Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Static Buzzing noise from AUX-IN when using any car USB charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Default Static Buzzing noise from AUX-IN when using any car USB charger

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I have a 2009 Outlander XLS with Rockford Fosgate audio and I have recently started using the AUX-IN jack. If I connect it directly to my phone it sounds OK although it does have a bit of static noise at higher volume.

But the static buzzing noise becomes very loud if at the same time I connect the phone to a USB car charger. As soon as I disconnect it, the buzzing hissing noise disappears.

What I have tried so far with no result:
1. Use a different phone > no change
2. Use a different car charger > no change
3. Use the other power plug in the arm rest > no change
4. Eliminate the wire between the phone and AUX cable by using a bluetooth receiver plugged in the AUX IN port. It works, but as soon as I plug in and charge the bluetooth receiver, the static noise starts.

To me the conclusion is clear > any use of the power plugs in the car introduces static buzzing noises in the AUX-IN port, but the question is: How do I fix it? And is it a common problem with all Outlanders or is it something that only happens to my car?
It is extremely annoying and basically renders the Aux-In port unusable.

Thank you.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Clearly your fingers aren't broken, so you can google just fine.

You have a ground issue.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Look for ground loop

Old 04-27-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Clearly your fingers aren't broken, so you can google just fine.

You have a ground issue.
Man, I had no idea this is a ground issue. Thanks

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Look for ground loop
I had no idea what a ground loop is so I started by watching this video
. From what I can see, in my case the amp and the power plugs are "fighting" for ground and the way to fix is to eliminate the ground from one of them or connect them both to the same ground. But how in the world do I do that? Can anyone provide more details?

Edit: I've been reading on the internet for the past hour about this Ground Loop thing and it seems it is very common with Car Audio systems. Sadly there is a lot of talk, but little advice on how to actually fix it. Most likely I will take the car to the Mitsubishi Dealer and let them have a go at eliminating it, I feel it is a little beyond my abilities without a step by step fix guide. But before I go, I would really like to know if this happens to all Outlanders or it is just my car.

Thanks.

Last edited by Corbul; 04-27-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM

Thanks Vadimus. I found those ground loop isolators but I am bit reluctant to buy one, I've seen some saying that it also negatively affects the overall sound quality. I guess that would be the last step to fix the problem in case everything else fails.

I see you also have a XLS Outlander? Does it happen to you too when using the AUX-In ?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Yep. Same story when I use Aux in while charging phone or BT to Aux while charging BT.

I solved that issue by upgrading to FUSE/Link system which supports BT streaming natively.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Corbul,
I remember trying to use a ground loop isolator when I had a sound system in my Eclipse. It cut a lot of the bass out. I corrected that issue by re-wiring my grounding for all of my pieces of equipment.

If I were you, I'd buy some wire and some crimps and try to add some ground wires to the head unit and inspect the 12v outlet ground. The chassis is a good common location to ground.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Yep. Same story when I use Aux in while charging phone or BT to Aux while charging BT.

I solved that issue by upgrading to FUSE/Link system which supports BT streaming natively.
This is new to me and this is exactly what I need. I actually have a second BT device that does voice and streaming and I wanted to use that one instead of the one that comes with the car. But I ran into the noise issue and for now I stopped. But that FUSE system seems the answer to my problems.
Could you please provide a link where I can buy it and a guide on how to install it? I am definitely open to this idea.
Also, out of curiosity, does the FUSE system work only with the right speakers for phone calls or does it route the voice through all the speakers? The 2009 BT module works only for the right side when it comes to phone calls and it is a bit annoying.
Thanks

Originally Posted by ccernst
Corbul,
I remember trying to use a ground loop isolator when I had a sound system in my Eclipse. It cut a lot of the bass out. I corrected that issue by re-wiring my grounding for all of my pieces of equipment.

If I were you, I'd buy some wire and some crimps and try to add some ground wires to the head unit and inspect the 12v outlet ground. The chassis is a good common location to ground.
Yeah, it seems to be common with car audio systems, but this shouldn't happen with an OEM system. Mitsubishi should have done a better job with the wiring.

Last edited by Corbul; 04-29-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Corbul
Could you please provide a link where I can buy it and a guide on how to install it? I am definitely open to this idea.
In my case I replaced both MMCS and BT unit for newer, 2011+ versions.
Not worth unless you can find them really cheap.

Quick Reply: Static Buzzing noise from AUX-IN when using any car USB charger