Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Shopping For An Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Default Shopping For An Outlander

My Elantra got totaled over the weekend after I was rear-ended. I知 looking to buy Outlander as a replacement, but I知 confused about Outlander (Japan made) vs Outlander Sport (US made). Is there really a difference between the two in terms of quality? I was given a used 2016 (18Kmi) Sport AWD for $17K and a $26K 2018 Outlander SEL 4WD to compare.

Looking for your guidance here. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM

The Jap imports here in NZ are the Outlander is the bigger version, and the Outlander RVR is the equivalent of the USA Outlander sport. In NZ the RVR or Outlander Sport has a smaller motor and smaller boot space.

The imported Outlander in comparison to the NZ Outlander is not a lot of difference, the import has a mirror on the passenger front guard and the import does not have an electric seat.

I have both the Outlander (dark blue in pic) and my wife has the Jap imported RVR (Outlander sport in USA and ASX in Nz and Australia)

What I have notice with the RVR is it doesn't have as much legroom as the Outlander. The motor for the import RVR is 1.8l wheras the Nz ASX (RVR equivalent has a 2.0l motor.)

The RVR uses the same chassis as the Outlander from what I understand but the boot does not hang over as much on this RVR hence the smaller boot area.

My Outlander can be a 7 seater if I put the 3rd row up whereas the RVR is 5 seater.

The RVR is amazing on fuel in comparison to the Outlander but does suffer some power loss in comparison.

Overall I like both cars but do slightly prefer the Outlander more as it has more legroom for me.

Attached Thumbnails Shopping For An Outlander-img_20160917_141558.jpg  
Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Quality difference? Probably, if they are made in different factories in different countries. I wasn't aware of that fact. Regardless, modern cars are made with pretty tight tolerances these days and there's not the huge night and day difference in quality there was in our dads' cars. I'm not too concerned about the quality because the warranty in Mitsubishi's is industry leading and these are relatively tried and true models. First year, highly groundbreaking cars usually have design issues in the first couple of years. These Outlanders are not those cars. We've had our Outlander for a couple of years, and there hasn't been a single issue, just regular maintenance. Yes, a small sample size, but the reasons I listed are good rules of thumb.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 AM

The larger Outlander AWD, gets 1pmg more than the smaller OS (sport) I'm a huge hatter of the OS with a 2.0, but live the 2.4 models. both my wife and I have Big O's (Outlander) a 14 and a 16., and our girl just got a 2.4 OS, (sport) SEL, FWD. (picked it up today)
I like the room and space the Big "O" has and the fact that the 2.4 with a couple mods is quicker and more efficient than the V6 GT model. I run the RRM crank pulley and timing controller, and my 16 with the 2.4 is pretty dang quick compared to the V6.
You can't go wrong with either IMO. You just need to decide which you like better. They've got a great warranty and they will last every bit of it with ease.
For what it's worth, my girls 17 sport, is the 4th Mitsubishi Outlander we've bought new since 2013. (we had a 13 OS with the 2.0 and that was NOT going to cut it in a gear head family. lol)

Old 02-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Thank you. These replies kept my buying confidence at high!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:58 AM

You get a lot of bang for your buck with the Big Outlander

Old 02-24-2018, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
You get a lot of bang for your buck with the Big Outlander
Yeah, I decided to get the full size, because the price is almost the same. Got the Black 2018 LE 2.4 SAWC version and for the price I paid, I知 very happy!

Old 02-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Sweet!
Get the RRM pulley. Super easy to remove and install. I did an install in my build that shows just how simple it is. Even if you bought the tools new from Harbor Freight, (Jack, electric impact, socket and wrench) you'd still save money than from having a shop do it. (unless they are just going to charge by the hour, which is re-dick-u-lessssss since it's only a 1/2hr at best job if you've never done it before)
Nice choice either way. we've got a 14 & 16 Big O, and the girl just got a 17 OS FWD 2.4 SEL trim model. price / value / warranty on the Mits is really good and we've been very happy with ours.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 PM

I am looking for a good SUV for my family and the choice is really hard with all current brands in the market; I have an RVR and I want to change to an outlander; but i have seen a lot of bad comments (honda crv and mazda owners) about the Outlander and i am a little disappointed. but i want to have your comments youuuu the outlander owners please advice; i have to spend more than 25k and i want to know if it worth buy an Outlander. to be honest my during my 5 years owning the RVR i haven't had any major problem whith it ....i had just to change the Oil hhh. thank you

Old 08-06-2018, 08:30 PM

We have had our Outlander 2.4L AWD for 3 years (65k miles/105k kilometers?). It has been very reliable and great on gas. We average 27-28 mpg mixed driving. So far it has only been regular maintenance which I do myself. The CVT was skipping a bit when it was really hot here but that is my fault for not changing the fluid at 30k miles. I did it myself last week and it corrected the problem. The Japanese build quality is excellent as to be expected. In the winter I am constantly impressed with Mitsu's all wheel drive system. I have owned Subaru's and and an Audi (Quattro/haldex) and this vehicle is impressive in the snow with proper snow tires. The chassis does feel fragile in some off-road situations but it's really not made for that anyway. It's a fine road "car" and good on groomed dirt roads. My only regret is we should have bought the 2016 for its improved CVT performance and NVH. I do confess, I am a Honda guy but I also think this vehicle is underrated and get unnecessarily harsh reviews from the motoring press as does Mitsu in North America in general. I also have a 2006 Montero that is at 125k miles and going strong. I still think they are fine cars with exception of the Mirage and I think the Eclipse Cross is a great offering and a sign that Mitsu can still make a come back.

Quick Reply: Shopping For An Outlander