Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Stiffer rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Stiffer rear sway bar

hey 06,

dirt is right on; not hard at all; heck, many years ago i put an addco rear sway-bar on the wife's 3-on-the-floor amc hornet hatchback, and that involved drilling through the chassis to add mounts, and it was a fun, easy install. on our car, since it already has a rear bar, it's merely a matter of unbolting the old and bolting up the new-it couldn't be easier, and should be well worth the effort, if dirt's kind effort comes to pass!!! hope is springing eternal...again!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM

sounds easy to install and a awesome mod , too bad they wont make it for us....

Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM

$hit....oops, just e-thinking out loud....hopes dashed again!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:40 PM

Perhaps we can scavenge from the R/A sportback Lancer- perhaps they have a heavier sway bar than ours. Anyone have the time to dig into the specs?

Road Race Rear Anti Sway Bar (Mivec/Ralliart Edition)

This rear anti sway bar kit dramatically improves the handling of the RalliArt Lancer. It is 20% stiffer than stock. It helps eliminate understeer by helping stiffen the rear suspension. Our Kit is designed specifically for the Lancer and includes all necessary hardware. New end links with urethane bushings, urethane clamp bushings and bolts. designed just for the 2004-05 Mivec Lancer. Even Ralliart won't give you a bar this big!

$169.00
I wonder what the chances of making this fit are? I think we are about 1.5-2" wider than the Lancer.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 AM

i asked that question of my dealer's parts mgr when i bought my outlander; as is typical of mitsubishi, though the lancer, evo, and outlander share the basic chassis, the suspensions are different enough to have three different sway-bars with differing end-links.
there's a possibility that the evo bar could be made to fit by drilling through the driver-side conrol arm, but you still have the muffler hanger on the suspension cross-member to deal with. i'm reluctant to part with the $200 or so just to see that it's not possible. if i remember correctly, (i got many cross-eyed looks laying on the showroom floor under an evo) the driver-side rear shock retaining bolt also secures the sway-bar end-link; since those high-performance shocks are attached differently than the outlander's, trying to make the evo bar fit the outlander could be a frustrating, unsuccessful chore....i suspect the lancer bar might be just as difficult, as that car has no differential its bar has to be clear of, but hey, anything is possible. does rrm think that it is?

on another note, if memory again serves, at last year's sema show i thought there was a suspension manufacturer which would fabricate a custom sway-bar if you provided them yours, but i can't remember their name. hell, i don't know if i misunderstood what i thought i was told....i'll just have to be sure to go to atlantic city again if they host one this year to see if i can find them....if i wasn't dreaming the first time....

Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 AM

I know it's not going to be an easy fit no matter which way we go since there isn't one made to fit. If you come acroos the custom company, keep us in the loop. RRM hasn't said anything about the possibility other than the volume is just too low to make it feasable to outsource it for them.