Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Sportronic Mode not very sporty

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:25 PM
Default Sportronic Mode not very sporty

I got a used 03 Outlander back in October and have been having the time of my life with. Recently however, the little light on the dash next to the "D" for drive went out. I put it down to a bulb and said never mind since I could tell when it was in drive and I knew it would be expensive to have it replaced. BUT.......

Yesterday I went to shift into Sports Mode and low and behold it didn't work. Auto trans no problem, Sportronic not so much. I called my dealer and asked them to see if it was covered under my extended warranty (3rd party) They called the warranty company and SHOCKER they said it wasn't. Apparently a switch in the dash that comtrols this has gone bad and for about $400 I can have it fixed.

I really like my Outlander but was wondering if anyone else has heard of this issue. I hate to shell out the money

IDEAS!?!?!?!?!

Old 05-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Sportronic Mode not very sporty

how many mile on the car, call the mitsubishi headquarters and talk to them directly. this shouldnt be happening so soon unless u have like a million miles or something

Old 05-28-2005, 04:21 PM
pc

Mattdd,
I would read the fine print if your warranty agreement. Maybe you could get your State's attorney general involved? Sometimes I find stirring the bushes a little makes people more sympathetic. I tend to think of extended warranty companies as sneaky at best, crooks at worst. Their only stake in the deal is the money you paid for the warranty, so I have never heard of a good story on extended warranties. I would not tend to expect much from Mitsubishi given their financial problems. They're probably very strict on warranty now. Why is it so expensive, do they need to drop the trans?

Old 05-30-2005, 06:08 PM

3rd party extended warranty? Even manufacturer's EW are dodgy. You can try to convince them the switch is part of the drivetrain since it controls/enables the drivetrain.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 PM
JMC

That's a good idea Crunch........! I think that'll work.
Sorry about the problems dood...

Old 06-06-2005, 05:56 AM

yep' here comes hardship's w/ the dealers!![:@]

Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 PM
JMC

I think Mitsu should be doing everything they can to help us out........they have so many problem with the company as it is.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:40 PM

somethin to do w/ their new vehicle mod's (evo's, new 6' eclipses and the raider truck) bet ja' if you have one of this new vehicles, they'll be right up front to help you. well...just a thought bros.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 PM

Joy in Mitsu land

I went and whined (hey what ever it takes) to the service manager and the local dealer. It seems that this happened to an employess Outlander as well. The wire that connects the gear lever to the switch is too short and and can break. Instead of replacing the switch a longer wire is needed. So.......they said that for the cost of my warranty deductible ($50) they would fix it. I supposed I could have argued it up the chain but all a really wanted was to get it fixed. So I took the dealer up on his offer and once again the Sportronic Mode is sporty.

Depsite all the trouble corporate is going through, it might just be the local dealer that keeps the customers loyal. I know I'm sold

Pax to all

Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM
JMC

Very Nice!!!

Quick Reply: Sportronic Mode not very sporty