Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire Replacement - 2007 XLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Default Tire Replacement - 2007 XLS

I am picking up my new Outlander on Monday, and would like to change the tires ASAP. My employer is a tire supplier, and likes to have their employees driving on their tires. Unfortunately, my employer does not make a 225/55/r18. The closest that I can get is a 235/55/r18. According to a tech at the shop that I go to, it is possible that increasing the diameter by even this small percentage can possibly cause issues with the transmission/braking. Has anybody successfully switched to this tire size? Also, the manager at this location said that it is possible that MITSU could void my warranty for changing the tire size. Has anybody heard this either? The tire swap thru my employer is FREE to me, and also would result in an UPGRADE of the existing tire to a Bridgestone H/L Alenza (H RATED)....a 65K mile tire. Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Default RE: Tire Replacement - 2007 XLS

true, but you are not increasing the height, you are increasing width... you will be fine.
Also, you can always plus, or minus size one step and will not have a problem with the speedo being off...

No, Mitsu cannot change your warranty for changing your tires, as long as you stick relatively close to the factory size, then you will be fine.
I personally love bridgstones, and while I dont have any experience with the alenza, i am sure that since it is in that size, and because it is a bridgstone, you are most likely going to be getting a more capable, sporty, and comfortable tire than the factory CRAP that these things come with.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 PM
JMC

Go for some falken tires...

Old 03-31-2007, 10:39 PM

225/55//18 to 235/55/18 will increase your overall diameter by 11mm (approx 1/2"), your circumference will increase by 1.56%which will change your gearing only by a little. When your speedo reads 70mph you will actually be travelling at 71.09 mph to be precise.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 PM

I work for Bridgestone, so Falkens are out of the question. I just was most concerned about voiding my warranty on some fine print. Since I get the swap of tires for FREE, and Bridgestone only makes the one tire in the close size (Happens to be their best SUV tire)....The Alenzas are the winner.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:16 AM
JMC

Wow..too bad for you dood. Good luck with the Alenzas

Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 PM

Just a follow-up....I contacted Mitsu via the 1-888-mitsu2007, and had them verify with their warranty staff and engineers about switching the tires to 235/55-r18, and if that would void my warranty. They were nice enough to send me written confirmation that switching to this slightly larger size would not void my warranty so long as I used their wheels. So many companies would void the warranty in an effort to save a few $$$, but Mitsu was more than accomodating. Thanks to their quick response, I was able to talk to people here in the office, and they tracked down the tires that I wanted, and they will be at the shop near my home in time to install this weekend. So what all am I saying???

1. Mitsu customer/warranty service was GREAT!!!
2. With written documentation, this small change will not void the warranty.
3. We are not limited to the very few tire choices in 225/55-R18.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
JMC

That's just nuts...over tires? Wow.......

Old 04-03-2007, 05:35 PM

I know right,
oh well, some people just cant be told... let say it this way

"Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.
In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered” Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty"

"US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) "
Here is a great page that has really, really good information on the subject,
This is basically all you need to know
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act [/align]
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C.§2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.
The Act was sponsored by Senators Warren G. Magnuson of Washington and Frank Moss of Utah, both Democrats.

Purpose of the Magnuson-Moss Act
According to the Report of the House of Representatives which accompanied the law (House Report No. 93-1197, 93d Cong 2d Sess.) the Magnuson-Moss act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The legislative history indicates that the purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers (Davis v. Southern Energy Homes, Inc. 305 F.3d 1268 (11th Cir. 2002)).
The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Definitions in the Magnuson-Moss Act
The Magnuson-Moss Act contains many definitions:
[ul][*]A "consumer" is a buyer of consumer goods for personal use. A buyer of consumer products for resale is not a consumer.[*]A "supplier" is any person engaged in the business of making a consumer product directly or indirectly available to consumers.[*]A "warrantor" is any supplier or other person who gives or offers a written warranty or who has some obligation under an implied warranty.[*]A "consumer product" is generally any tangible personal property for sale and that is normally used for personal, family, or household purposes. It is important to note that the determination whether a good is a consumer product requires a factual finding, on a case-by-case basis. Najran Co. for General Contracting and Trading v. Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc., 659 F. Supp. 1081 (S.D. Ga. 1986).[*]A "written warranty" is any written promise made in connection with the sale of a consumer product by a supplier to a consumer that relates to the material and/or workmanship and that affirms that the product is defect-free or will meet a certain standard of performance over a specified time.[*]An "implied warranty" is one that is defined in state law. The Magnuson-Moss Act simply provides limitations on disclaimers and provides a remedy for their violation.[*]A "full warranty" is one that meets the federal minimum standards for a warranty. Such warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as full warranties.[*]A "limited warranty" is one that does not meet the federal minimums. Such warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as limited warranties.[*]A "service contract" is different from a warranty because service contracts do not affirm the quality or workmanship of a consumer product. A service contract is a written instrument in which a supplier agrees to perform, over a fixed period of time or for a specified duration, services relating to the maintenance or repair, or both, of a consumer product. Agreements that meet the statutory definition of service contracts, but are sold and regulated under state law as contracts of insurance, do not come under the Act's provisions. [/ul]

Requirements of the Magnuson-Moss Act
The provides that any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $15. The Rules can be found at 16 C.F.R. Part 700.
Under the terms of the Act, ambiguous statements in a warranty are construed against the drafter of the warranty.
Likewise, service contracts must fully, clearly, and conspicuously disclose their terms and conditions in simple and readily understood language.
Full Warranty Requirements Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:
[ul][*]must, as a minimum, remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;[*]may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;[*]may not exclude or limit conseq

Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 PM

That is one very thorough reply.....Thanks. Now I will not need to contact Mitsu again.

Quick Reply: Tire Replacement - 2007 XLS