Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Default Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS

hey guys,

for those wanting to install a remote start for their XLS...i had mine done recently and am pretty happy happy with the results

i had a Compustar P2W900FMR (remote start only) put in and my installer was able to preserve the functionality of mitus's FAST key
im able to remotely start/ kill the car's engine as well as lock/ unlock the car's doors using the same
BUT, should i choose unlock the car's doors after having it remotely started...i can
so what i do is remotely start the engine, walk to the car , grab the door handles, open and get in

there are several catches however..
1. i had to sacrifice one of my emergency keys. this is due to the presence of the RF chip built unto the emergency key which the car needs to see enable it to be remotely started
2. once in, to be able to drive off you have to either ....A) step on the brake, engine stalls...then re-start the engine by turning thekey **** (like you normally do), then drive away. OR B) get inside, pop off the key cylinder cover, slide in your other emergency key, give it a turn, the car defaults back to mitsu's management systems (or whatever you call it), then drive away

personally, i always use option A for convinience. option B is, right off hand, time consuming
interestingly enough, i passed by my local mitsu dealer to find out how much would a replacement key costs...they tell me $90 for programming the key and another $120 something for the replacement emergency key [][:@]

so far im happy with the install and how the integration turned out
it wasnt exactly cheap, i paid 420 plus box for everything but as it turned out, i should have been charged $120 more because they misquoted me for the starter bypass kit they used
they ended up using a CAN-SL2 module by Fortin Electronic Systems...and from what i was told the module was basically plug and play
initially they were suppossed to use something else, but when they pulled the panel off what they had was totally incompatible
as experienced as they were...apparantly this was their first stater install on a 2nd gen outlander
lucky me, i guess

i hope this info helps on those wanting to have remotes start installed

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS

btw, here are the links to the equip used:

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.co...shi/outlander/

Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM
tcp

The only downside to this is that there is a "chipped" key inside the vehicle at all times now...rendering the engine imobilizer useless.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM

tcp,

that was actually one of the biggest issues that hindered me from getting it earlier
but after a healthy discussion with my installer, they guaranteed me that the immobilizer will still work
i got lost with all the techy stuff...and i just decided to trust them (since they were very good in answering all my queries)
so when the starter was put in, i readily tested if itll still looked for the FAST key/chipped key...and for some reason, it still did

without theFAST key on you remotely(compustar) start the car, remotely unlock the door, get in, step on the brake to stall the engine, then try to turn the key **** to re-start....it wont budge and the info screen displays key missing

in another situation, start the car's engine either way, get in the car w/ the FAST key on you, the info screen remains as is...BUT once you get off the car while the engine is still running...the info screen alerts you "key location" or "confirmation" or something

i havent tried driving the car away without the FAST key on me, but the 2 situations above lead me to believe that the engine immobilizer will still work

will just have to actually try it though to be 100% sure

Old 12-05-2007, 02:17 PM

My starter is going in this Friday. It'sa Command Start 2-way. It will also be using the CAN SL2 bus protocol unit from Fortin (That's for the alarm disarm, locks, tach, trunk, etc.)

But Fortin also has a transponder bypass called the PATS-MITS2. In fact it is on the same page as the link you provided above. It does not require a Key according to the documentation. I guess I will find out on Friday. It may require programming at the dealership.

Here is the documentation for the transponder:
http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.co...ctmanualid=568

I'll post back soon about the success or non-success of this install.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 PM

So your saying that the option you go with (out of the 2), you can remote start, get in with the fast key, but then the engine will stall, so you have to re-start??

If thats the case, deff some pluses and minuses with remote start and our outtie...

Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 PM

By the way, what is an emergency key? I have a 2008 XLS with a smart key. My FOB has a steel key inserted into it that I can remove, however, I must insert it backside into the fob to use it. The key alone is not "chipped" and therefore cannot start the car without the FOB being present.

The 2008 XLS has two complete FOBs like this. Do you have FOBs and a seperate valet-type key?

I believe your 2007 FOB is different. See pics of mine:

[IMG]local://upfiles/15219/4B2A7A5F73F44092B8C376026BDD7E68.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15219/46DC632880EA49F9BE9D2BDB4CBE551A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15219/F66FFCF4915D4C02BD261B0EE3AF722C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2007, 04:18 PM

um, i dont have one of those keys, why didnt i get one? because its just an LS?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM

dekodan,

yup, i was able to look up the PATS Mitsu module on the fortin site, AND your right that it seems it doesnt require you to sacrifice a key
my installer suggested to go with the CAN-SL2 module so i can get more out of the starter than just start/ kill the engine, among which include locking/ unlocking and panic from a greater distance than what the FAST key can reach

tdford,

yup its not a perfect system but works out pretty good
i was told though that option be is pretty much what you normally do, in general, to be able to be able to drive off when you have a conventional key

Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 PM

wow your FAST key is exactly like the Lancer's key
the emergency im referring to is the same thing that slides out, but the 07 has a plastic base (where you hold the key)
its suppossed to house the key's RF chip ( i was told)

Quick Reply: Successful Remote starter install 07 XLS