Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Sound Proofing a 2007 Outlander XLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Default Sound Proofing a 2007 Outlander XLS

Hello:

I am trying to figure out how much material I need to buy to do it. I am pretty sure I need to do the door panels and the trunk area floor. But is there any sound deadening material already on the main cabin floor? If someone has done it, could you please share what you saw?

Thank you.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Don't know how much you need, but there is a product called "Q-Pads", made by Fiberglass-Evercoat. 12x12 adhesive backed heavy material.

Should do the trick.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 PM

I'd be interested in results. Road noise has been one of the annoying things with Outlander

Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I've had great results with the CLD tiles from Sounddeadenershowdown.com I used them in my car (which was MUCH louder than the Outlander) and it really helped with it a lot. I only used half of the 2 boxes I bought on my Vue left the other box for the Outlander, just haven't gotten around to doing it. I'd email Don there and talk to him about it, he's really good and won't sell you more than you need.

Don't waste your time with the Dynamat style stuff where you cover the whole car. The "full coverage" style is a gimmick car audio shops use to make more money. I know this because I did it for ~5 years. A good strong tile like the ones from SDS and 25% coverage or wherever there's noticeable flex/rattle will do as well as or better than full coverage with a dynamat style product.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of tires. Good/quiet tires can make as much of a difference as loads of sound deadening.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 PM

I found out about SDS while googling around and emailed Don twice, but no reply. So I am a bit surprised. I liked his write up and thought I had found the right place too. Maybe he is too busy to tell me what I need to buy and guide me. On his website, there are a few things, CLD tiles, Butyl rope, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl barrier. I would like to know what I need to do the doors and the trunk floor area which I think will be the most effective. After reading through the website, I am not clear on what I need for where, what goes on top of what, etc..

I agree with the tires. Some are definitely louder. I just bought the car this fall and it came with a fresh set of summer Dunlops and an older set of winter Toyos. I am stuck with Dunlops for a while but probably be able to change the winter ones in one or 2 winters.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Last year I had to remove the 2nd row seats and found that under the carpet is a few inches of styrofoam. Under the seats and back area I think it is only about an inch or so.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 PM

I read the SSD site again and have a better understanding. Maybe he is not replying because I did not order yet. I’ll try again by placing an order. It seems I’ll need to stick on CLD tiles on doors and cover them with closed cell foam and MLVs.

FAUEE, is that how you did it? Did you see enough room in the door panels for ¼” thick cell foam or should I get a 1/8” thick one?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 AM

I got through to Don at SDS after emailing from another account which is not gmail. Not sure if it was the reason. I have ordered the stuff. I will report back when I get it done, but it will be a while. Now the next challenge is to get the thing onto the panels next spring when the weather is warm enough .

In the mean time, how do I remove the panels?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM

I have that one too. It does not work too well for me. The thing always complains about not having the internet explorer 5 or 6. Maybe I am too slow with computers. I'll try to pull only the useful pdf files from the mess.

Quick Reply: Sound Proofing a 2007 Outlander XLS