Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Speed Control wire for DVD/Navi

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Default Speed Control wire for DVD/Navi

Hey all. I was just wondering if anyone knew which wire was the speed control for the DVD player and if it was separate from the Navi. I often thought it stupid that the passenger (or the driver if you're ballsy) can't watch a DVD while the car was in motion. I realize it's against the law and why, but still dumb that the passenger can't enjoy it. Essentially, I'd like to wire it to a switch if it's the same wire for both Navi and DVD, but if not then I'll just disconect it.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:32 PM
JMC
Default RE: Speed Control wire for DVD/Navi

I had mine re-wired to play DVD's...I have no idea which wires they used but they did mention something about grounding to the parking brake.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 PM

Can't do it if you have the Navi without disconnecting the GPS antennae as well.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: JMC

I had mine re-wired to play DVD's...I have no idea which wires they used but they did mention something about grounding to the parking brake.
You had what rewired to play DVD's?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 PM

To wire the DVD player to play when your driving it has to do something with grounding it out to the parking brake.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:57 PM

This is why I said I would wire a switch to control it....

Old 04-08-2007, 12:06 AM

No, what you need to do is find the wire that sees ground only when the parking brake is enabled.
Just like any other system on the market, The screen wont play DVD's as long as there is no ground coming from someting.

The best way to go about this whole scenario, is to pull the center console, find the E-brake switch, Find the wire that makes the DVD player work, Clip that wire, and extend it to a chassis ground. It will see ground at all times, and therefor will always work.

You could alternately, use a OHM tester, and go wire to wire in the nav unit harness until you find the right wire (best method would be to set your DVD player to play, drop the E-brake, slide the probe into the end of the harness at the first wire... pull the e-brake and see if the voltage drops. If it does, you have found the right wire. If on the other hand, it doesnt register any voltage drop, then move on to the next wire, and repeat steps above... You will eventually find it.)
Once you have found the right wire, you need to clip it, and extend it, and a solid chassis mount behind the NAV system...
then your good to go.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:10 AM

Basically what you are looking for is a wire that only registers a reading on your tester when the parking brake is in either the up, or down position.
I am not sure whether the parking system on MITSU's are a constant ground, or whether they are a switched ground system.
Either way, it doesnt matter. The Nav system is looking for a ground in order to give the go-ahead to the DVD system to start playing.

Again, you have to locate the wire, using one of the methods above, and ground that wire to something that will always show a ground... which would be your chassis ground.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:26 AM

Soundcolor - you are right in your comments with respect 99.99% of the nav systems out there - unfortunately Mits's MMCS is the 0.01% that is different. It plays DVD's whether the e-brake is on or not. The DVD will play until the vehicle is travelling 6 km/hr and then will stop displaying (sound still works though). Similarily once you slow down to less than 4 km/hr it will begin displaying again. The MMCS monitors speed based on one of two inputs - one is the speed sensor wire which is Terminal 13 on connector C-10; the second is via the GPS input. If you disconnect the speed sensor wire, the system will rely on the GPS signal to determine speed. Hence my original comment that you need to disconnect both in order to fool the system.

YMMV - at least this is true for Canadian XLS Outies

Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 AM

well than, all you need to do is find that wire...
****, I hate being wrong... I feel like such an ***...
damnit....

well, if anyone needs me, I'll be in the back killing myself...

thanks...
great...
damn

Quick Reply: Speed Control wire for DVD/Navi