Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Shopping: 2007 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Sal
Default RE: Shopping: 2007 Outlander

Yeah okay.. please take your outlander for dakar rallying and let us know how it goes...

Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Hi Threadjacker, Yes you, I called you a threadjacker.

While all this race talk is very exciting, I'm not sure it is going to help me decide on a vehicle to purchase.

Are there any other thoughts on the Outlander to help in my car search?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:40 PM

Mitsubishi- Rally King, Dakar King
Subaru- Rally King #2
Toyota-Not good at racing what so ever
HAHAAH

Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM

lol... next time I have the whole family together, Ill gladly drive to dakar, and go for a spin,

As for being a threadjacker... sorry dude...
look, just go drive both, and pick that way.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM

I'm not a "dude"

I was just trying to get some opinions from actual drivers before I drive an hour to drive it. Sorry for bothering this group.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

aight,
Sorry babe, the very best advice you are ever going to get is to go drive them both yourself. Not that I understand what you are doing, I just want you to make the best decision for YOU. What me, or anyone else thinks about the truck is irrelevant to you. I bought mine for reasons that were my own, and so did everyone else here. You should do the same. Me, or anyone else here can gladly tell you our opinion of the truck, but in the end, its your money, and you are the one that has to live with your choice.

Not to **** you off, or make you go away, as I am sure you have already figured out, car guys are just like regular guys, and we can easily get into a pissing match over nothing. Probably happens more with us than any other "group" Please do bug out, or go away, the more the marrier.

I wasnt trying to be negative, what I was trying to point out was one of the finer things about these trucks, and Mitsubishi in general. And that point is, that while they are not the massive giant big-brother corperation that is Toyota, they are enthusiast, and believe in the products, the take off the shelf stuff, add in a dash of racing technology, and send it out to the hell that is racing. That means alot more than you know.
I sincerly hope you make the best choice for you, and I look forward to seeing you around here in the future!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Sal

You can get more info at edmunds
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...odel=Outlander

Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 AM

I'm new to this site too, but not to the Outlander. I'm shopping for a small compact SUV and I already decided to go with 2007 Outlander LS 4WD w/Convenience Package - this is the Canadianequivalent for the plain LS4WD US version.
Before I saw a picture of the new Outlander back in Augustlast year, I was thinking Toyota RAV4 SportV6 4WD.
My main criteria, and theses could be different from yours, were: compact SUV with decent cargo space,V6 with over 200 hp and 200 lb.ft of torque, 4WD, decent gas mileage,good handling and acceleration (around 8.5sec. 0-60mph as a reference), good braking and safety,good feature set, good exterior/interior design, decent price, decent quality. I could go into more details, but I will stop here for now.
Before Outlander came into play, the RAV4, Suzuki GV and Santa Fe 3.3GL (I guess SE equivalent in US specs)were thecandidates.
I ruled out Santa Fe ā€“ heavy, and you feel it when accelerating, not sporty look and feel or when driving, not so good gas mileage - know from a friend who owns one, did not like the design in/out - just bland, "me tooā€¯ like,and ultimately not crazy about Hyundai in general. So it did not pass.
I ruled out Suzuki GV for theV6 on the smaller/weaker side, smaller size, not so good gas mileage for the engine size, barn rear door.Except for the barn door, Ikind of like the exteriorand the interior to a certain extent, but again, not impressed.
RAV4 4WD V6 Sport looked like the winner at the time. I liked the powerful engine even though I thought it is too powerful for this car (funny eh...?), good gas mileage, good cargo andinterior room. I did not like the barn door, the feature set wasn't quite complete, but oh well...you cannot have it all. The exterior design was inoffensive and I could leave with it, the interior was plain bland Toyota, but again, I could ultimately leave with it. The price was steep because in order to get some of the mandatory features I had to go with a higher trim (Sport) which in Canada sells for $33,590CADMSRP. RAV4 was kind of the only choice.
And then the Outlander came into play. It had everything I wanted for about $29,000 CAD MSRP. I extensively researched this vehicle and I could not find any deal breaker.One concern I had was the reliability, but then my research showed that the Mitsu owners were happy with their cars and reliability wasn't an issue in general.One negative withthe Mitsu brand islow resale value. However, I plan to keep this SUV for at least 5 years and after I did the math- factored in thedifference in purchase price compared to RAV4 and the estimated resale value after 5 years for each,this wasn't an issue anymore. Also, thesignificantly lower purchaseprice would allow me to buy it cash and save the financing charges I would have to pay if I would by the RAV4.Plus, and this is a big PLUS for me, I get to drive the car I like.
On the negative side,after analyzing the Outlander in details, I found somebuild quality issues, but I can definitely leave withthemgiven all thegood thingsit offers. Just to mention few pros:good V6 power,selectable 4WD, on/off ASC, 6-speed with manual mode, interior/exterior design, cargo space, complete feature set.
I didn't even consider the CRV due toI4 and high price - CRV EX 4WD in Canada is $32,600 CAD MSRP.Also I didn'tconsider the Escape for obvious reasons - old everything and on top a Ford.

Sorry for the long story, but I think this is kind of whattheoriginal post was about.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:12 AM

I forgot to mention that the CRV is plain ugly in my eyes, in and out. Inside it has a minivan look -I hate the dash mounted shifter and the foot parking brake, the arm rest isa joke, no center console, just to mention few things.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Sal
What consumers want is comfort and race inspired suspensions dont work for average joe. At the same time, reliability and utility are at the top of the list as well.

I dont put too much stock on which company does what in racing whatever the type of racing it may be. Thats pointless to me.
Well, you may not know it or you might not be interested, but that has always been Mitsu's philosophy, and that's why I chose the Outlander over RAV-4 or CR-V. Mitsu's reliability and superb handling of the Outlander are a product of those racing effort. Consumers might not know or are not interested in the motorsport activity of the brand, but as Mitsu customers, we are all beneficiaries of that.

Quick Reply: Shopping: 2007 Outlander