Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Rockford Fosgate System & Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Default Rockford Fosgate System & Subwoofer

My Outtie does NOT come with the Rockford system (6-cd FM/AM/MP3), totally has 6 speakers, 2 next to side mirror, 2 front door, 2 back door.

If I could find the OEM Rockford Forsgate sub-woofer (does the 07, 08, 09 fit into/compatible my 10 quarter panel space?) IT HAS A PLUG WITH 4 WIRES OR 4-PINS-FEMALE at the back.

1) What kind of AMP and wire harness that I need to purchase?
What's the spec. that I need? (pictures?? or ebay link will be better to understand)
Does dealers sell only the AMP with wire harness?

2) If I could find both AMP and wire harness, what else do i need to make it work with my 10 outtie?

3) I don't see any screw holes on my Outtie, so do i need to drill holes for those screws on the base?

4) By the way, I notice that the Outties equipped with the Rockford system, their next-to-side mirror speakers are with the silver color, are these speakers different from the regular black ones? If I install these speakers to the Non-Rockford Outtie, do they work??

I'm a newbie, so bare with any of my questions.... thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by fiestataz; 07-13-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:56 PM

To add the Rockford Fosgate system to your Outlander can be a little tricky. The subwoofer itself isn't a normal subwoofer. I beleive it's a dual 1 Ohm voice coil sub and it's specifically designed to work with the premium upgrade amplifier that mounts under the passenger seat. Another thing that's going to cause some issues is that the factory source unit you currently have has a roll-off right around 60Hz and down. That's to keep the stock speakers from blowing. I see this in a lot of standard OEM systems. But the upgraded Rockford Fosgate Outie system has a DSP function that brings back the lower frequencies to get that boom.

From what I have been told the door speakers are all completely different on the RF premium upgraded system as well. So it's not just a change to the tweeter bezzel like you noticed.

I'm thinking that if you want a system similar to the OEM upgraded package, then you might want to consider aftermarket product.......To get the lower frequencies back, you might want to look at the Audio Control Epicenter. As far as amps go, consider the new Rockford Fosgate PBR300X1 for the woofer(s) and a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 for the high end. Both of these amps will tuck away nicely under either the driver or passenger seat. For the woofer, don't know if you'll be able to find the OEM 10" woofer enclosure, but if you do, then I'd suggest a shallow 10" woofer to drop in there. Otherwise, just go with a whole new enclosure made out of MDF with a couple 10's or 12's. It just won't look the same as the RF enclsoure mounted on the driver's side, but it will sound better.

Just my thoughts......

Old 07-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks a lot, 11se2hear, sounds like we are working on a similar project....

Wow, sounds to me if I don't do the upgrade from dealer is something like a mission 'impossible'....except I find some other way out with aftermarket just like your strategy. I really need to hold it now and do more research and listen to more of you fellow members hints....

Do you know what approx. for the ball part quote from your dealer for this upgrade? I mean, ppl might find the oem woofer or even along with the oem amp, but i don't think any one could find ALL the on board speakers to replace....so if they're not oem speakers, they ain't work?

ideally, I just like the oem system better before i ran out of options, but on the other hand, i'll keep my heads up to hear more solutions.....thanks again for your input, cheers

Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by fiestataz
Thanks a lot, 11se2hear, sounds like we are working on a similar project....

Wow, sounds to me if I don't do the upgrade from dealer is something like a mission 'impossible'....except I find some other way out with aftermarket just like your strategy. I really need to hold it now and do more research and listen to more of you fellow members hints....

Do you know what approx. for the ball part quote from your dealer for this upgrade? I mean, ppl might find the oem woofer or even along with the oem amp, but i don't think any one could find ALL the on board speakers to replace....so if they're not oem speakers, they ain't work?

ideally, I just like the oem system better before i ran out of options, but on the other hand, i'll keep my heads up to hear more solutions.....thanks again for your input, cheers
i asked the dealership about upgrading the system to the premium system from RF but they said that they dont do it, they get them that way.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

When I got my '11 back in April, I opted for the premium RF system, minus the navigation part. So I do have the full RF system, but with the 6-disc in-dash unit. I was told by multiple dealers here in town that pieces and parts for the system can be purchased separately. It would cost more for sure, but the parts can be ordered and installed at the dealer. The $1500 for the nav piece was way out of my price range but I may do it later....who knows.

In my experience with dealerships the techs aren't exactly thrilled about doing stereo work....and if the parts guy doesn't know where to look for the parts, they typically just give up and say they can't do it. Mitsubishi Electronics is very much in tune with the audio world and are a great partner for Rockford Fosgate. So at the Mitsubishi Motors level, I know the parts are indeed available for special order.

If you're looking to do a nice clean looking system, start with tracking down an "unloaded" Outlander woofer enclosure, then get yourself and nice shallow 10" woofer. The aftermarket amps and signal processor can all be hidden under the seats.

We're doing a little project '11 Outlander SE here at work that has the base OEM radio & speakers. This car is getting the Outlander woofer enclosure added to the back and we're trying to figure out the rest of the system, while keeping the costs down. As I get more info from that project, I'll post the findings.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
i asked the dealership about upgrading the system to the premium system from RF but they said that they dont do it, they get them that way.
Just hung up the phone with my local dealer here, the answer is the same as what Cheech stated. They can not do the upgrade....

Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by 11SE2HEAR
When I got my '11 back in April, I opted for the premium RF system, minus the navigation part. So I do have the full RF system, but with the 6-disc in-dash unit. I was told by multiple dealers here in town that pieces and parts for the system can be purchased separately. It would cost more for sure, but the parts can be ordered and installed at the dealer. The $1500 for the nav piece was way out of my price range but I may do it later....who knows.

In my experience with dealerships the techs aren't exactly thrilled about doing stereo work....and if the parts guy doesn't know where to look for the parts, they typically just give up and say they can't do it. Mitsubishi Electronics is very much in tune with the audio world and are a great partner for Rockford Fosgate. So at the Mitsubishi Motors level, I know the parts are indeed available for special order.

If you're looking to do a nice clean looking system, start with tracking down an "unloaded" Outlander woofer enclosure, then get yourself and nice shallow 10" woofer. The aftermarket amps and signal processor can all be hidden under the seats.

We're doing a little project '11 Outlander SE here at work that has the base OEM radio & speakers. This car is getting the Outlander woofer enclosure added to the back and we're trying to figure out the rest of the system, while keeping the costs down. As I get more info from that project, I'll post the findings.
You were lucky to do that, I should have bought the option at the beginning......called the local dealer, no such upgrade, and they can't do it, but they can surely find and sell you the sub-woofer and oem AMP, which is easily hit one and a half grant!!

Besides, wire harness is not for sell separately, and my car is not pre-wired for the system.....I may eventually end up as what you suggested or gave up the project

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Love to see and hear how the project works out! Pics if at all possible too!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:17 AM

@11se2hear

I managed to get the outlander subwoofer on eBay. I would love to see an update of your project. Looks like I may need to replace the subwoofer with an aftermarket one. What would you suggest? I'd like to keep the enclosure.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM

The stock sub is a modified version of the RF PunchZ line. If you cut the back out, you could easily stuff a bigger school.

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate System & Subwoofer