Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

steel wheels and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Default RE: steel wheels and TPMS

ORIGINAL: roach
I know and I'm glad the biscuittried it because I would I’ve believe what Mitsubishi Canada told me .Those guys should know there product a little more before telling owner's wrong answer's.
Yeah, nothing pees me off more than someone who'd rather say something wrong emphatically, than to admit they may not be sure. My dealer service guy told me this 'may' be the case, but he hadn't yet dealt with them, so wasn't sure. Anyway... at least we know now.

I just ordered a set from Tirerack - I just got the fugly black 16" steels and blizzaks. I was going to try to go studded, but was having trouble finding a good setup - and blizzaks work well, although they have their faults.

Note: Tire Rack specially contacted me to make sure I understood that not only was I bypassing TPMS sensors - but with the steel wheels, there was no room to fit them if I decided to go with them later. I don't care.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: chili_g

ORIGINAL: roach
I know and I'm glad the biscuittried it because I would I’ve believe what Mitsubishi Canada told me .Those guys should know there product a little more before telling owner's wrong answer's.
Yeah, nothing pees me off more than someone who'd rather say something wrong emphatically, than to admit they may not be sure. My dealer service guy told me this 'may' be the case, but he hadn't yet dealt with them, so wasn't sure. Anyway... at least we know now.

I just ordered a set from Tirerack - I just got the fugly black 16" steels and blizzaks. I was going to try to go studded, but was having trouble finding a good setup - and blizzaks work well, although they have their faults.

Note: Tire Rack specially contacted me to make sure I understood that not only was I bypassing TPMS sensors - but with the steel wheels, there was no room to fit them if I decided to go with them later. I don't care.
Got My 16' black steel wheel last Sunday at Costco here in Canada and ordered my Toyo Open Country G02+.
Good thing that tire Rack told you about not being able to fit a sensor on the 16' wheel later on because my dealer never told me that when I spoke to them at first about getting the 16' with the sensor from them!!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
tcp

Another update to my quest for winter wheels. I stopped by the dealer to inquire about the steel wheels and asked if they were a "universal fit" model ormade with the correct offset and center bore. He informed me that they were a universal fit type (probably the same as the $40 ones at costco). They would require different (acorn) nuts from the alloy ones I have currently fitted (LS w/convenience).

After speaking with him for a while he mentioned that he has 20 aluminum rims in the 16X6.5" size coming in today. They are also a universal fit and have center adapters to make them fit. They look like this, but in the correct size:

http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...odel=Formula+5

He wants $100cdn per wheel, plus $5 for the center caps. For a winter wheelset this seems to be a bit of overkill, but the price is ok and it should sit correctly with the adapter. One concern is slush splashing through the wide spoke pattern. If anyone has comments about that, any info is appreciated. I'll probably get a set on friday and then start my hunt for the nokian Hakka 5s I want. mmmmmm nokians.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:36 PM

just to let you know, mitsu doesnt use the same pressure monitors on steel wheels as they do on alloys. They werent even available for steel wheels in the past, as there was no way to set them up... you see, the sensors require the use of a magnet to program them, and the magnet wont work correctly on the steel rim.
only this year has mitsu altered that. And its not on the outlander.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:10 PM

I went for 17' alloys without TPMS......not a big fan of the style but they were cheap...the hakka 5 were not ..

[IMG]local://upfiles/13837/55BE6944663B4A7EA5A21E8D0DF3B187.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM

I was thinking how hard it would be to make a simple hardcoded RF device to fake the TPMS signal.
Not simple....
http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage040.html

I'm waiting for toilets that samples your toilet paper and sets off a warning chime when you get up but actually need another wipe.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM
tcp

Actually that is a pretty simple system. The 68HC08 is a basic controller. As long as you can "sniff" the signal coming from the wheels and figure out what data it contains, making that info transmit every 45 seconds or so should be a piece of cake.

Maybe a device that holds your d1ck when you urinate is in the works as well.

ORIGINAL: chili_g

I was thinking how hard it would be to make a simple hardcoded RF device to fake the TPMS signal.
Not simple....
http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage040.html

I'm waiting for toilets that samples your toilet paper and sets off a warning chime when you get up but actually need another wipe.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 PM

its a ****ty system, that I agree with, but another ****ty thing is as of either this year or next year, TPMS is gonna be standard on all vehicles reguardless of make. Not sure why, I know at our dealer we have lots of concerns about the sensors and stuff.........oh a mental note to make..........DO NOT I repeat DO NOT, buy or use the the tire repair **** in a can, it will errode your sensors and there isn't a warranty around that will cover that. I had one a couple of weeks ago. I think its a small price to pay for having spare set of wheels, **** make a deal if you get your service done at the same time you want to have the wheels changed they may give you a break on the registration process for your sensors. I know I would for a good regular customer.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: moronicicon

its a ****ty system, that I agree with, but another ****ty thing is as of either this year or next year, TPMS is gonna be standard on all vehicles reguardless of make. Not sure why, I know at our dealer we have lots of concerns about the sensors and stuff.........oh a mental note to make..........DO NOT I repeat DO NOT, buy or use the the tire repair **** in a can, it will errode your sensors and there isn't a warranty around that will cover that. I had one a couple of weeks ago. I think its a small price to pay for having spare set of wheels, **** make a deal if you get your service done at the same time you want to have the wheels changed they may give you a break on the registration process for your sensors. I know I would for a good regular customer.
and why exacly is it a "****ty" system? there are no problems with it. There are only a handful of manufacturers making TPM systems on this planet, and the one in use here is not made by mitsu.

if you want someone to blame for having them in the first place, blame your average moron american who is seemingly incapable of checking their own tires air pressure. then, when they have a blowout, they can blame firestone, ford, and the government for their own utter stupidity.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Just got my winter tire today Toyo open country G02+ 215-70R16at costco steel wheels
Paid 700$cnd for the tire tx in and 173.16$cnd for the rim tx in for a total of = 873.16$cnd for my setup and I will be using the setup without the sensor becauseI did not feel like paying every year to get the computer reprog!

Quick Reply: steel wheels and TPMS