Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

shocking on exit (new member)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Default shocking on exit (new member)

Amazing....there's a forumn for everything.</P>

I have a terrible problem of everytime I exit my car, I get the crap shocked out of me. I know it might be my butt sliding across the seats creating static, but it seems like much more. It's a good "pop" each time. </P>

</P>

thanks</P>

Old 03-19-2004, 11:58 AM

Oh man, i thought i was the only one!!! Yeah, it begins to get annoying after like the first time. Sometimes I'll just hesitate before opening the door because i know what's coming. I have cloth seats in my car too, but i dunno. I think it may be the keys or something related to that.Like when you're taking them out of the ignition, it build up a small charge. But it's kinda of a big charge sometimes. I know one time at night i actually saw a flash....and my finger felt numb for a good minute. It only happens when i touch the body though.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by SpyderGS
Oh man, i thought i was the only one!!! Yeah, it begins to get annoying after like the first time. Sometimes I'll just hesitate before opening the door because i know what's coming. I have cloth seats in my car too, but i dunno. I think it may be the keys or something related to that.Like when you're taking them out of the ignition, it build up a small charge. But it's kinda of a big charge sometimes. I know one time at night i actually saw a flash....and my finger felt numb for a good minute. It only happens when i touch the body though.
</P>

</P>

me too what the hell is it, only in the outlander</P>

Old 04-26-2004, 11:11 AM

This is a common problem with most cars. The friciton between wheels and tarmac, and between car body and air particlescharges the car electrostatically, but since the steering wheel is not exactly conductive we remain at a different electric potential. When you touch an exposed metallic part you tend to equalize the potentials. I guess a solution would be to ground the rim of the steering wheel </P>

I remember that about 25 years ago most cars dragged either small strips of conductive rubber, or even chains behind them in order to keep themselves grounded.</P>

My wife sometimes gets shocked after riding in the Outlander (leather seats), but my old Opel Astra/Nissan Sentra/BMW 323iused to shock me more often.</P>

Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Default RE: shocking on exit (new member)

I've been getting these shocks a lot more for about 3 months now and the shocks are getting a lot stronger the last couple of days. I was thinking about getting those static strips which d1c0 mentioned. Anyone know of a solution or remedy?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Banned

Although i respect you for using the search button (if thats what you did) but we have an unofficial rule that you shouldnt post in topics older than a couple months.

There is no way you can avoid the static. Unless you change the interior to leather or something

Old 04-04-2007, 01:40 AM

HOLY ****!! This thrend was almost 4 years old.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/8364688D3D7D4E338917F052233B2F94.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Try using some anti static spray?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

I wouldnt bother. I dont see how that is going to change anything. Its because of the interior that its generating static

Old 04-04-2007, 03:31 PM

lol, wow... this threads older than most of our cars, lololol.

Quick Reply: shocking on exit (new member)