Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Scheduled Maintenance - How important is it really?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LadyPanther07
Thanks for the advice. A few additional questions...

Will I get a transmission freakout if I do the flush now that it's at 70k? I didn't do it at 60k when I should have and I don't know if it was ever done at 30k either since I didn't own the car then.

Timing belt is recommended to be replaced after 105k miles, but the Firestone people told me 105k OR 7 years, whichever came first. Is that true or is he just trying to get me to change the belt right now?

Firestone quoted me $475 for an oil change, tire rotation, coolant flush, tranny flush, brake fluid exchange, air filter, and cabin air filter. Reasonable price?
No, if your trans fails after it most likely it was screwed to begin with.

Change the timing belt at 100k, period.

You're paying them to do jobs that could be done in your driveway, their price is only reasonable if it's worth it to you. Personally I would laugh in their faces and do it myself.

Make sure the correct fluids are being used, and I can safely bet my gentlemens sausage that they don't have Dia Queen Automatic Transmission Fluid (Part # MZ313771) as required.

There is no reason to pay them almost $500 for fluids and parts that will cost you just over $100 in total, unless you have two broken hands.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by LadyPanther07
Thanks for the advice. A few additional questions...

Will I get a transmission freakout if I do the flush now that it's at 70k? I didn't do it at 60k when I should have and I don't know if it was ever done at 30k either since I didn't own the car then.

Timing belt is recommended to be replaced after 105k miles, but the Firestone people told me 105k OR 7 years, whichever came first. Is that true or is he just trying to get me to change the belt right now?

Firestone quoted me $475 for an oil change, tire rotation, coolant flush, tranny flush, brake fluid exchange, air filter, and cabin air filter. Reasonable price?
oil change - $30 or $20 and 45 minutes on a Saturday in your driveway.

tire rotation - $19.99 or $00.00 and ten minutes while you're waiting for the oil to finish draining on that Saturday morning. Now you also don't have some fool with an impact wrench going all NASCAR pitstop on your lugs and torquing off a few.

coolant flush - $75-$100 I'd be lying if I said I didn't pay for my 30k coolant flush.

tranny flush - Same as coolant flush.

brake fluid exchange - $20 for some nice brake fluid + $20 for a power bleeder (unless AutoZone rents them for free?) to save yourself a huge headache, and then 45-60 minutes.

air filter - $25 or less on amazon for OEM Bosch, or $35-$55 for performance aftermarket like K&N or Cosworth (My K&N literally paid for itself in MPG gains after only 6 weeks). If you pay someone to replace this, just sell your car. Seriously, it's a 3 minute job if you take a smoke break in the middle.

cabin air filter - $15 or less on amazon for OEM Bosch, or $5 for aftermarket. This is literally easier to replace than the engine air filter. If you pay someone to replace this, just light the car on fire and be done with it.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Banned

Even those prices are high. A giant bottle of synthetic DOT-3 brake fluid is less than $10, and coolant only costs $15 per gallon for the expensive stuff.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 AM
Arrow Service

Is this a good price?

Trans service labor will be $119.99 using your fluidsHello I have put together a list of the requested services that you have requested.

Customer Supplied Oil and Filter Package**************************************** $20.00
Tire Rotation****************************************** ***************************************** $ 9.99
Cabin Air Filter Replacement * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $15.00
Complete Coolant Exchange * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $57.02
Proline Full Strength Antifreeze * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $26.98 **********
16oz Radiator Flush ************************************************** ********************* $ 6.99
Replace Air Filter Labor********************************************* ********************** $ 9.99
Differential Oil Change******************************************** ************************* $44.99
Steering\Suspension Evaluation**************************************** *************** $19.99
Brake System Inspection**************************************** ************************ $Free
Waste Antifreeze Disposal****************************************** ******************** $ 1.60
Evap System Smoke Test********************************************** ***************** $29.99
Replace Automatic Tansaxle Fluid********************************************* ****** $42.00
Premium Maintenance Inspection**************************************** ************ $79.99
Remove and Replace Spark Plugs********************************************* **** $326.40
Shop Fee*********************************************** *************************************** $35.00
Pepguard Extended Labor Warranty****************************************** ****** $48.96

Total********************************************* *********************************************** $829.13

Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Is this a good price?

Trans service labor will be $119.99 using your fluidsHello I have put together a list of the requested services that you have requested.

Customer Supplied Oil and Filter Package**************************************** $20.00
Tire Rotation****************************************** ***************************************** $ 9.99
Cabin Air Filter Replacement * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $15.00
Complete Coolant Exchange * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $57.02
Proline Full Strength Antifreeze * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * $26.98 **********
16oz Radiator Flush ************************************************** ********************* $ 6.99
Replace Air Filter Labor********************************************* ********************** $ 9.99
Differential Oil Change******************************************** ************************* $44.99
Steering\Suspension Evaluation**************************************** *************** $19.99
Brake System Inspection**************************************** ************************ $Free
Waste Antifreeze Disposal****************************************** ******************** $ 1.60
Evap System Smoke Test********************************************** ***************** $29.99
Replace Automatic Tansaxle Fluid********************************************* ****** $42.00
Premium Maintenance Inspection**************************************** ************ $79.99
Remove and Replace Spark Plugs********************************************* **** $326.40
Shop Fee*********************************************** *************************************** $35.00
Pepguard Extended Labor Warranty****************************************** ****** $48.96

Total********************************************* *********************************************** $829.13
Honestly, I see a lot of fluff in there. An eyebrow raiser is the ProLine antifreeze. I would not let that into my vehicle. There are no specs on their site and there is better stuff out there. Off the top of my head is Zerex and Peak Global. If you can supply your oil, you should be able to supply your own coolant.
Proline Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant Full Strength | Product Details | Pep Boys

Rear diff charge is high. that is a straight drain & fill activity, with a bit of a trick to get the new fluid in. they didn't mention the transfer case...that fluid gets changed too, don't forget.

After doing the spark plugs myself, that one might be worth it. That was such a pain in the rear to do. Something about ripping the top half of the engine apart just to get the spark plugs kinda irritates me.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Please don't pay someone to replace your air filter... it's seriously really easy.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Even those prices are high. A giant bottle of synthetic DOT-3 brake fluid is less than $10, and coolant only costs $15 per gallon for the expensive stuff.
Yeah, I was guesstimating lol

Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

$326 to change spark plugs? You've got to be kidding me.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM

air inlet to the throttle body, upper plenum, a whole crapload of wires/hoses/brackets, strut bar all come off, then it all has to go back together. plugs were 12 a piece. Comes to about 250 in labor. 3-4 hours would be about what it took us to do it. It sure wasn't the same as my Eclipse's 1.8L and even my old chevy 350.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
air inlet to the throttle body, upper plenum, a whole crapload of wires/hoses/brackets, strut bar all come off, then it all has to go back together. plugs were 12 a piece. Comes to about 250 in labor. 3-4 hours would be about what it took us to do it. It sure wasn't the same as my Eclipse's 1.8L and even my old chevy 350.

Quick Reply: Scheduled Maintenance - How important is it really?