Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Strange loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
ash
Default Strange loss of Power

Did about 10 miles in the Outlander (2007 model) this afternoon, stopped for five minutes, but when i started the car again and drove off there seemed to be a lack of power and when the engine revved the heater fan would speed up. There were no warning lights on to say anything was wrong. This happened in all gears, no strange noises or anything. I thought the handbrake may have been left on, but it wasn't and the car tells you when it is on anyway.

There does however seem to be a fair bit of black brake dust on the front wheels, I'm not sure if there was that much on them before. Could the brakes have been sticking somehow?

Will phone the service centre up tomorrow, but if anyone has any thoughts, please pass them on. The car is a UK Warrior spec 2.0 Deisel and has just over 10,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Strange loss of Power

Has the turbo pipe come off or has it a hole in it? When mine lost power the pipe had blown off and had to be replaced. The loss of power was to such a degree that i was only able to 'limp' home. I have a previous post on this subject,
bestof luck and let us know the result

Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 PM

As it seems to me, since the engine is controlled by ECU, it is dependent on the ambient temperature/humidity/atm pressure and such.
When you stopped for 5 minutes, the engine might have received a bit of a temperature shock (lack of cooling air flow in addition to the hot ambient condition).
When you started again and drove off, it might have seemed that the power had been less than before just because the ECU adjusted accordingly
to prevent any stressfull condition to the powertrain until it reached lower operating temperatures. In this regard I would suggest installing a turbo timer.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:44 PM
ash

Is the turbo pipe something I can see myself under all that plastic?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:47 PM

To see the turbo pipe you need to stand alongside the front offside(drivers side uk)wheel and look down towards the rear of the engine through the gap between the engine and the black high pressure hydraulic hose,just above the steering rack. It is very difficult to see, you will need a good torch! You can also see it (just about !!) from underneath if you turn the steering over tofull lock. You may also be able to feel if it's in place from below .
Handypal's suggestion also sounds reasonable but I'm not 'ECU' and electrically minded!!.......I've never heard of a turbo timer!!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:18 PM
ash

Just had the Road Side Assistance Guy down to look at it, as I phoned up MAP (he was here within about 45 minutes of the call - not too bad on a Sunday Night). It was the pipe, which he refitted, but when I revved the engine for him he said the pipe was expanding by about a third. The pipe blew off again. Back onto MAP and they have arranged to have the car picked up tonight and taken to a service centre. They have also arranged for a hire car to be dropped down to me tomorrow.

It all seems quite efficient, hopefully the car will be quickly fixed.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Make certain that they fit a brand new turbo pipe. On mine they refitted my original about 3 times but it kept blowing off. What happens is that when the pipe first comes off the inside (mating) surface of the pipe gets covered in a thin film of oil which is preent for lubrication of the turbo unit. Once the pipe becomes contaminated it wont stay put. Since they fitted a new pipe to mine I have had no further problems......... just to make sure the dealer fitted an extra worm drive clip!
Happy Outings
Ron

Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 AM
ash

Car got picked up yesterday morning and taken down to the Local Mitsubishi Service Centre (we don't have a Dealer on the Isle of Man) I spoke to their service manager at midday, but he hadn't had a chance to have a look at it and said it would most likely be Wednesday before he could.

Next was getting the hire car MAP Promised. Was told it would be delivered to my office around 10am, nothing arrived so gave them a call at 11am to see what was going on. Told that Enterprise the car hire company they use don't have an office over here, so they were going to try and source a car from somewhere else. They eventually did, but the hire company couldn't drop it off and I would have to make my own way to the airport 10 miles away and the car wouldn't be available until 3pm. I was a little unhappy about this. Anyway got a taxi to the airport (£19.00) and picked up the car, a very nice new model Ford Mondeo. I was most impressed by the size of the boot and my Boxer dog fits in there very nicely.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Any developements yet?????
Is it still poorly?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:52 PM

turbo pipe? I am curious if this could be an issue with my car sounding weird recently when reving above 5k rpm. It sounds like there is a hole in the muffler. So, do all 07-08 Outlanders (US) have that turbo pipe?

Here is my thread with the issue: https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_230212.../tm.htm#232730

Quick Reply: Strange loss of Power