Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Default Sunroof?

Well i have a 06 Outlander SE, as the name says. I was thinking of maybe adding a sunroof to it. Anyone ever have this done , or know how well it compares to being there from the start. I would like it to work just as well and last just as long as if it were there from day 1. My car has about 18k miles on it right now. Can anyone help? Prices? Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns? Anything will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Default RE: Sunroof?

Adding sun roofs can be a horror!!! I have heard so many times of after market sun roofs being cut into the roof of a car and leaking. I highly recomend not doing this. Also does it hurt the strength of the roof or car?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Take the few thousand dollars you'd spend on a sunroof for your suv, and buy a mid 90's miata. That'll solve your open sky dilema.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 PM

I'm sure most cars are built with the proper support to house a sunroof, as it is cheaper than making two different sets of frames. So adding a sunroof wont hurt the car or roof in any way, but like ant said, you run the risck of geting a crapy job done on it and ruining your car, plus you will probably spend twice as much as if you had to pay for it from the dealer.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Heres what my dealer told me. The one that they use comes with a longer warranty than the factory one does. There are some decent installers out there you just have to check their work.

I have a 91 storm sitting in my driveway with an aftermarket sunroof and so far it hasnt leaked.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 AM

Its true you could get a good job done. Your also running the risk of leaking water into your car and having a sunroof ruin it all. Risking an 06 doesnt sound like a good idea compared to a 91 storm. No offense to the 91 storm but im sure the value isnt nearly as high as the outlander. If something happens they could ruin the paint on the roof too.Whats something like this run anyway?

Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 AM

Ive heard alot more bad than i have good...thats why im so curious. I like the idea of going and getting a miata to solve my problem. Im not sure what i am going to do yet. I talked to the dealer and they said that they could reccomend a very good shop and have one installed with the long warranty as Boldygoingnowhere said. So i just have to make up my mind if i want to spend over a grand for a sunroof.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:21 AM

never got a exactg quote but sounds like it would be around 1500 bucks

Old 07-18-2007, 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 06OutlanderSE

never got a exactg quote but sounds like it would be around 1500 bucks
Ouch!!!! I'll sell you a Triple White 1991 VW Cabriolet for just $500 more. Onlything is it is a Chick car.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 PM

never, EVER add an aftermarket sunroof to a car.
first reason is that most of them are cheap, terrible quality.
second reason is that unless the car has a sunroof from the factory, you'll probably destroy one (or more) of the main roof supports that are also a structural support for the car. The factory sunroofs usually use an entirely different roof with additional supports to compensate for the hole, whereas the aftermarket will mearly hack a hole in your current roof.

so my suggestion is simple. DONT do it.

Quick Reply: Sunroof?