Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Terrible insulation....

Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Default Terrible insulation....

I have my outie xlsfor 5 month now and put 5000 Km on it. I can't feel that the inside insulation for the road noise is really a major on this suv. You feel like you always ear the exaust system, after a one hour drive on the highway I get a bad headache. Is this normal that the exaust make so much noise on that kind of vehicule, I feel like I have put a performance exaust system like on a civic......I would like to have low noise at that trim level,I mist my 2003 Accord. Now that we are in the winter time , the gas mileage seem to get worst every fill, I get 15,5 Liter per 100KM (city and town) and two week ago I get 20,4 liter per 100KM, we are far from 12,3 liter per 100km that Mitsubishi promise me. I will wait till spring and trade that gazguzzer or buy my self some earplug........Thank you!!!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Default RE: Terrible insulation....

ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER????? PERHAPS ANOTHER CAR????

Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your outlander. I have the US ES model 4 cyl, and my gas mileage is actually better than the EPA rating on it. I've never had a problem with exhaust system noise, but the outtie is not as well insulated as higher priced vehicles are, and I do hear some noise from the tires when driving.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:36 PM

If its that loud then there is something wrong with your vehicle. You also complained about trans slipping. Have you let someone else drive your vehicle or have you taken it off road?
Did you get stuck in the snow or possibly strike something buried in the snow?

My experience with the outie is that it is very quiet. Even road noise is barely noticable. I have been here for some time and I am not familiar with anyone that has complained about a noise loud enough to give a headache.

Have someone with auto knowledge drive with you and see if they cant identify the problem.

Personally, if mine made that much noise I wouldnt drive it until I was sure I hadnt broken it somehow.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:24 PM

The Mitsubishi Outlander has a pretty quite cabin, I have never heard any noise from the muffler, only heard wind noises over 100 Km/h. Maybe you should drive your Outlander to a dealer, and let the service guys test drive it, and hear the noise.

Also, about the gas mileage, it all depends on how your driving habits are. You can get the Outlander to preform in mileage like a Hummer H2 if you always drive with high RPMs.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Don't tell me that I am the only one with problem.....I saw one time on this forum someone that insulate is Outie in the back of the car with special insulation, he as remove all the back seat and the plastic cover.....so if he was satisfied with road noise, why did he do that???
I drive really quiet with my XLS (3.0 Liter), so I really don't know why I can get good mileage....What is your performance mileage (during summer and during winter) ??? By cold temperature I still get a slipperry trani, but if the Outie take time to heat (2 or 3 min) it's better, my dealer said that the transmission heater take a couple of minute to get to is right temperature. That's why I post on this forum to see if my dealer doesn't try to **** me off, so with other Outie owner is't a good way to have the right answer. Thank you!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Insulation is fine, and I never hear the exhaust. Its not loud at all, its a very mild sound if any. Road noise is different, which has been talked about in different threads. The road noise from the tires can get a little loud depending on the type of road conditions Im on (ex. rough, oil, concrete, uneven). The type of tire is mostly to blame for that though.

My weather ranges from -10 to 100 deg through out the year. And my mpg's have been pretty consistant for the last 18 months (24,000 mi). About 18-22mpg in city, and 22-30mpg on hwy. I have 3.0L v6. Yes, I get about 22-24mpg doing about 80mph, and get 26-30mpg doing 60mph.

It can be windy driving on the wide open plains of CO, and wind can hurt up to 2-5mpg. We had 30-50mph winds yesterday with gusts up to 80mph.... crazy

Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM

What is the best way to put mpg in Liter per 100Km, like we use here in Canada???

Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: piper

What is the best way to put mpg in Liter per 100Km, like we use here in Canada???
Ok, so I hadnt ever messed with these settings but finally did today. Here in US miles per gallon (mpg)is standard, and I knew about kilometers per liter (km/l). But I didnt know about liters per 100 kilometers (l/100km). Its kinda bass akwards huh....

Anyways, through the MMCS you hit the SET button, then -> System -> Unit. And you can change from km/l, l/100km, mpg (US), and mpg (UK). Here are the results from my short drive home from work (city driving, about 5 miles, no highway, about 10 stop lights, speed limit 35-40mph).

km/l = 8.0 Avg speed 28 km/h
l/100km = 12.5 Avg speed 28 km/h
mpg (US) = 18.9 Avg speed 17 mph
mpg (UK) = 22.7 Avg speed 17 mph

I didnt know there was a difference between mpg US & mpg UK....

Old 12-30-2008, 06:31 PM

it sounds to me like you may be driving in paddle shift mode and not paddle shifting

doing that would certainly overrev the vehicle making it loud and giving you terrible gas milege (kilometer-edge ?)

it would even feel like its slipping/slamming into gear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrible insulation....