Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire load question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Default Tire load question

So I am going to be moving out of state and by reading the placard on the drivers side, it only say 32psi for both. It doesn't say how much when the back is filled with cargo.

Anyone know the correct psi when heavy stuff is in the back?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Default RE: Tire load question

how heavy is the load?
i would say you can go safely to 36-38psi.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM

it doesnt say anything because the numbers are the same.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

If you are going to really load it up go ahead and air the rears up to 36 and be sure to put the diff in 4w Auto or 4w Lock to improve the handling dynamics with a heavy rear load bias.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM

thanx.

i only have 2wd.. I am going to load it full, top-bottom filled, and the 2 rear seats is folded down.

So the min. recommended is around 36? I don't want the tires to blow up or fail during the trip...that would be horendous in the middle of no where for me.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:49 PM

don't worry about the tires blowing up. it is highly unlikely.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 AM

I'm no tire expert but what I would do, ismeasure the distance between the pavement and the bottom edge of the rim before (no load at 32 PSI),after the car is loaded go somewhere near you where you can inflate the tires, and pump air in until you get the same measurement, or until you reach the maximum pressure rating on the tire. And do that all around, you should end up with more pressure in the rear tires, but considering the weight bias I would think that it's a good thing.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

My wife and I volunteer at a local charity, and this past Christmas seasonwepicked up450 pounds of fruits and vegetablesfor food boxesthe charity was making. I have a 2WD ES 4 cyl 16 inch Yokohama Geolanders and folded down the back seats making sure to distribute the load as evenly as possible over the entire area. I run my tires at 36 PSI and with the load in there was no noticable dropping down of the back end or flexing of the tires.

According tomy owners manual the total weight allowed for my ES (passengers and cargo) is827 pounds. Check your owners manual for your model of the outtie and if you stay fairly close to the weight allowed you should be ok. The handling of your outtie will change somewhat when loaded including braking distance needed,but as long as you keep your speed within reason and drive sensible you will be ok.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM

you should be less worried about your tires, and more concerned about beating up the suspension. tires will handle it no problem. its your suspension that is going to be under more strain.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 PM

I agree with BrodyGuy about the suspension. Every dip and bump in the road is going to be especially rough on your suspension if you're overloaded on weight. Thats why its important to refer to your owners manual and stay within the weight allowed.

Quick Reply: Tire load question