car has to come off meaning 18 clips and 6 bolts have to be removed.

The upper grill comes off by removing the four black nylon clips at the top and then gently pull the grill upwards to release the bottom clips - they just pull out and push back in later.

Remove the four the four black nylon clips in the middle top, the bolt in the top middle of the lower grill, the five bolts underneath, the 8 clips underneath and the two clips in the wheel well. (The bottom wheel well clip doesn’t need to come out.)

This allows the whole front bumper cover to come off after releasing the white clip strips around the headlights.

Replacing the horns is now easy and you could do the fog lights at the same time if desired.

The black clips are NOT all the same. There are FOUR different types and sizes !!! Make a note of where you pull each clip from. Be gentle when removing them - they break easily and cost $1.50 or so each!

The four clips holding the top grill, the four clips holding the top of the bumper cover and the two clips (one each side) holding the bumper cover to the top of the wheel well are #MR200300.

The six clips underneath the bumper cover (a group of three each side) are #MR328954

The two clips underneath the bumper cover at the far ends are #MU488006

The two clips holding the bumper cover to the sides of the wheel well are different too, but I don’t know the part number as I didn’t break any of these!

In removing the bumper cover twice I broke 10 of the eighteen clips! (You might want to paint the horns flat black so they don’t show though the grill – then you won’t have to remove the grill for the second time to do it.)

Regards
Mike Palmer

Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 AM

How do you release the white clips around the headlights with out breaking them?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Okay, I found (missed) another black clip on the backside of the seam located behind the headlights where the front bumper meets with the fender. After removing this clip, I was easily able to remove the bumper cover. Thanks