Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

strange odor from A/C

Old 11-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Default strange odor from A/C

Im bringing me outlander in for that recall notice some time next week, but I thought I'd post here if anybody had a solution before I went.

I was just wondering, does anybody get a real strange and terrible odor when ever they turn on the A/C? A friend of mine told me its probably the freon, but this is a horrible stench. I know winter is comming and I wont be using it as much, but when I quick defog with the A/C I know that stench will be waiting. Any thoughts? Should I just change filter? Is there away to flush out and redo the freon?

Old 11-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Default RE: strange odor from A/C

Its not freon.
Its mold and mildew on the filter.
Just spend the $10 -$20 and change it , its easy and your problem of stinky car will be GONE!

Old 11-02-2004, 04:12 PM

good, thanks tuner

Old 11-15-2004, 03:53 PM
JMC

The new filter should do the trick. I get a bad smell when I use the A/C after a long winter, but it goes away soon after.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:37 PM

i, had em' bad odor b-4. i, switched to aftermarket air sys. better and washable.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:01 AM

ORIGINAL: tuner automotive

Its not freon.
Just spend the $10 -$20 and change it , its easy and your problem of stinky car will be GONE!
Is this the intake filter or the cabin filter or what? I just got this outtie in July and I too am getting this funky smell when I turn on the A/C. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Jewelz

ORIGINAL: tuner automotive

Its not freon.
Is this the intake filter or the cabin filter or what? I just got this outtie in July and I too am getting this funky smell when I turn on the A/C. Thanks.
its from the intake box, it will be wise to get rid of your box and switch to open air intake.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:30 PM
JMC

Change both....thae cabin filter can get really nasty............!

Old 08-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Thanks y'all.

ps/ besides the hp gain, whats the benefits of switching to an open intake system? I'm more concerned about fuel economy than anything else. Plus anything that might void warrenty is a no go for me.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Jewelz

Thanks y'all.

ps/ besides the hp gain, whats the benefits of switching to an open intake system? I'm more concerned about fuel economy than anything else. Plus anything that might void warrenty is a no go for me.
more performance....fuel economy is a no-go, some's good..some's bad...i, mean its air intake, pound more air and ya'll pounding more fuel. for warranty, so far system for the outtie is not regulated yet. b-sides theres only 1-2 company's that makes the intake system.( w/ the exception of K&N drop-inn filter) still consider not legal yet.( yeah ryyte...heard em' 8 yrs. ago) so, that means system (air, aftermarket) will void warranty. but who cares??? "RAIDER" is coming out!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: strange odor from A/C