Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire pressure sensor going off sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Arrow Tire pressure sensor going off sporadically

It is weird the tire pressure light goes off sporadically in my 2008 Outlander XLS, I was wondering if anyone experiences the same thing in colder climate areas like New Jersey, and I was thinking it changes because of the temperature and the fact theres pot holes everywhere around here. Any advice or input?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 AM

I don't have that problem, but again I live in an area where 50 degrees is considered cold. My best advice is to go and buy a digital tire pressure gauge (about $9 at autozone) and check the pressure in the morning when you know the tires are at their coldest.

I used to use the pencil type pressure gauges, but I found the digital gauge to be much more consistent in the readings it gives.

BTW. You may want to check at what pressure the light goes on. I think its at about 26 psi, but you could call the dealer or mitsubishi's toll free number to verify. Also check the owner's manual to see what pressure Mitsubishi recommends to keep the tires at. For my 08 ES model it's 32 psi.

Low psi in a tire is a safety concern because the tire builds up heat much more rapidly, and it reduces the load rating of the tire which could lead to a blowout if the vehicle is loaded to capacity.

Last edited by azjake; 11-13-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
It is weird the tire pressure light goes off sporadically in my 2008 Outlander XLS, I was wondering if anyone experiences the same thing in colder climate areas like New Jersey, and I was thinking it changes because of the temperature and the fact theres pot holes everywhere around here. Any advice or input?
I've recently had LOW TIRE PRESSURE lights several cold mornings (about 0C) in a row, while my (maybe coarse) pressure gauge mounted on the pump showed around 32 psi.
I went to the dealership (BTW they do free Nitrogen top-ups, I mean tire not Nitro booster ), so they checked if TPMS is working like it should, and topped the tires.
Since than I've experienced no more tire light again.

Last edited by Vadimus; 11-13-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:48 AM

Filling it with nitrogen should ensure less changes in pressure due to temperature. Your air pressure inside your tires will change with temperature. Try leaving the car outside for a few hours and then bringing the pressure up to 32 PSI when the tire is cold (not after driving). That will keep it within the limits and wont set the sensors off.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 PM

How much is a good price to have nitrogen put into the tires?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
How much is a good price to have nitrogen put into the tires?
Most tire shops will charge you $5 to $10 per tire. They purge them and then fill them with N2. So roughly $40.

Not worth it in my opinion - it's just a crutch for bad maintenance.
Simply check your tire pressure when the tires are cold every month to save fuel and operate a safe vehicle.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 PM

It all depends on the climate and how much you drive. For me in Vancouver, it rarely drops below freezing and I drive for 10 mins to work, so it wouldn't really matter much for me. If you drive quite a bit in colder climates, it will save on tire wear and improve mileage. Nitrogen will ensure there will be less change in tire pressure when cold/at operating temperature.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:00 PM

Yes, I live up North in Alberta, Canada where it can get over -40 in the winter. My tire light comes on steady in the winter. What I found that helps is that I over-inflate the tires 2 lbs and I experience alot less problems.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:45 PM

When you say steady how often do you find the light going on? What the time span between your TPMS going off?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:15 PM

Can you mention how long between the sensors going off

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor going off sporadically