Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Soundproofing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Default Soundproofing

This stems from the Bluetooth thread, and I didn't want to hijack his thread.

Has anyone made the interior cabin any quieter by using some special material for soundproofing? Is it possible? If so, what would I use and is there a ballpark figure we could be looking at? What areas would benefit from it the most?

I know soundproofing was probably passed on by Mitsu for cost reasons and trying to keep the prices low, but if a solution could be found that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Default RE: Soundproofing

ORIGINAL: abrcrombe

This stems from the Bluetooth thread, and I didn't want to hijack his thread.

Has anyone made the interior cabin any quieter by using some special material for soundproofing? Is it possible? If so, what would I use and is there a ballpark figure we could be looking at? What areas would benefit from it the most?

I know soundproofing was probably passed on by Mitsu for cost reasons and trying to keep the prices low, but if a solution could be found that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.
sounddeadening is a must for car audio enthusiasts, basically to minimize outside noise and hear more of the music
your purpose is basically the same, and there are a lot of sound deadeners out there
for the deadening mats, for a bulk pack of approx 36 sqft itll cost anywhere from $120-150...thats more than enough for all 4 doors
which will provide you a significantly quieter cabin
other than the doors, ive known serious enthusiasts who resorted to laying deadening mats to the entire flooring, the engine firewall
and even the ceiling, but i wouldnt recommendthis
its pretty straight forward to lay on, all you need is a nice sunny day, a cutter,a heat gun, the mat and a rubber roller
there are a lot of brands you can look into but theyre all basically the same...theres dynamat, cascade, raamat, edeadening, etc, etc

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 PM

I understand the sound deadening for audio acoustics and in fact I will probably equip my outlander with SD material sometime soon. However, I am a little surprised at the comments that the cabin interior is noisy. I find the Outlander quite good in that regard.

Could you elaborate?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM

I just read I think it was car and driver magazine where they did testing on the outlander and some other smal suvs. The decibal rating on the outlander was the best out of them all. I have never drove an escape, rav4, crv, the new gmc or ther other ones but I would hate to hear how loud they are. But if your unhappy with the outlander my best suggestion is to buy some dynomat. Your going to have to pull all the plastics off and put it in then put all the plastics back on hopeing nothing breaks while wasting hours of time.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:41 PM

The Car and Driver had the 2008 Outlander SE (2.4L). I wondered if Mitsu made any untold improvements on the sound deadening for the 08 models as some people complained about the cabin noise on the 07 models. I for one consider the Outlander’s cabin noise acceptable so I wouldn't bother spending the time and money on this.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I just read I think it was car and driver magazine where they did testing on the outlander and some other smal suvs. The decibal rating on the outlander was the best out of them all.
antlip,
its very interesting to me.
Can you give me a link to this test ?
Thanks a lot.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:43 PM

I read it at my gfs house in I want to say Car and Driver. Next time I go over there I will go through the past couple months and check. I know the newest one out has the new corvette and it wasnt in that one.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:23 PM

It was the newest Car and Driver, cover was with the new Corvette ZR1. Article was "Mud Puppies Comparison and More".

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...v4.html?al=186

I wish they could of done the 3.0L V6 outtie for the test, but they were wanting a "cheaper" model that had about the same power and price as the rest of the field. It did had some of the best "road handling" scores. They didnt like the manumatic (sportshifters) with a CVT (no gears). Still finished 4th out of 9...

Old 01-26-2008, 01:18 AM

tdford, thank youfor the link.

antlip, I was translated this articlefor our guys there but found nothing about good soundproofing [sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 AM

It doesnt tell you about sound proofing or how to. It just has the specs on the sound levels. You have to go to the bottom of each page to where it says "download the test sheet" to find out the complete specs on each vehicle. In the real magazine they have full charts that list each vehicle and the outlander had the best sound level results. This is for the 4cyl ls coming out in 2008 though. I didnt realize they were making a 4cyl model until I went onto mitsubishi's website. I just figured it was a typo. But it goes to show that the outlander is quiter than other suvs in its class.

Quick Reply: Soundproofing