Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

steering is loose... ecessive sway 08 outlander

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Default steering is loose... ecessive sway 08 outlander

Just wondering if anyone else has a lot of sway and somewhat lose steering with thier outlander? I was thinking of lowering it and upgrading the strut bar does anyone have any ideas how to tighten up the steering? The outtie has 92000 miles on it, do u think that might be part of the problem?

Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM

anyone wanna atleast try to help?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM

My 07 has 96k miles. steering is just as tight as always.

when was the last time you changed out your fluid? what kind of tires are you running by now and how much tread is left?

I don't get the upgrade the strut bar thing. you already have a strut bar. how do you know it isn't working before throwing money at it.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM

maybe lowering it would help it may just be from the higher center of gravity from being in an SUV

Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 PM

IMO, if it was tight before, lowering it is only a bandaid until the source of the sloppyness fails.

Now if you are looking to improve handling, lowering would help lower the center of gravity. You could also go with a larger rim size so that the sidewall play is at a minimum, at the expense of ride comfort. I did this with my 1gen Eclipse; I went from a 14" rim to a 16" rim...an impressive difference both in handling and the outcome of potholes.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM

yeh the more i think about its more of the sway in the steering... compared to a car it doesnt handle very well... i bought this outlander for a 1st time driver so i want to make it easier to drive...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 PM

well yeah...it is a crossover...it is not a car. however keep in mind that the only crossover, as of a few years, that could beat the outlander at the slalom was the Porsche. For what it is, it does well...but it isn't a car.

I think I'd go back to the tires. How much tread do you have left and what tire are you running? We put new tires (Bridgestone Duellers) on a few years ago...the handling blew me away. That thing stuck like glue. Not as good as the Eclipse, but really well.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM

I have the bridgestone ecopia and they probably bout 10k miles on them

Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM

The strut tower bar reduces body roll and flex when taking a curve at high speed and has nothing to do with loose steering. When you say loose steering do you mean you can turn the steering wheel an inch or so and nothing happens. If that's the case its your steering suspension and has nothing to do with tires or the strut bar. Another possibility is a bad strut/shock that may be leaking. That would cause excessive sway even with the strut tower bar.

Last edited by azjake; 06-18-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

it would mostly be sway when i turn it feels like it wants to tip over i may have to look at a few different things but i want to make the handling more responsive

Quick Reply: steering is loose... ecessive sway 08 outlander