Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Splash shield TSB TSB-09-42A-012

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Default Splash shield TSB TSB-09-42A-012

Took my Outlander to the dealer to replace transmission fluid and mentioned the cracked splash shield and the TSB.

I asked for the splash shield to be replaced under warranty.

I was greatly surprised that they would Not warranty this job. They told me that a TSB was not a recall and merely provides replacement instructions, but does not invoke warranty.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM

that sucks man. if you have a pop rivet gun, get some soft aluminum rivets and some other kind of plastic material (think trash can plastic) and you can patch it up and all you see is the rivets. sucks man.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
Took my Outlander to the dealer to replace transmission fluid and mentioned the cracked splash shield and the TSB.

I asked for the splash shield to be replaced under warranty.

I was greatly surprised that they would Not warranty this job. They told me that a TSB was not a recall and merely provides replacement instructions, but does not invoke warranty.
Hmmmm, as far as I understand a TSB is almost like a recall, basically if its clearly visible that your car has the same problem as specified in a TSB, dealership has to replace it free of charge. Anyway, if you have time I would call up Mitsubishi Corporate and ask them about it. Obviously there is some kind of a problem if they have released a TSB for it, obviously something is happening to certain cars that shouldn't be happening. I have examined the splash shield in my 2009 Outlander and so far it is crack free but when you touch it is seems very flimsy. Best bet is, compare a splash shield of a 2007-2009 Outlander to 2010-UP Outlanders and you will see that 2010-UP have a new/reinforced (harder) design of it so obviously something was wrong if they introduced a new version of it. Anyway, I like Mitsubishi cars but for the most part service department experience plain simply sucks around here.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM

If your car is still within warranty they SHOULD replace it as they did with mine.

I posted a thread with this exact TSB number a while back. The dealer actually replaced both driver and passenger side shields with the reinforced versions.

I called mitsu corporate first and mentioned my problem...they then gave me a case number and told me to tell the dealer I went to that I have reported this issue with mmc corporate and to call them if the dealer had an issue with this recall.

What the dealer did was take pictures of my cracked shield and said they would update me in about a week which they did and notified me they had the new shields ready and to just come in so they can install the new ones.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM

I actually like the service department at this dealership. Sucks that they refused to warranty this item.

I got a follow-up email from the dealerhsip owner asking if everything went well with the service (transmission fluid change). I replied yes, but added that I was disappointed about the splash shield not covered by warranty.

BTW the estimate for splash shield replacement is $230.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM

They are called fender liners...you could ask how much the part is outright.
http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/pa...layCatalogid=2

they are held on by 4 clips...not too much work.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM

I bought a replacement shield before bringing it to the dealer for a warranty as it developed a crack after about a year and a half.

I ordered it from a dealer in arizona and cost about $80.

After it cracked again I then called mitsu corporate and had it done.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 PM

$80 is not going to break the bank, but IMO why should I pay for anything that breaks on the car while it is under warranty?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 PM

You're right. You shouldn't have to pay for anything that's covered under warranty. Especially if it's defective.

Unfortunately, I didn't know this was a warranty issue when I bought the replacement. I only realized this after it cracked a second time. Mind you, the replacement I bought was not the riveted one.

I made a big stink of it after it cracked again and I saw the newer model outlanders with the riveted reinforcements.

I pointed this out to mitsu corporate and the service manager at the dealer. I walked him to the outies on the lot and showed him the new ones with the reinforced shields.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM

tsb is just a recommended repair process like was stated in a previous post. It states that if your vehicle has an issue like the ones listed in the tsb, these are the actions to remedy the problem. Having an open tsb is NOT a recall. It does not entitle you to free parts unless there is a problem with your parts and you are still under you warranty period.

Your service department has no control over what they can and cant warranty for you. Mitsubishi makes the rules and we have to abide by them. Please dont take it out on your advisor or servicing dealer.

Quick Reply: Splash shield TSB TSB-09-42A-012