Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Some Help on Tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Default Some Help on Tires!!!

Hey everyone. My Goodyear Eagle OEM tires are shot! I need new ones! I've been sliding in snow for the last 2 weeks...

But I want to stay with All Season because I dont drive the Outie much, only weekends. So something thats All Season but have good snow grip too.
I live in Toronto, Canada, and I have been to many tire stores, and they only have the OEM tires, or the Michelin Primacy, both are like 250 each.

What else do you guys recommended. What types do you have? How are they performing.
Im interested in the Cooper CS4 Toruing, any of you have it, and how is it??
Also, anyone have the Yokohama AVID TRZ??

I read all reviews about these tires, now I only need you guys' opinion!!!

Thanks, all replies are welcome!!!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Default RE: Some Help on Tires!!!

Opinion:
Get Winter Tires. You live in Canada. It doesn't cost you more in the long run. The right tire for the right season. You said your Good Years are already worn. Mine aren't as they come off for the winter. You wear your tires half as much by swapping summers and winters.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 PM

There is no such thing as an "all -season " tire. All seasons have zero ability once the temp drops below -2, and are usless in the snow. "all-seasons tire" basically means a summer tire with some rain traction.

Get snow tires please,I live in toronto and drive twice a week, but I have em. AWD is uselss as well on ice or snow if you don't have snow tires. AWD doesn't stop you from sliding or skidding.

Get snow tires then get your "all season " tires for summer, better off getting performance summers though in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM

I would have to dissagree... All Season onesare not going to have the performance in the snow as Snow Tires, and are not going to have the performance on dry pavement as Summer Tires. But they are going to provide a good mix of being able to handle both.

The stock Goodyears I know are not the best. But they have served me well in Colorado. One day it is 10 deg with snow/ice the next is 60 deg with dry roads. So All Season's are perfect especially for me. It all depends on your road conditions where you live. People inPhenoix should have different tires then people in Toronto...

But if you live up north where the snow is around ALL winter. Then a good set of Snow Tires would be the best recomendation unless you dont want to spend the money for a seperate set. So if you want to stick with All Season'sI dont personally know of a good replacement for I havent had the need to replace yet. I think there has been some talk on here of some, but I dont know. I think the tire warranty is 30,000 miles though. I'd have to look at my paper work.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

I would have to dissagree... All Season onesare not going to have the performance in the snow as Snow Tires, and are not going to have the performance on dry pavement as Summer Tires. But they are going to provide a good mix of being able to handle both.
Question, does it get to 23 degrees ever in colorado. Because if it does, thats the point at which all season tires freeze. The compounds in All seasons can't handle the tempurature, so when the temp gets to -5 here, 23 in the US, all seasons are basically driving on frozen rubber, theres absolutley no contact or flexibility....thast why there are snow tires. Made up of entireley diferent compunds so they dont freeze.

Just to let you know tdford, Snow tires are now mandatory in the province of Quebec. They will be here in the next year or so.

All season tires are uselss past a certain temp, its just like running summer tires in a blizzard...

Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM

ShortyRider, I looked at DiscountTires.com and this is what it came up with for replacing the All Season tires... http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/sea...=18&cs=225

- Pirelli P6 Four Seasons, 50,000 mi warranty, $134 ea.
- Yokohama YK520, 60,000 mi warranty, $136 ea.
- Michelin HydroEdge, 90,000 mi warranty, $152 ea. (lower speed rating)
I like the Yokohama the best out of those three.

TireRack.com had the Michelin Primacy MX4V, $179 ea. as a best seller for our size.

ryandlor, I said it depends on the road conditions where you live.... and yes it gets below 23 deg here in Colorado (was -10 deg last week) and I had NO problems. Yes Winter tires have a softer compound that allows them to be more flexible for traction at lower temperatures. But I have never seen any data indicating that All Season tires freeze at your claimed 23 degrees making them "worthless"...

I found this: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htmso if you are contemplating what tire you should get this winter this can help.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 PM

Hey Shorty, since you live in Canada. Try tiretrends.com they have pretty good prices and a lot of selections. I got some wheel packages from them and they are very helpful. Shipping shouldn't be that much much just for tires. Tiretrends.com is from Vancouver.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 AM

You can try new "all-weather" tires from Nokian. Although they are categorized as winter tire, Nokian WR2 SUV has nice performance through all seasons.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM

or you may consider all-terrain tires. then you can use them in the summer too.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM
tcp

All terrain tires are generally quite noisy on the highway, have poor summer grip and harden just like all-season tires at sub-zero temps. Unless you spend significant time "off-road", they are quite a trade off from regular street tires.

Nokian WRs area goodbet:

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...=Nokian+WR+SUV

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...n%20WRG2%20SUV

Treadwear guaranteed for summer use with a full winter tire approval in the winter.

Quick Reply: Some Help on Tires!!!